Author Topic: Patrick Naish delisted [merged]  (Read 34799 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Patrick Naish delisted [merged]
« on: December 07, 2016, 03:54:58 AM »
Naish training with Tigers

richmondfc.com.au
6 December 2016

An exciting father-son prospect is one of two AFL Academy level two participants training at Richmond for the next two weeks.

Northern Knights outside midfielder Patrick Naish, the son of former Tiger Chris, and Bendigo Pioneer Kane Farrell will be put through their paces at Punt Road Oval as they gain an insight into the AFL environment.

The AFL Academy two squad includes the best 35 under-18 players in the country, who are eligible to be drafted in 2017.

Highly-skilled, speedy, outside midfielder Patrick Naish is the son of Chris Naish, who played 143 games with the Tigers from 1990-97.

Farrell is a midfielder/rebounding defender, who hails from Castlemaine.

Patrick Naish in action for Northern Knights.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-12-06/naish-training-with-tigers
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 06:45:44 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: F/S Patrick Naish & Kane Farrell: Academy kids training with Tigers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
RICHMOND will get a closer look at father-son prospect Patrick Naish this month as he completes a two-week training block at the club as part of the NAB AFL Academy program.

The 17-year-old midfielder, whose father Chris played 143 games for the Tigers in the 1990s before two seasons at Port Adelaide, is eligible to join Richmond at next year's draft.

He will spend this week and next week training at the Tigers' Punt Road headquarters for the 'club placement' period of the national Academy's program.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-07/work-experience-looming-for-2017-draft-prospects

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Like father, like Tiger, Patrick Naish hopes to kick on (Age)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 03:42:08 AM »
Like father, like Tiger, Patrick Naish hopes to kick on

Andrew Tate
16 April 2017

In the 1990s Richmond had two of football's most successful father-son picks in Matthew Richardson and Joel Bowden. But unlike Geelong's riches won with Ablett, Scarlet and Hawkins, the Tiger pair were destined to endure a premiership drought that has now dragged into its 37th year.

Patrick Naish, son of former durable forward Chris, is 18 and on the verge of being Richmond's first father-son selection since 2003 when Thomas Roach – son of Michael – was selected and played 11 games.

Naish knows all about the dreams and the pitfalls of the yellow and black horde.

"Everyone loves them when they are winning," he laughs during a break in his Year 12 studies and training for this week's AFL Academy commitments.

The Northern Knight half-back has spent the past two years in the Tiger training fold and the experience has prepared him for life at Tigerland should his name be called.

"I'm loving it. Just being around professionals pretty much 24-7," he said. "I have loved the experience so far. They have been unreal the past couple of years I've been there they have been unreal in my development ... but yeah, a lot of young faces all enjoying themselves pretty much.

"Because I've been there for two years now I've got to know everyone on more of a personal level, which has been unreal. But early on it was blokes like Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlastin, which has been unreal as well. Just teaching me little things. And then in the midfield group, Cotchie and Dusty and Caddy have been unreal ... helping me and giving me little tips here and there."

Naish's father Chris played 143 games and kicked 21 goals for the Tigers between 1990 and 1997, including an unbroken run of games for three years up until the end of 1996. He finished his career with 18 games at Port Adelaide before starting a career in sports management.   

Naish senior is now chief executive of the Reach Foundation after some years with the AFL Sportsready program. His background in youth development has stood his son in good stead. 

"He's been unreal," Naish says of his father. "He's helped me with footy as well, but probably becoming a person as well outside of footy. I think personally the better person you are the better you will fit into a footy club. He's probably helped me with that a lot more, as well as footy obviously ... at the moment I'm at school just trying to get through that, trying to do the best that I can.

"It's over the air to be talked about obviously as a potential Richmond father-son, but I think there is still a fair bit to go, I've still got another full season ahead of me to get a kick. So hopefully I do play well in the games and then we can talk about that, but until I get there I still have a lot of hard work to go."

Naish's talents in various positions are clearly rated by the Tigers. AFL Academy coach Brenton Sanderson said on an AFL.com.au podcast that Naish was, "a very good decision-maker and exceptional kick ... a perfect set-up kick across half-back". He added: "I really like him. I think he's going to be a very good AFL talent."

