Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 906140 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2007, 09:19:53 AM »
Sorry MT but can you explain for us ex-pat Vics or interstaters, o/s what actually is Gosch's paddock and where it actually is?

Gosch's Paddock is on the corner of Punt Road & Swan St in Richmond. It is the first oval in the precinct along Swan st as you head towards Olympic park.

Have no idea why it's call Gosch's Paddock  ;D

If you come out of Punt Road Oval, turn right and head along Punt Road under the rail line to the next set of lights (Swan St) you're there  :thumbsup One would think they players would run/jog there  :clapping

Are the boys training Friday? If so do we know where
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #346 on: January 23, 2007, 09:38:34 AM »
This is where the new stadium will be built for the Melbourne Victory and Storm

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #347 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »

I think unless they increase the capacity of the new stadium it will be Storm only  ;D :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #348 on: January 23, 2007, 10:33:45 AM »

Are the boys training Friday? If so do we know where

Well I've managed to find an answer to my own question ;D

Pre-season Training Times

This week's training sessions:

Wednesday, January 24 10am  Victoria Park

Friday, January 26   8am  :gobdrop :gobdrop  Victoria Park

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=insidetheclub&spg=aroundtheclubdisplay&articleid=312484

Ramps

« Reply #349 on: January 23, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »

I think unless they increase the capacity of the new stadium it will be Storm only  ;D :thumbsup

The government shouldnt be wasting taxpayers dollars on that stuff. I would have thought $200 million could build a few schools and put more nurses and doctors into the health system to cut down waiting lists. Its a disgrace. The government could just go down to Albert Park and pump $20 million into Bob Jane Stadium and make it a Hindmarsh replica and save the taxpayers a bundle...Its a joke, a and a disgrace.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »
Gosch's Paddock used to be a tip (which could explain why the gov't wants Collingwood there).
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #351 on: January 23, 2007, 01:53:19 PM »
Here's a map Julz. The Tiges train on the one called Gosch's Oval on the map.
http://203.26.235.226/permits/parks/printpage.cfm?pid=149&pop=true

Gosch's Paddock used to be a tip (which could explain why the gov't wants Collingwood there).

:rollin
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

The government shouldnt be wasting taxpayers dollars on that stuff. I would have thought $200 million could build a few schools and put more nurses and doctors into the health system to cut down waiting lists. Its a disgrace. The government could just go down to Albert Park and pump $20 million into Bob Jane Stadium and make it a Hindmarsh replica and save the taxpayers a bundle...Its a joke, a and a disgrace.

Bob Jane stadium wouldn't be the home of South Melbourne Hellas be any chance Ramps  :D.

Seriously unless they increase the capacity to 30,000 then as WP said it'll only be used by the Storm which defeats the purpose it was meant to be built for which was a multi-purpose stadium for soccer, rugby and rugby league.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »
Awesome report & pics. :bow

Is Browny showing signs at tr aining that he might be getting back to his best?

Also how is Newman going?

Thanks. :)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »
Thanks MT & WP.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »

Ta Magic.

The real stuff will test Browny's body out properly when he needs to recover on a weekly basis but going by his second quarter yesterday when he had the ball on a string and the preseason training he has done so far he is definitely getting back to near his best IMO. He looks in top physical condition, he's moving freely dodging and weaving, and he's doing a full week's training with the main squad unlike last year when he could only train once a week. He also doesn't have the rod in his leg anymore which helps. There's nothing to say that he won't be back starring again shifting between forward and midfield roles.

Newy is joining in for most of the drills with the main squad. Probably doing about 85% of each session on average. Yesterday he did the first 3 drills and played in the scratch match. He only missed the last drill and that's probably only due to the Club being cautious with his recovery as he played fairly well in his usual HBF rebounding role. Although he's well ahead of where Browny was this time last year and he may play quite of bit of senior footy, I'm not expecting too much from Newy this year just because he's had a modified preseason. Look out 2008 for mine. Once again we won't know how Newy will really go until the real stuff starts but it's just great to see him out there again.   

