Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 905985 times)

richmondrules

Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #945 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
Geez Collard is a stocker little bugger.  :rollin

Yeah, he's kind of funny looking. His hair doesn't help either. Hope he can play football, that's all I care about.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #946 on: January 17, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
Thanks MT for the report.  What's the prognosis on Connors' ankle?  Will it affect his availability for NAB cup?
Not 100% sure. He's reinjured the same ankle but he was still able to walk around on it barefoot (he straight away took the shoe off). Hopefully it's not too bad.

So he hurt it at that training session?
I didn't see him do it but he apparently re-injured it yesterday.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #947 on: January 17, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
good to see polak in the forward group. I hope they use him deep near the goals, FF.
As mentioned in the Polak thread, he apparently will be playing FF this year.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #948 on: January 17, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
good to see polak in the forward group. I hope they use him deep near the goals, FF.

That is good news. MT how does Rance look compared to Polak body shape wise. Just interested how far away you see Rance from playing consistently in the top side. Other reports have him not far off

blx

« Reply #949 on: January 17, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »

That is good news. MT how does Rance look compared to Polak body shape wise. Just interested how far away you see Rance from playing consistently in the top side. Other reports have him not far off

i have no doubt rance is ready to go the only thing is i think as the season goes on fatigue will be the biggest factor. Needs to be monitored.

Cotchin should also be eased into the season especially with his ankle. Give him a taste this year to make sure he's honky dory for next years preseason then release the Cotch on the world fully fit and ready to go.

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #950 on: January 17, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »

Cotchin should also be eased into the season especially with his ankle. Give him a taste this year to make sure he's honky dory for next years preseason then release the Cotch on the world fully fit and ready to go.

I agree with ya about easing in Cotch, but he'll need at least 1, if not 2 full uninterupted pre-seasons before he leaves the nest.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #951 on: January 17, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
Gee I reckon D-ick Smith will be hoping the new Reebok stuff turns up soon - we are still wearing last years training tops with the Motorola logo on them
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #952 on: January 17, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »

i have no doubt rance is ready to go the only thing is i think as the season goes on fatigue will be the biggest factor. Needs to be monitored.
Agree with blx. No reason Rance can't play a number of AFL games this year as body-wise he's fairly developed already for a 18 year old.  Even Terry said last night that Rance will play in the NAB Cup at some stage. Polak's taller than Rance. Alex is 192cm tall.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #953 on: January 18, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »
Just got back from training today at a very warm Vic Park. I got there at 10.40am so they would've have started a lot earlier. Finished up at midday. Today was the first mini scratch match of the year. Basically a 25-30 min quarter. Lots of goals for a change.

On the injury front, in rehab were Connors, Howat, Gus, McGuane and Meyer. They basically did handball and in close reflex stuff near the boundary. Cotchin, Simmo and Cogs trained with the main squad before stepping out of the practice match. It seems Cotch is allowed to run and do handball drills at this stage but no kicking based on today. Gus, McGaune and Meyer were able to run to and from the boundary to the huddles when Terry wanted a chat so hopefully it's just niggles and we're being precautious. McGuane as I mentioned on Wednesday is starting to get better from OP he had last year. Howat was off the crutches but still limping. Sugar and Collins needed attention for blisters.

When I arrived they were in the middle of a handball drill they also did last year. In groups of 6 they would handball between each other until they reached Rawlings or McRae who would knock the ball down and then it would become a 3 on 3 task where one side would need to maintain possession  until the got back to the main group.

The next drill was a full ground kick and run and carry. 4 groups in each pocket and you needed to pass the ball to the someone in the centre, who'd dish it off back to you and you pass it again to the opposite pocket. All cleanly done.

Terry commented that the enthusiasm and workrate was very good. They were a touch rusty in the hands but overall he was pleased with things so far this preseason. Happy to have basically everyone on the training track.

After a drink which was treated like a quarter time break it was time for the scratch match. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #954 on: January 18, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
continued.....

The squad was split up into Yellows and Whites. David King had Cotch set up with a camera in the Sherrin stand behind the goals to take footage of this end's match-ups. I might not have everyone in theri right position as there were many rotations and it was hard to see what was happening at the Yarra Falls end. Today was a good guide as to wear certain players will be playing this year.

