Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 915819 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #555 on: May 10, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »
What are your thoughts on Brian Royal at this point MT.?

What role is he playing at training? It concerns me that our skill levels are still so ordinary. :-\

At training Royal concentrates more on centre bounce and midfield set-ups. Towards the end of training he often chats 1-on-1 with some of the younger players.

I've said before that I don't believe we are strict enough on skill errors at training.

We've had the same assistant coaches for 3 years. McRae is the one newbie as development coach. Probably a good time at the end of year to get some fresh ideas into the Club and move Royal and King on. Not sure who should replace them though. Voss' name stands out but you have to keep in mind that a great player doesn't always make a great coach. For every Matthews, Sheeds and Worsfold there's a Watson, Spud and Hart. I wonder if we would have Micky McGuane back.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #556 on: May 10, 2007, 02:16:47 PM »
With our depleted ruck stocks, how did Simmo look?  And Knobel? Patto?  And do you think Kingsley will be playing for the seniors very soon?
Simmo and Knobel didn't do much. Just some handballing with the others in the rehab group.

Patto did the whole session and rucked against Graham in the scratch match. He played okay. Field passing is still an issue though  :-\.

Kingsley is over his injury and did the whole session as well. I still reckon he'll play for Coburg this week. There would be an uproar if he came in to replace Schulz ahead of Jack given the total youth path we are going down now. Jack has earnt a call-up after good form at Coburg over several.   

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2007, 05:09:55 PM »
Voss' name stands out but you have to keep in mind that a great player doesn't always make a great coach. For every Matthews, Sheeds and Worsfold there's a Watson, Spud and Hart. I wonder if we would have Micky McGuane back.   

Who is an absolute mongrel star midfielder who had to train twice as hard as anyone just to make it. We need someone like that.

Kirky, lets get Brett Kirk.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #558 on: May 11, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
Who is an absolute mongrel star midfielder who had to train twice as hard as anyone just to make it. We need someone like that.

Kirky, lets get Brett Kirk.
I like the way Kirk plays too and he has reached the holy grail but not sure if I want to watch us play the way the Swans do 22 weeks of the year  :P.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #559 on: May 11, 2007, 10:28:39 PM »
Why don't we get Browny and Wallace to tempt Scotty West to Richmond?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #560 on: May 11, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »
Why don't we get Browny and Wallace to tempt Scotty West to Richmond?
I think doggie fans hate us enough Julz lol.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #561 on: May 14, 2007, 01:19:04 PM »
Tuesday, May 15      2pm     Punt Road Oval

Thursday, May 17  4pm     AAMI Stadium
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #562 on: May 15, 2007, 04:52:06 PM »
A overcast day at Punt Rd but the rain held off until just before the end of training. The session went for about an hour and 20 minutes.

The session began by the squad splitting up into its 4 skill groups - defenders, midfielders, forwards and rucks.

Defenders: Newy, Rainesy, Polak, Joel, JON, Thursty, McGuane, King
The defenders under David King worked on their switching of play and kicking out to the opposite wing.

Midfielders: Lids, Tambo, Edwards, Polo, Sugar, Tuck, Jacko, Tivs, White, Foley, Howat
Rucks: Patto, Graham
The midfielders split in two teams and worked under Royal and Monkhurst on clearances from stoppages (ball-ups)

Forwards: Riewoldt, Richo, Petts, Meyer, Schulz, Krak, Hyde, Hughes
The forwards under Rawlings practiced their leading and passes inside 50. They would often switch across the HF forward line to free up a lead to the other side.

In the Rehab group were:  Simmo, Browny, Knobel, Paddy, Harts. Just did handballing.

In the rooms: Peterson, Cass, Connors, Moore

Absent/didn't see: Kingsley, Hall, Cogs, Collins, Clingan   

When the whole squad rejoined together Joel just did some running. Joel said there's nothing wrong. It's a short week so he didn't have to do the whole session.

The rest of the session concentrated on rebounding, running and passing drills. Players encouraged to run hard forward in numbers and play a more direct style of footy through the centre switching to a teammate on the other side of the square in space. Of course a lot easier to do with no opposition but the skill level was actually very good. Blingers was on fire.

They finished off with some goalkicking both on the run and set shots. Jack and Lids worked on their contested marking at the end. Maybe a sign Lids may play more forward this week.