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »

Ta Magic.

The real stuff will test Browny's body out properly when he needs to recover on a weekly basis but going by his second quarter yesterday when he had the ball on a string and the preseason training he has done so far he is definitely getting back to near his best IMO. He looks in top physical condition, he's moving freely dodging and weaving, and he's doing a full week's training with the main squad unlike last year when he could only train once a week. He also doesn't have the rod in his leg anymore which helps. There's nothing to say that he won't be back starring again shifting between forward and midfield roles.

Newy is joining in for most of the drills with the main squad. Probably doing about 85% of each session on average. Yesterday he did the first 3 drills and played in the scratch match. He only missed the last drill and that's probably only due to the Club being cautious with his recovery as he played fairly well in his usual HBF rebounding role. Although he's well ahead of where Browny was this time last year and he may play quite of bit of senior footy, I'm not expecting too much from Newy this year just because he's had a modified preseason. Look out 2008 for mine. Once again we won't know how Newy will really go until the real stuff starts but it's just great to see him out there again.   

Thanks again MT.
These almost forgotten heroes will be like a couple of new recruits in 07.
However ironically it's these guys missing that exposed plenty of our juniors to senior footy last year which as we know many thrived on.
There seems far more depth at the Tigers leading into this season than I can remember for many years. There is plenty of pressure on all players to perform including the seniors. 8)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2007, 06:37:13 PM »
There seems far more depth at the Tigers leading into this season than I can remember for many years. There is plenty of pressure on all players to perform including the seniors. 8)

Say that again Magic  :thumbsup. It's tough to come up with an obvious 22 now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #358 on: January 24, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
The is the second half of today's training report as my computer crashed  while typing the first bit :scream. I'll post the first half later.

--------------------------------

Next up was three 15min quarters scratch match. The standard skill-wise was much higher than the average one on Monday which was good to see. Good intensity, pressure and tackling too. No new injuries to report which is the main thing.

Plough tried some guys in positions you wouldn't expect them to play for the whole game.

Lids played in defence on a HBF or as a sweeper/loose man for the Yellows; Swapped with Polo and Joel in those roles.

Connors was used for a while in a similar role at the other end for the Whites.

Tuck played FF;

Riewoldt played FB/CHB on Richo in a tough lesson. Got the run around up to half-time trying to keep up with Richo but in the third quarter got the footy a couple of times and rebounded well.

Clever played in defence (played for both teams) yet was able to push forward and kick 2.1 goals. The line "who's on Clever" was yelled out after his second. Was more productive once he switched to the whites.

It looked like Thursty was tried for a while at FF.

Raines and Browny spent most of the time in the middle. Rainesy had a blinder in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Only blemish was his goalkicking (1 goal, 2 behinds and 1 OOTF). Browny was solid but not as influential as on Monday.

McGuane once again played forward and showed he has improved. Kicked 2 goals in the first quarter.

Moore looks like he has put his hand up for the third tall defender role this year taking over from Chubba. Once again a solid game from him.

Howat was put on a HFF in the third quarter.

Bests

Yellows: Foley (no wonder he's leading the NAB top 15 thingy), Richo, Moore, Polo, Sugar, Lids.

Whites: White, Rainesy, Petts, Paddy, Hughes (after quarter time).

The yellows seemed to have more possession yet they held it up and chipped more. The whites had far more scoring attempts but were off-target.