Naish is clearly a student of the game, saying he has not based his own football on any one player, but how individuals play their roles on the field.

"I like to watch games, so if I go to a Richmond game I will just watch their half-back and watch their running patterns," he said. "I pick out a position on each team that I watch. I change players each week pretty much. But I watch more of their positioning and what they do, the different players that play in the roles that I play.

"I feel like I play a lot of roles on the ground, but I enjoy playing half-back and wing the most ... seeing the ground, seeing the play in front of me and making decisions from there."

And where does he need to improve to ensure his selection?

"Probably my inside, contested game, that has gone up a little but I think can still lift a little bit more. And just to continue to work on my strengths, like my kicking and my running. Just continue to work on them to make them more elite."

Naish's pre-season trip to the United States with the Academy players was also an eye-opener as he trained with elite athletes at a Los Angeles college. 

"It was similar to Australia in that they are all passionate about their sport," he said of the athletes in the US. "The training facilities over there, especially the first week going to the academy was unreal ... an unbelievable experience. It was bloody tough as well, but I loved every bit of it.

"Playing AFL has been something I have wanted to do since I was born, so I am going to do everything I can to do it and whatever comes along I am hopefully going to use to my advantage. It is something I have wanted to do my whole life – I'd do anything for it." 

Naish is also determined to keep the fun in his football, even as the Tigers' notoriously demanding fans start counting their early-season blessings.

"[My goal is] obviously getting drafted to any club, but especially Richmond as I've barracking for them my whole life. I loved going to their games as a kid  ... I think just loving it as a kid, because Dad played it as well and he passed it on in a way.

"I just loved going for kicks with Dad. As a kid I went to all of his – because he coached Scotch originally – I'd go there every week and just watch it 24-7. I just loved it.

"And even still it's sort of a release for me just to take my mind off everything else and know that footy is always there that I can just play it and do what I love. And if I do get the opportunity to do that as a career that would be the best, that would be a dream come true."

Big goals: Patrick Naish is the only father-son prospect in this year's draft. Photo: Eddie Jim
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmonds-patrick-naish-hopes-to-kick-on-20170412-gvjw26.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Patrick Naish father-son: Richmond yet to tell star midfielder if they’ll pick him in AFL national draft

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
5 October 2017

RICHMOND has not told Patrick Naish whether it will grant his draft dream and secure the outside midfielder as the club’s first father-son selection in 14 years.

Naish welled up in the MCG stands when Dustin Martin kicked the last goal of Saturday’s Grand Final and copped two memorable fend-offs from Martin during a tackling drill last pre-season.

Only three clubs booked interviews with Naish at this week’s draft combine. On Wednesday he met with Fremantle, Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs.

St Kilda, Collingwood and West Coast, as well as the Lions and Dogs, have previously paid house visits.

Naish, 18, grew up idolising Brett Deledio and has studied the AFL’s complicated draft bidding system.

His two younger brothers — Xavier, 16, and Charlie, 12 — are also hopeful of playing for Richmond.

“I’m not going to lie — I’d love to go to Richmond,” Naish said.

“But at the same time I see myself as a professional bloke and a loyal person, so I’d take any opportunity with both hands. They’ve (Richmond) kept their cards close to their chest.”

The Dogs hold the No.9 pick and are a chance to bid for Naish before Richmond’s pair of first-round selections — 15 and 17.

The Tigers would almost certainly match that bid and take Naish, who would add a lick of class to their pressure and grunt.

Naish collected 21 disposals in the curtain-raiser to Saturday’s Grand Final and then informally spoke to Tigers recruiter Matt Clark and list boss Blair Hartley.

“When Dusty kicked that goal and grabbed his jumper I was like, ‘Oh s--t, I’m going to cry now’,” Naish said.

“Growing up me and dad went to most games, and I still try to get to most of the home games.”

Chris Naish played 143 games for Richmond from 1990-1997 and pores over his son’s vision with him.

Naish owns a raking right foot and kicked 10.3 in his 100th game of junior football.

He won two best-and-fairests at Ivanhoe and this year averaged 21.8 disposals and five score involvements for Vic Metro.

