Author Topic: Patrick Naish delisted [merged]  (Read 34825 times)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Patrick Naish - officially nominated by Tigers as Father-Son [update]
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »
Rumour’s circling the St Kilda might bid on Naish with pick 7.
Surely we would pass if this comes to fruition?
These F/S rules are really pooing me off!  Surely a F/S player who we have the right to claim should off the poach list, but sadly, no.  Naish I'm only 50/50 about, but the team who try to poach Maurice Jnr will feel my wrath!     >:(
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
The bid system is a stuffing joke. All because Bigmouth Fathead bitched about the northern academies so the northern clubs in turn bitched about the father-sons..... and now everybody loses....

..and stuff off to Cornes or Curley or whoever it was too... was their bitching when Adelaide joined the comp that caused the f/s qualificaton to double from 50 to 100 games...

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 11:38:58 PM »
Richmond could secure father-son Patrick Naish outside its top three draft picks

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
November 21, 2017

RICHMOND is set to be spared a difficult draft call on Patrick Naish with the Tigers likely to secure three top-25 talents before a bid arrives on the father-son prospect.

The Tigers will target tall players at Friday night’s draft and using picks 17, 20 and 25 before matching a bid for Naish would be a dream finale to a premiership year.

Richmond has been nervous that an early bid would come after five clubs visited Naish’s home during the season and then Fremantle also interviewed him at draft combine.

But queries on whether the outside midfielder can win his own ball should help Richmond secure the son of 143-game Tiger Chris Naish at a cheaper price.

Naish’s junior career failed Champion Data’s “Magic Number” rule.

That states that draft prospects who win less than 30 per cent of their possessions contested usually struggle in the AFL.

Naish recorded a contested possession rate of 27 per cent from 32 matches.

He averaged 22 possessions for Vic Metro this year, but only 4.5 contested.

A bunch of high draft picks have failed to kick on after recording similar numbers — James Aish, Billy Hartung, Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas.

By contrast, No. 1 favourite Cameron Rayner won an impressive 53 per cent of his junior disposals contested across 29 matches.

Rayner and top-five pick Paddy Dow went at 60 per cent at the national championships.

Naish only cracked 100 SuperCoach points in four of his 32 matches.

But he boasts a beautiful right foot and was the No. 1 metres gained player at the national championships.

Naish’s average of 516m was 105m better than the next player as he impressed some recruiters with his natural dare and offensive run.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick has also shown the ability to reprogram outside players.

This year Brandon Ellis went from an uncontested player to one who could win his own ball and use it aggressively.

While Naish can sometimes bite off too much by foot, one recruiter said he had a raking kick and would “look good in (our) jumper”.

Naish’s two younger brothers- Xavier, 16 and Charlie, 12 — are also hopeful of playing for Richmond.

The diehard Richmond fan kicked 10.3 in his 100th junior match and has trained at Punt Rd the past two summers.

Naish grew up idolising Brett Deledio. He sat in the MCG stands watching Richmond’s premiership after recording 21 disposals at 90 per cent efficiency in the curtain-raiser.

He would add a lick of class to Richmond’s existing pressure and grunt.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmond-could-secure-fatherson-patrick-naish-outside-its-top-three-draft-picks/news-story/9111bbfaa400548255a7beb52bee7762

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »
Patrick Naish prepares to live the AFL dream

Star Weekly
20 November 2017

Northern Knights’ Patrick Naish is waiting on the AFL national draft like many other teenagers around the country.

While the fate of many are unknown, Naish knows he’s almost guaranteed to be selected, it’s just a matter of which team he’ll go to.

Richmond has nominated Naish as a father-son pick. And while Naish said going to the Tigers would be a dream come true he knows the move isn’t guaranteed and another club could swoop on him earlier in the draft.

Either way, he’s happy.

If he is picked up by the Tigers, he will be following in the footsteps of his father Chris Naish, who played 143 games for the yellow and black.

“I’ve barracked for them my whole life,” Naish said last week.

“I was chatting to dad the other day about it and we were saying I’ve just about reached my dream of hopefully getting drafted.

“To play at Richmond is a dream, even to play AFL is one.”

Naish, who has spent some time at Richmond over the past year, said his experiences at the club had helped his football.

“I spent a couple of weeks in the pre-season getting to know everyone and getting to know myself in an elite environment,” he said.

“I was with them all day, every day. I spent a lot of time with the backline group and guys like Brandon Ellis were really good helping me out. I went in and did revision sessions throughout the year and got in there whenever I could.”

