Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 906031 times)

Bulluss

Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »
MT, great report again as usual.

You should put a copyright line at the bottom so that it isnt posted on other forums  ;D :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »
Snappy diagram MT. ;D (who needs pics  8))
I much prefer your Spud gameplan one though.

:ROTFL

You mean this pic FF ;D

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
I forgot to mention  one other thing about Browny. During one of the drills he got bowled over accidentally as Lids flew bye going for the ball lol. He's not meant to do any contact work until Feb but Browny got straight up and back into it  :thumbsup.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:27:26 PM by mightytiges »

letsgetiton!

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »
thanx mt, these reports are gr8ly appreciated

Ox

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2006, 07:54:45 PM »
So tell me.

How much better is the tactical side and overall quality of training under George Hamilton as opposed to Dummy Frawley?

Everyone knows it starts at training,which is why we did nothing,actually deteriorated inder spuds guidance.

The training ive seen under George seems to be of the professional level one would expect from an afl side.

blx

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2006, 10:48:12 PM »
....... .....   UNCANNY ....  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2006, 05:44:05 AM »
 :lol

So tell me.

How much better is the tactical side and overall quality of training under George Hamilton as opposed to Dummy Frawley?

I never went to one of Spud's myself. Watching the actual games on weekends in his last few years was painful enough  :-X.

IIRC when George lol took over he mentioned that we had done alot of plain endurance running under Spud but not game specific stuff such as repeating 200m and 400m runs with only short breaks in between to improve our ability as a team to repeat efforts.

As far as tactics/gameplan goes, Wallace's training methods are so far opposite to how we played under Spud it ain't funny.   

Moi

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2006, 08:53:26 AM »
MT, you got the training schedule for the next 2 weeks please?
Would like to go sometime, just not sure of times they're training.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2006, 10:25:45 PM »

I don't know 100% for sure as the schedule for the upcoming week is only posted on the RFC site each Monday but based on the last few weeks the weekly schedule is:

Monday 2pm
Wednesday 9am
Friday 10am

All training sessions are held at Victoria Park. There's normally plenty of parking space in the surrounding streets.

They have started later than the schedule time most times as Terry likes to chat to the boys beforehand. Each session goes for at least 2 hours if not 2 1/2.

Moi

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2006, 09:50:03 AM »

I don't know 100% for sure as the schedule for the upcoming week is only posted on the RFC site each Monday but based on the last few weeks the weekly schedule is:

Monday 2pm
Wednesday 9am
Friday 10am

All training sessions are held at Victoria Park. There's normally plenty of parking space in the surrounding streets.

They have started later than the schedule time most times as Terry likes to chat to the boys beforehand. Each session goes for at least 2 hours if not 2 1/2.
Thanx MT  :clapping

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 02:55:58 PM »
So tell me.

Everyone knows it starts at training,which is why we did nothing,actually deteriorated inder spuds guidance.

The training ive seen under George seems to be of the professional level one would expect from an afl side.

Not sure if I can be of any help here fOx.  I’ll leave the tactical side to someone else, but as far as quality of training goes, the difference seems light years apart.

The energy amongst the players and enjoyment shown by them is completely different and so much better.  You almost get the feeling the players are totally confident in the coaches around them and respectful of them.

Obviously I can only comment on what I have seen and one training session I remember, under DF, was in early 2001.  At the time, I thought it was one of the best training sessions (or part of) that I’d seen.  The ball movement by nearly all players was the best I could remember and the energy of that session was pretty high.  This will sound weird, but it was the only time I ever felt like barracking at training.

Despite all that, I left the session feeling a bit flat and with this nagging feeling.  It was nothing to do with training itself, but what had been said afterwards when the players were called into the middle of the ground.  Not sure how to explain what took place after that session, but all of a sudden the body language and manner of players changed from one of confidence to what seemed like bravado.