Scores

Yellows:  2.0   7.1    9.1-55
Whites:   3.2   5.4    7.9-51

Scorers

Yellows:
Goals: Richo 3 (one wasn't a goal as he was 1m across the goalline lol but it was given despite the protests lol), Polo, Foley, Hartigan, Moore, Lids, Jacko. Hughes 0.1

Whites:
Goals: McGuane 2, Hughes 2, Pettifer, Krak 1.2, Raines 1.2 (plus one OOTF). Howat 0.1, White 0.1, Tivs 0.1, Edwards 0.1. Rushed 0.1

Match-ups:

Once again heaps of rotations today across every line; not just the midfield so I didn't get a lot of them but here are some:

White B:   King       Thursty                       Hughes
Yellow F:  Browny     Hughes (as a yellow)/Jacko    Jacko

White HB:  Clingan    Riewoldt        Connors - loose man
Yellow HF: Harts      Richo

White Mid:  Tivs         Raines/White   King    Howat   Krak         White   Paddy/Cass
Yellow Mid: Polo/Meyer   Browny         Tambo   Foley   Meyer        Sugar    Razor

White HF:  Pettifer     White/Rainesy       Krak/Howat
Yellow HB: Newman       Lids                Moore

White F:   McGuane           Tuck
Yellow B:  Polak/Hughes      Gas/Polak

White Foll:  Graham
Yellow Foll: Knobel/Patto

After the scratch match, the draftees went off and Knobel, Browny, Patto, Razor and Newy broke away from the main squad to do reflex marking exercises. The rest of the squad completed the final drill which was the same one as Monday where two groups on midfielders in guernseys vs singlets would rebound from defence to the group of forwards/defenders waiting at the other end.

Mid group #1: Graham, McGuane, Polo, White, Raines, King, Jacko.
Mid group #2: Krak, Tambo, Foley, Paddy, Tivs, Howat, Meyer, Hughes.

Forward group:  Petts v Moore, Richo v Gas, Tuck v Lids, Harts V Joel. Polak would rotate the loose man role with Joel and Lids.

Overall very well done. One of their best drill sessions. Field foot and hand passing and running to receive was very crisp clean. Only blemish was the goalkicking towards the end.  For every miss the forwards as a group had to go for a run to the wing and back. One of the assistant shouted out "if the goal is kicked we finish up". Jacko had the ball and missed completely lol. Then Pettifer kicked a point followed by Richo who brought up his 5th loud "F---!" for the day. Thankfully Clever ran through the midfield and dobbed one from 50 directly in front on the run to put everyone out of their misery.

And that was it. The warmed down and finished with some goalkicking practice. I'll post some photos later tonight.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
Training today was at Vic Park from 10am to about 1pm. Initally it wa breezy and it was spitting but it finally cleared to a lovely sunny day. The only absentees were Simmo, Sarge, Kingsley, Hyde and Cogs. In the rehab group were just JON and Petersen. Both again didn't do any running and just did reflex and handballs drills between themselves as well as push-ups. Patto was back doing the main session which was good to see.

Training began with the squad split into 3 groups with two at either end of the ground working on their leads while the midfielders worked on throw-in and ball-up contests. Lids always stands out when he grabs the foooty and accelerates out of the pack into space :thumbsup. The group down at our end containing Richo, Browny, Harts, Meyer, Jacko, White and Krak, worked with Jade Rawlings on forward set-ups and freeing up teammate into space inside 50 which most of the time was White. They also again tried practising their speccies but the incoming kicks were most of the time off-target from the bag so only Richo got a decent grab. Meyer had the best leap and hangtime but he and ball were nowhere near each other :p.

The next drill was a standard full ground length rebounding drill going back and forth between ends. Half-wa
y through the groups at either end would swap by sprinting to the opposite end of the ground. In the sprint
towards the Sherrin stand end Newy came first :thumbsup followed by Tivs. On the whole cleanly done. I only
saw a couple of stuff-ups (two handballs fumbled because they went behind the receiving player plus one pass
 to Richo that landed a metre in front. That brought out the first "F---!" for the day). Foley, White, Lids
and Meyer were the standouts.

I forgot to add before that during the scratch match, someone broke the team rules by, as an attacker, standing inside 50. Browny and Richo were yelling out get out there and after the play had stopped Browny went ape - "what the eff are you doing in there if you're not doing anything. Get the eff out of there".