The 18-year-old this year combined Northern Knights, school football and being part of the AFL academy. He admits it was difficult at times.

“The key thing was to be organised,” he said. “I’m not the most organised bloke and I had to adapt. I got used to it as the year went on.

“I’ve played with a lot of enjoyment this year,” he said. “I was playing with my mates for the last time and I let results take care of themselves.

“Everyone puts pressure on themselves with football, I just wanted to enjoy it.”

Naish, who plays prominently as a midfielder, knows he has work ahead of him before stepping onto the AFL stage.

With school exams out of the way, he said he would try and relax and spend time with family, his girlfriend and friends before the draft.

“I was a midfielder as a kid and enjoy playing on the wing,” he said. “I enjoyed playing a bit forward and I see myself as a versatile player.

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/patrick-naish-prepares-live-afl-dream/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2017, 12:58:05 AM »
Sam Landsberger @SamLandsberger twitter:

"Patrick Naish’s 516m gained was easily ranked No.1. Lovely right foot, perhaps a little too risky at times. But his heavy outside game could push the incoming Tiger down the chart"

https://twitter.com/SamLandsberger/status/932828884684251136

dwaino

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »
Good thing Melbourne don’t have another top 5 pick throw away again then.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »
Good thing Melbourne don’t have another top 5 pick throw away again then.
Good thing??

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
Kevin Sheehan reckons the bid for Naish won't come until midway though the second round.

The father-sons: Patrick Naish

Naish, the son of former Tigers gun Chris Naish, is likely to be the first player to attract a ‘bid’ from a club — likely midway through the second round — and force the Tigers to match, which could send them into draft debt. However Naish is an exciting outside runner with a penetrating kick and knack for the goals.

Bids on Tigers father-son prospect Patrick Naishand Lions academy prospect Connor Ballenden are unlikely to come in the first round.

THIS is where it gets a little confusing.

The entire format for father-son and academy bidding was restructured in 2015 via bidding systems.

Clubs who already have gun academy and father-son youngsters attached to them now have to ‘pay’ to secure these players via multiple picks, because rival clubs have the right to bid on these players. This forces the nominated clubs to match the bid to secure the player. If they don’t, the player goes to the club who made the bid.

Each draft selection now has a points value attached to it, starting with Pick 1 (worth 3000 points) down to Pick 73 (nine points). Picks from 74 onwards are worth nothing.

The best way to explain the scenario is via a hypothetical example.

— LET’S say the GWS Giants bid on Richmond father-son prospect Patrick Naish at Pick 28 (677 points)

— IN order to snare him, the Tigers now have to match the Giants’ bid using the draft picks they already hold.

— FIRST, we must take away a flat 197-point discount (which is automatically given to clubs for bids outside the first round) that would be given to the Tigers, meaning they now have to find 480 points to secure Naish.

— THE Tigers’ next two selections, which are Picks 53 (233) and 55 (207) — but that still doesn’t cover the Giants’ bid, as the Tigers are 40 points short. And because their next selection (Pick 74) holds no points value, they would go into draft debt.

— However all is not lost for the Tigers. The amount of draft points owed (40 in this example) will be deducted from the club’s position in the corresponding round of where the bid was placed in next year’s draft. Therefore, Richmond would lose 40 points of value from its 2018 second round draft pick.

— NOW Patrick Naish is officially selected by the Tigers at Pick 27, but the Tigers lose their two picks in the 50s.

— THE Giants select again at Pick 29 and the predetermined draft order continues from there.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2017-times-predictions-and-picks-in-your-ultimate-guide-to-the-national-afl-draft/news-story/76c4676dd8855e2dd90983ad5c168d90

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 11:31:15 PM »
Richmond set to take Patrick Naish as a father-son selection

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
November 24, 2017

CHRIS Naish has received a positive indication of Richmond’s intent, and only a dramatic development will keep his son Patrick from landing at Punt Rd.

The Tigers seem certain to take the line-breaking, long-kicking utility in Friday night’s draft, an unexpected top-10 bid from a rival the only potential curve ball.

Richmond has the best draft hand of a reigning premier in more than a decade — picks 17, 20 and 25.

No reigning premier since Port Adelaide had four picks within 35 in 2004 has had as many high picks.

Chris Naish said he and wife Leah would be thrilled to see their son follow in his footsteps but also excited Richmond seems on the brink of long-term success.