Match-ups

Yellow backs:      Tuck    King       plus    Raines, Gourdis, Thursty, Morton 
White forwards:  Richo   Collard     plus    Jordy, Patto, Browny, Collins

Yellow mids:  Cartledge   Hyde   Tambo    Foley/Polo   Newy   White       
White  mids:  Putt         Tivs     Edwards  JON/Sugar  Jacko   Casserly

Yellow forwards:  Petts      Riewoldt   Hughes  Polak  (more CHF)  Polo   Lids (in goalsquare)
White backs:      Bowden    Moore     Rance    Schulz                JON    Silvester

Score

Yellows:  7.5-47
Whites:  4.4-28

Goalkickers

Yellows:
goals - Hughes 2, Foley, Newy, Raines, White, Lids.
bhds - Lids 2, Tambo, Petts, Morton (all set shots)

Whites:
goals - Richo 2, Browny 2
bhds - 2 were rushed off the pack. I couldn't see who kicked the other two.

Special mentions

It was mostly a free flowing game. Lots of midfield rotations and only a couple of minding jobs (looked like Sugar and JON had them). Sugar took the kick-ins too for the whites. The yellows pretty much dominated fair chunks of the quarter and looked the more dangerous side. They were a lot cleaner going forward and their forwards teamed very well which set up numerous scoring chances. They could have kicked 10 goals if their set shot radar was better. The Whites comitted 2-3 clear turnovers going forward which caused Plough to yell out. I was surprised the difference was only 3 goals at the end although possession wise there wasn't too much difference.

Hughes: Most impressed by Cleve today. Really presented himself well on the lead and was rewarded with two goals. His attitude has been questioned in the past but you couldn't fault him today. His first goal started him off. After going for the ball in a pack with Jack he got the handball from Jack and nailed it on the run from an acute angle  :clapping. Cleve had the better of Rance (it's only his first hitout) although Rance rebounded well out of defence 3 times (fluffed one kick).

Lids: Played close to goal all game and could have had 3 goals if he had kicked straight. No fault of Silvester as he was effective and on Lids' shoulder most of the time but when someone can vertically jump high unaided and mark the ball in his fingertips as well as mark a footy one-handed under his armpit at full pace he's a bit hard to stop ;).

Jack: Didn't kick a goal but look dangerous every time the ball went near him.

Raines played well and kicked a nice running bouncing goal. Collected the ball in the midfield and then bounced his way to 50 and fired. He said afterwards he had just run back after intercepting a turnover so after 3 bounces he was "f*****" and he hoped it would just go through  :lol.

Newy played in the midfield from what I saw. He was told to man up once but apart from that was effective in combo with Foley and Tambo and Hyde on a wing. Another nice running goal from the other pocket. Tambo had the better of Edwards.

Jacko was probably the whites best midfielder. Singlehandedly set up one of Richo's goals. Richo pretty much stayed inside 50. Browny only once twice ventured further up the ground.

Out of the newbies - Jordy and Collard didn't do much although it was hard to see the other end from where we were. Jordy was played strangely forward for most of the game. He only came down to the defence end once to receive a kick-in and he looked so much better behind the ball. A 50m kick straight to teammate on the wing.

Morton did okay as did most of the yellow defenders. Not sure why Tucky was down there  ???.

Cartledge had the better of Putt IMO but once again that's not expected given the experience and age difference.  It was good to see the ruckmen working both ways up the ground and deep.         

Forgot to mention there was also a kid wearing 48 in white who might have been one of the AIS trainees but I'm not sure.

I didn't have my camera unfortunately so no pics today. Any questions just fire away.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #955 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
Great report MT  :clapping

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #956 on: January 18, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
Cheers wayne. It was good to finally see some footy played  :thumbsup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #957 on: January 18, 2008, 03:19:54 PM »
I forgot to mention Thursty copped it in the guts at one stage which he apprently brought up (at the Yarra Falls end) and was winded but he's okay too. 

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #958 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »
These reports are pure gold MT. Always appreciated. 8)

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #959 on: January 18, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »
Thanks MT :clapping

Tell us more about Jon and Jackson?

Do you know when they will be training again?

cracker