Any questions just fire away.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #563 on: May 21, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »
Training times this week:

Wednesday, May 23   2pm   Punt Road Oval

Friday, May 25  TBC   

Moi

« Reply #564 on: May 23, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
I think MT's given up on footy and gone to watch the polo.
Cos I got this strange SMS saying Polo training lol

More to come I guess  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #565 on: May 23, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
I think MT's given up on footy and gone to watch the polo.
Cos I got this strange SMS saying Polo training lol

More to come I guess  :thumbsup
You card  :lol  :wallywink

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #566 on: May 23, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »
Training today was at a Sunny but coolish Punt Rd. I got there a touch late and there was no rehab group so they may have gone inside. Didn't see Simmo, Browny, Richo, Knobel, Paddy, Razor and Cogs. I didn't notice Cass out there either.

Polo (that's Deano lol) and Hyde trained strongly. As did Collins, Peterson and Kingsley.

The drills today involved plenty of run and carry and playing on quickly at all times. Defensively it was one-on-one. They had a end to end rebound and hit-up drill with black guernseys vs orange tops. Cleve was against McGuane at one end and Jack vs Thursty at the other. Lids was used more as a defensive rebounder today along with Joel. Edwards was running around up against Sugar. The rest rotated through the midfield and between HB and HF lines.

On specific things - there was work on crumbing from a forward contest and quick snaps at goal.

As far as the ruck went, Monkhurst was doing some separate work with Tucky as well as Patto and Polak. Don't be surprised if Tucky does the rucking at boundary throw-ins.

Kingsley practised his set shots away from the main group with a trainer up the Brunton Avenue end.

Training finished up with longer distance foot passing to leading targets and goalkicking.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #567 on: May 23, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »
Were there any indications who will come in more likely, Cleve or Kingsley this week?

How does Peterson look?  Does he finally look fit?  How's that jump quality he's so well known for going?

How was our kicking?

Any sign of JoN?

Who won more often out of the two duels? (Cleve vs Mcguane and Jack vs Thursty)

Who were the players working on crumbing?

Cheers MT.  :clapping

EAT EM ALIVE!

Life goes on

« Reply #568 on: May 23, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
Training today was at a Sunny but coolish Punt Rd. I got there a touch late and there was no rehab group so they may have gone inside. Didn't see Simmo, Browny, Richo, Knobel, Paddy, Razor and Cogs. I didn't notice Cass out there either.

Polo (that's Deano lol) and Hyde trained strongly. As did Collins, Peterson and Kingsley.

The drills today involved plenty of run and carry and playing on quickly at all times. Defensively it was one-on-one. They had a end to end rebound and hit-up drill with black guernseys vs orange tops. Cleve was against McGuane at one end and Jack vs Thursty at the other. Lids was used more as a defensive rebounder today along with Joel. Edwards was running around up against Sugar. The rest rotated through the midfield and between HB and HF lines.

On specific things - there was work on crumbing from a forward contest and quick snaps at goal.

As far as the ruck went, Monkhurst was doing some separate work with Tucky as well as Patto and Polak. Don't be surprised if Tucky does the rucking at boundary throw-ins.

Kingsley practised his set shots away from the main group with a trainer up the Brunton Avenue end.

Training finished up with longer distance foot passing to leading targets and goalkicking.

Yeah I have one.
meet anyone interesting down at punt road :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #569 on: May 23, 2007, 05:23:22 PM »
Were there any indications who will come in more likely, Cleve or Kingsley this week?
Hard to tell. Cleve was with Schulz up against Joel, McGuane, Lids and I think Polak as defenders. At the other end Jack was with Kingsley up against Thursty. We know Jack is definitely playing so does that mean Kingsley will play also or will Cleve and Schulz be our two main forwards as they were up against most of our first team defenders.

Personally tigersalive, I just have a feeling Kingsley will play purely based on having some experience and a bigger body in the forward line.

How does Peterson look?  Does he finally look fit?  How's that jump quality he's so well known for going?
Peterson did the whole session so he looked fit. Match fit is of course a whole different question. They had a bag for leaping up and knocking the ball down to the ground and crumbers and the one time I saw Peterson do it he did it easily. The boy doesn't need to use his knees.

How was our kicking?
Mostly clean today but that needs to be taken in the context that there was no physical pressure. 

Any sign of JoN?
JON did the whole session. His kicking still needs work.

Who won more often out of the two duels? (Cleve vs Mcguane and Jack vs Thursty)
They didn't work on inside 50 passing today. It was mainly one "side" rebounds from deep in defence and run and carry to the HF line and then bombs a up and under to a contest and the other "side" gets the ball and repeats the process the other way. The FFs didn't have a chance to mark the ball. More a case of bringing the ball down ground front and square.

Who were the players working on crumbing?
Krak, Tivs, Edwards, White, Tambo, Jack were a few from memory.