They met the Tigers again several weeks ago after years of contact and every indication pointed to the Tigers taking him.

Richmond has warned it will not necessarily match an early bid but a pick swap handing them another top-25 selection in the trade period saw them covering their bases.

“Richmond came around a few weeks ago and we signed the father-son forms,” Chris Naish said.

“Even then they were saying they would love to commit.

“We will wait until the day but everything looks positive. They said, ‘We love the kid, we think he has a lot of upside’.

“But, again, they can’t pre-empt what another club will do. They will assess it on the day but the discussions we have had have been very positive.”

Talented swingman Jarrod Brander is regarded as a good chance to slip through to pick 17 as the Tigers go on the hunt for tall players.

To take Brander and two more talls, then match a deal for Naish afterwards, would be a dream draft for the Tigers.

Chris Naish played 143 of his 161 AFL games with Richmond between (190-97).

The stocky, clever 173cm forward kicked 212 goals for the Tigers before crossing to Port Adelaide, where he played 18 games and kicked 16 goals in 1998-99.

Some recruiters are concerned Patrick, a lovely kick who has played half-back and half- forward, wins fewer than 30 per cent of his possessions in the contest.

His father agrees with AFL talent boss Kevin Sheehan, who believes his massive upside combats any worries about contested possessions.

“He has got good endurance, he has got good athleticism, the opposite to his dad,” Naish said.

“The other thing is that he’s not too developed yet. He has already got attributes you could say are good for the AFL but he has a lot of development. So he will put on size and weight.”

Naish would be Richmond’s first father-son pick since Tom Roach in 2003.

“No doubt I would be proud,” Chris Naish said.

“He would be joining a club that is on the rise and in a really strong position.

“They have got their backyard in order, and I can’t see why they wouldn’t have sustained success for a period of time.

“As a former player it’s only a good thing to know your club is in good hands.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-set-to-take-patrick-naish-as-a-fatherson-selection/news-story/e4cc1c9846513eb5b12413e9b13c36fe

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 01:47:48 AM »
No reigning premier since Port Adelaide had four picks within 35 in 2004 has had as many high picks.

...and what a dynasty that set up.... :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

...and what a dynasty that set up.... :clapping

Not sure that was the point but most likely that wasn't your point....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »
The latest rumour is the Dogs won't bid on Naish because they have some Father-Sons coming through in the next couple of years and they want to remain in the good books with other clubs so the 'kindness' is returned [insert a Jackstar's  ;) here].
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pick 34: Patrick Naish
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 08:01:08 PM »
Like father, like son - a Tiger  :).

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
The latest rumour is the Dogs won't bid on Naish because they have some Father-Sons coming through in the next couple of years and they want to remain in the good books with other clubs so the 'kindness' is returned [insert a Jackstar's  ;) here].

😉

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 34: Patrick Naish --- officially a Tiger
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
Patrick Naish becomes a Tiger

richmondfc.com.au 
November 24, 2017 8:00 PM

Richmond have matched St Kilda's pick 34 at Friday night's AFL Draft to land Patrick Naish as a father-son selection, their fourth pick on the night.

Here is a summary of what Richmond fans can expect to see from Naish...

Patrick Naish profile

Born: 15/1/1999

Height: 181cm

Weight: 68kg

Position: Midfielder

Patrick comes to Richmond under the father-son rule (Chris Naish played 143 games for the Tigers from 1990-97.

He has been a member of the AFL Academy for the past two years, and completed his schooling in 2017 at Ivanhoe Grammar.

Throughout this year, Patrick combined playing for multiple teams, including Ivanhoe, Northern Knights in the TAC Cup competition, Vic Metro in the under-18 national championships and the AFL Academy.

Patrick averaged 22 disposals per match for Vic Metro during the 2017 under-18 carnival, playing off a wing, half-back, as well as through the midfield, and was subsequently rewarded for his impressive efforts by being named in the All-Australian team.

He played eight games for the Northern Knights this year, predominantly in a midfield role.

The eye-catching performance he produced in the Round 17 match against Murray Bushrangers – 25 disposals, six tackles and three goals – highlighted the considerable talent he possesses.

Patrick is a natural runner, who generates significant drive for his team all over the ground through elite kicking skills and offensive creativity.

He also has an excellent leap, which makes him a threat in the air with his marking power when playing as a forward.

We are excited to have our first father-son selection in many years.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-11-24/2017-draft-pick-34