Naish has been invited to train with Richmond during the past two summers. He was placed in the backline and shadowed Brandon Ellis around the club.

“This year was the big one,” he said.

“Because it was before my (last junior season) I took away the factor that these guys are my heroes, because I wanted to get down to business and have a red-hot crack.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmond-hasnt-told-patrick-naish-if-theyll-pick-him-with-a-fatherson-selection-in-afl-draft/news-story/571f07833d7d5cbb0d7822b2e32d65ef

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Father-son prospect Patrick Naish hoping for more Tiger joy (afl site)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:01:19 AM »
Father-son prospect hoping for more Tiger joy

afl.com.au
5 October 2017

PATRICK Naish was cheering as loud as any Richmond supporter at the MCG last Saturday as the success-starved club broke a 37-year flag-drought with a 48-point Grand Final win over Adelaide.

As of next season, there is the very real prospect the young midfielder, and passionate Tigers supporter, could be training and playing with his premiership heroes as Richmond contemplates selecting the son of former forward Chris as a father-son draftee in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

However, the 18-year-old is quick to reaffirm he was not one of the hordes of Tigers supporters to descend on Swan St after the game.

After all he had more important things on this week, like showing clubs what he can do at this week's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

"At the start (once the Tigers had won) I was more in shock and couldn't believe what had happened," Naish told AFL.com.au.

"It was unreal."

Naish has supported the Tigers his whole life and has a strong desire to join the club if it is prepared to take him as a father-son selection.

However, the Northern Knights prospect is also "keeping his options open" and understands the process of the academy/father-son bidding system can be a complex one.

Richmond has selections No.15 and No.17 in the first round of this year's draft and it is highly likely the Tigers will have to select him with one of those picks even if another club does not lodge a bid for Naish.

The son of former Tiger Chris Naish, who played 143 games with the Tigers between 1990-97 (before 18 games with Port Adelaide), has become a regular face at the Tigers this year.

Naish had the opportunity to train with the Tigers on a full-time basis in December last year as part of the NAB AFL Academy's program. He's also spent time there periodically (whether that be weights training or looking at video edits of his TAC Cup performances with Richmond assistant Andrew McQualter) over the last few years.

"It's been really good to get an insight into where the club's heading and on a personal level to get an understanding of the intensity the players train at and how they go about their lives 24/7," Naish said.

"That's something I want the opportunity to do next year so I've just got to keep continuing to work up to that level."

Naish believes the bonds he has already formed with the players and coaches at the club will help him make the transition to being a professional athlete, should he end up at Richmond.

Captain Trent Cotchin took him out for lunch on his birthday in January and he worked closely with Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes and Brandon Ellis on the defensive aspects of his game.

"They just brought me in straight away. They were open for me to see them whenever I wanted and I could have chats with them about footy or life and I felt like helped me a lot," Naish said.

Naish averaged 21.8 disposals (ranked 12th in the competition) for Vic Metro during this year's Under-18 Championships and was named as an All Australian after a standout carnival, where he thrived in the midfield and also off half-back.

He also averaged 13 kicks from his four games, ranked second out of all the players to appear in the Championships, and as a creative onballer he thrives when taking the game on and tucking the footy under his arm.

Despite the strong form he produced throughout the year for Vic Metro, the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup and for Ivanhoe Grammar at school level, Naish remains in the dark about Richmond's plans for him in the upcoming draft.

"Nothing's set in stone and they haven't given much away," Naish said.

"They were obviously focused on winning the 'Granny' which is fair enough but they haven't given me an indication of where I sit either way at this stage."

Naish credits father Chris for helping him get to this point of his career, but he also joked his Dad enjoyed pulling out his own highlight tapes from his Richmond days far too often.

Chris Naish also played 18 games for Port Adelaide between 1998 and 1999, with Patrick, who was born in 1999, being told he was in attendance for at least one of his father's games – although, of course, he can't remember it.

"On-field he gives me little pointers on what I need to do to improve and off-field it's just with organisation and having that mental strength to go throughout what has been a long year.