I don’t know what was said, or who said it, but the difference directly after the players were called in was like someone flicked the switch off.  Part of the speech may have had to do with Krak’s first game, but as for the rest, who knows.

I remember that moment like it was yesterday and it nagged me going into our next game, which happened to be, Round 7 against Essendon.

I remember Joel Bowden, prior to that game, coming out onto the MCG, as he usually did before matches.  Maybe it was just me, but as he went out onto the ground and then headed back into the change rooms, I thought there was no way he could play a competitive game of footy with that sort of body language and I just hoped one of the coaching staff would notice and snap him back into reality.

Anyway, for anyone who needs reminding, we got smashed, with the game effectively over after the first 15 minutes.  It was just luck, or whatever you want to call it, that we weren’t even further behind at quarter time.

After that game, I don’t think I ever had the same confidence in the coaching staff, even though we made the finals that year.

In the latter stages of DF’s tenure, training was often flat and uninspiring.  Of the sessions I saw, some of the drills were often over before they even started and there seemed to be a lack of variety, energy and imagination in the form of training, particularly in the last couple of years.

I sometimes wondered why the players worked and trained as hard as they did yet there was so little reward, in terms of wins.  It wasn’t as if most of them weren’t putting in and not trying, they just couldn’t get the results, despite their efforts.  And you just wished someone would give them some real direction and guidance.

One of the things I noticed with DF was that his level of intensity depended on whether we won or lost.  You could tell in his manner and mood in the press/media during the week that when we won he was more relaxed and didn’t seem as focused.  However, when we lost, he lifted the intensity and seemed to regain his focus.  There must have been some flow on effect to the players, which you could sometimes detect in the way we started some games.

Back to now.  There seems a real difference and a sense of purpose in what the players are doing and a reason for each drill and each session.  Things seem consistent and there don’t appear to be signs of slackening off at any stage, win or lose.

Who knows how things will turn out from here, but at least you can have a lot more confidence to think that things are a million miles from how they used to be.  Under DF, you were always waiting and hoping to see signs of improvement in the coaching staff, so that you could then see some signs of improvement in the players, which never really happened.

Another good sign now is that, in the past you felt there were various divisions or cliques within the playing group, which is an area that now seems to be gradually improving and that in itself is a big step in the right direction and shows we have some people who know and understand how to create a united environment and what it takes to build a winning team.

Most areas of concern, from past years, seem to have been addressed.  Things like overall skill level will need more time to improve, but are being addressed.  Another area that will take time is the confidence levels and self-belief of players.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
Good one Tiger S.

Great story about the calling into the middle of the ground.
Spud probably told the boys that he was staying for 5 years.
That'd take the wind out of anyones sails :banghead

The guy was and is the WORST  AFL/VFL coach in the history of the game.
WTF were they thinking when they hired him
Hes just a stupid man.

I like George and his staff  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »
Back from today's training session. I got there about 3pm and it lasted until around 4.40pm. All Tigers were present with only Chaffey doing separate running and agility work around the boundary.

When I arrived the boys had been separated into small groups aligned in a large circle around the centre square and were in the middle of a fairly simple drill of marking then handballing to a runner who would then kick to someone in another group and then the process was repeated. Virtually every group had a ball so it was pretty no stop and on the whole executed well.

Terry then brought everyone in for a chat before moving onto the second drill which was confined to half the ground. We had a normal forward line set-up at the Yarra Fall ends while in the centre we had four (Y&B) on four (red singlets). Kingy would throw the ball along the ground towards the Y&Bs and they had to work together to get the ball forward past the four reds. It was done ok although now and then it broke down due to either a missed handball, someone taking on the reds isolated or the four Y&Bs staying too close to one another flat-footed instead of running out into space or running from behind to receive the handball on the switch. When the ball was cleared out of the centre the enters into the forward 50 were executed fairly well. Tucky, Sugar, Joel, Casserley and Raines caught my eye as the best in this drill.