"I owe a lot to him."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-04/fatherson-prospect-patrick-naish-hoping-for-more-tiger-joy

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Dont think we will let him slip...he will be a Tiger next year :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Patrick Naish (in the middle) at the Draft Combine:

https://twitter.com/AFLDraft/status/915752116651618304

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
hope it is just a ploy to make sure they aren't pumping his bid up too much so we have to burn a 1st rounder
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Could Richmond pass up father-son prospect Patrick Naish if draft price too high?

Richmond Patrick Naish father-son draft pick: What pick will Richmond have to give up for Patrick Naish?

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
16 October 2017

RICHMOND is indicating it is prepared to pass on Patrick Naish if made to pay too high a price for the talented father-son.

But AFL clubs believe the Tigers are likely to take half back and midfielder Naish with one of their two first-round picks which fall at 15 and 16.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said the brilliant ball user still had a massive upside after his breakout year in the TAC Cup.

Likely to be used as a long-kicking wingman and small forward until he grows into his frame, the 18-year-old is the son of 143-game Tigers forward Chris Naish.

Unlike some of the big-bodied midfielders in the draft he might take time to play senior footy.

But Sheehan says he has a raking kick, innate goal sense and a strong mark for his size after averaging 22 possessions and 89 rankings points for Vic Metro.

The Tigers have been aggressive bidders on a trio of academy players in recent years under the draft bidding system.

They missed out on all of Academy-linked players Jacob Hopper, Matthew Kennedy and Eric Hipwood, but are adamant they genuinely wanted those players.

The bidding system before the national draft allows clubs to lodge bids for players, with their affiliated clubs needing to take them with the next pick if they want them.

The industry expects given Naish’s talent a club will make a bid around the Tigers’ early picks to ensure he doesn’t fall through to the second round.

“The feeling is there might be some payback,” one recruiting source said.

But Sheehan said the Tigers could not lose with Naish given the way he kept rising to another level in his final TAC Cup year.

“He is a light-bodied kid but he has come on enormously. Last year he was just a hopeful but he improved out of sight,” he said yesterday.

“He had a brilliant year at the nationals and was dominant at Ivanhoe Grammar. He also went forward and kicked goals.

“He is more outside than inside now but he could easily play a small forward or wing role.

“He played on a wing in the nationals and was fantastic. He cuts back inside well, has a lovely step and acceleration.

Richmond does not have a second-round pick — its next picks are 50 and 52 — so it would have to make up points if it matched a club’s bid in the 20s.

“He uses the ball well, has an innate sense for goal and when he has one step to kick goals over his shoulder he still does,’’ Sheehan said.

“He is exciting to watch, a terrific kid and likeable in groups, so he’s a really exciting young player.”

All clubs scrutinised Jackson Edwards, the son of Adelaide great Tyson, at Saturday’s state screening.

He is seen to be in contention for a later pick, with Adelaide last year rookie-listing Ben Jarman, the son of Crows premiership hero Darren Jarman.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/could-richmond-pass-up-fatherson-prospect-patrick-naish-if-draft-price-too-high/news-story/aab2f9816a53afc89f708fff1dff9fc6

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
We have got to trade into second round or do a deal for 17 with 2 picks in early twenties or package Miles or Lolyd .Shifter makes him sound like a gun and has excellent kicking skills wasn't that the knock on him

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The knock on him is that currently he's as soft as Jordan McMahon.

Great kid but will take 3 or 4 years to build the confidence and body to play seniors.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
He is a great kick and we will pick him i am sure.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
IIRC, chris Naish was our highest paid player at one stage, when maxfield went to sydney we paid overs to keep Naish as We thought he would go to Sydney as well, as it turned out there as some AFL rule which prevented 2 players moving from one club to another..or am i living in a fantasy world??

If Patrick is going to take 3-4 years to develop where he can get injured, suffer menral issues etc it is a pass for mine.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
From his highlights, this kid is a very good kick and a good decision maker.

Definitely worth a punt, but I'd reckon he will fall into the second round as he still needs to physically mature a bit to be AFL ready, and most clubs will want a quicker return on a higher pick.

So would like to see us get a deal done for a second round pick.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
IIRC, chris Naish was our highest paid player at one stage, .

Nope, never
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)