The next drill was a full ground rebound task from deep in defence to once again work on our run and carry style. Kingy would from 50 out kick the ball to the top of the square where a Y&B would mark and immediately play on. With the reds and Y&Bs beginning in a huddle on the 50 then breaking clear into 1-on-1s, the Y&Bs had to work the ball up to the forward line. Initially the drill was a bit stilted (such as Gas holding onto the ball too long in the backline instead of getting it moved on quickly). The movement forward was also mainly kick and chip with few players breaking the lines by running past to receive a handpass. Terry and the coaching staff had a few words to those down back and in the centre. After that the drill was better performed as it went along and there was some nice movement of the footy more in line with Wallace's gameplan.

The final drill was much like the third one except the reds would win the footy out of the centre and kick long to the forward line whereby a Y&B would mark then play on. By now we seemed to be performing the drills well.

The training session was then completed with a one quarter scratch match between the yellows and blacks. Browny and Tivs didn't participate and instead worked on 1-on-1 stuff alogn the boundary.

The teams were:

Yellows         Blacks

1. Newman     4. Raines   
2. Gas             5. Simmonds
3. Deledio        8. Roach
10. Stafford    14. Polo
11. J.Bowden 16. P.Bowden
12. Richo       18. Rodan
13. Knobel     19. Limbach
15. Pettifer     20. Hall
17. Johnson    21. Tuck
25. Schulz      22. Meyer
26. Pattison    23. Jackson
27. Krakouer   24. Cogs
29. Oaks         34. Hughes
30. Tambling   35. White
31. Hyde          36. Thursfield
33. Hartigan    37. Casserley
39. Kellaway    38. McGuane
40. Moore        41. Foley
42. Humm       43. Howat             
                       44. Graham

Some of the match-ups were:

Hughes-Gas,  Limbach-Kellaway

Foley-Lids, Simmonds-Knobel, P.Bowden-Hartigan,
Roach-Hyde, Cogs-Howat, Casserley-Sugar, Rodan-Newman

Jackson-Pettifer, Tuck-Patto, Raines-Humm
Hall-Stafford, Thursfield-Richo, White-Tambling

Final Scores for the quarter:

Yellows 2.6-18  (Tambling 1.2, Knobel 1.1, Stafford 0.1, Rushed 0.2) - the wind was holding up the ball at the Station end the Yellows were kicking to. Tambling had one that held up after it looked like it would easily fly through the goals.

Blacks 2.0-12  (Rodan 1.0 and I didn't see properly who got the other but it might have been Rodan again running into goal at the Yarra Falls end).

Simmonds (set-shot) and Stafford (snap) also had chances to score but each kicked the ball out on the full :P.

Sugar and Tuck were their usual class.
Pettifer was very influential running up and down the ground which was great to see.
Liked Rainesy's game today too.
Tambling was just too quick and good out of a forward pocket. He could have had 3-4 goals.
Thursty didn't do too bad on Richo.

The boys then finished off warming-down with stretches while Tambo, Rodan, Krakouer and Simmonds did goalkicking practice. Lids took a ping from about 40m out on a 60 degree angle  and slotted it through the middle giving himself the two fingers as it sailed through ;D.

PS. Photos to come (sorry Moi and Julz - no shirtless ones today lol).   

letsgetiton!

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:38 PM »
Good one Tiger S.

Hes just a stupid man.

thats a bit unfair! do u know how many stupid ppl u r insulting by putting spud in their group! spud was worse than stupid, he was so stupid that he made every stupid person in the world seem like einstein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid ppl have hope , spud has no hope! lol

Moi

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2006, 06:21:45 PM »
Good one Tiger S.

Hes just a stupid man.

thats a bit unfair! do u know how many stupid ppl u r insulting by puuting spud in their group! spud was worse than stupid, he was so stupid that he made every stupid person in the world seem like einstein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid ppl have hope , spud has no hope! lol

Well said, X lol  :clapping