Author Topic: Trade targets 2017  (Read 193140 times)

Jackstar 1960

Re: Trade targets 2017
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »
Ah no
For those who listened 😉
This was first reported on SEN last Saturday on the Gladiators of Football
3AW and Kane Cornes are 5 days late
Stop pinching others mail I say

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2017, 10:54:27 PM »
Tippet belongs in the first three letters of his surname....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2017, 12:21:41 AM »

Yep. We should only take him if Sydney are paying 80% of his salary. And even then I am not convinced he is worth it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond have a dilemma after Josh Schache re-signed with Brisbane

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
June 9, 2017

A TRIO of Victorian clubs desperate to lure a key forward will have to shift targets after the surprise signing of Brisbane’s Josh Schache.

A series of heart-to-hearts with his family and manager in Seymour convinced Schache to sign a new two-year deal with the Lions.

It was a huge boost for the 18th-placed Lions, attempting to stop a player drain and aware Victorian clubs would throw huge money at the No.2 pick of the 2015 draft.

The Lions have finished better than 10th just once in the past 13 seasons — their sole top-eight appearance in 2009.

Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond are intent on shoring up their key forward stocks and have salary cap room to burn.

They will now shift their targets to the shrinking pool of uncontracted key-position players or pivot to lure a contracted player to their clubs.

Carlton’s Levi Casboult and Sydney free agent Sam Reid head that queue, with Adelaide’s Mitch McGovern also out of contract.

Hawthorn’s Jack Gunston has been raised by commentators as a player the Hawks must consider trading to freshen their list.

But at 25 and having only last year signed a new deal, the Hawks have no interest in doing so.

Schache returned to the Lions from a two-week break having discussed his position with mother Rachel and manager David Trotter.

Despite interest from rivals the timeline for his decision had always been at the midpoint of the season.

When he got back to Brisbane on Monday he had already made up his mind to stay, with negotiations quickly completed.

“Having been at the Lions for a couple of years and seeing where we are headed, I’m really excited about our future,” said Schache.

“I enjoy living in Brisbane and playing footy with a committed and hard working group.”

The club is also hopeful of securing free agent Tom Rockliff.

Trotter, always adamant no other club had offered Schache a contract, said the commitment was not a dramatic change of heart.

“The message the whole way along was to sit down at the midpoint of the season. Going home allowed him to have a few of those conversations and he was really happy to jump on board again.”

Carlton’s Casboult told the Herald Sun last month he would only consider contract talks at the end of the year.

He was a Carlton supporter growing up but with improved accuracy this year (17.4) is a much more attractive proposition.

Sydney says it has had contract discussions with free agent Reid, with the Victorian kicking 15 goals before Thursday night.

But he has never kicked more than 31 goals in a season and had only four goals in his last six weeks before the clash against the Bulldogs.

Richmond will be desperate to lure another key tall despite its exceptional performances in a forward line built around Jack Riewoldt.

Riewoldt turns 29 in October and having lost Ty Vickery to free agency, backup Ben Griffiths has serious concussion issues and no other key forward has emerged.

St Kilda forward Patrick McCartin has only just fought his way back into the Saints forward line amid speculation he might be a trade target.

But with Nick Riewoldt battling knee issues and McCartin playing seniors he would seem less likely to want a new home.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/collingwood-carlton-and-richmond-have-a-dilemma-after-josh-schache-resigned-with-brisbane/news-story/c98a5f142b0ade22d7eb562a5cd4e2a5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Should the Tigers recruit Tippett? ... (3aw & SEN)
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:50 AM »
Should the Tigers recruit Tippett?

3aw
9 June 2017

Following today’s news that Josh Schache has committed to Brisbane until 2019, it leaves the Tigers empty handed.

It has been reported that Richmond were chasing the former number 2 draft pick, however after much speculation in recent weeks, Schache will stay a Lion.

Speaking on 3AW Football, Kane Cornes suggested Kurt Tippett as a possible target for Richmond.

“They desperately need a key forward,” he said.

The AFL industry is quick to forget just how good some players can be, according to Cornes.

“When he was fit and in form, he’s one of the premier ruckman in the competition who can go forward and take a mark.”

“You’re not going to pay overs for him, but I think it works.”

http://www.3aw.com.au/should-the-tigers-recruit-tippett/

From SEN & Inside Football's Brett Anderson's twitter:

"Long way until silly season, but when it comes to Kurt Tippett's future, if its not at Sydney, keep an eye on Richmond."

https://twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status/872773104514211840

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2017, 04:23:35 AM »

Exactly.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »

:clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
tippett is as bad as vickery in my opinion
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »

Far better than Ty at his best.

Better ruck by a hectare and a better forward

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:05 AM »
Going to be a few unhappy posters on here

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »

Far better than Ty at his best.

Better ruck by a hectare and a better forward

not from what ive seen. Marginally better statistically in both those areas so on that you are right.

each to their own i guess but IMV they are both junk

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
Similar players but Tippett has a small excuse. He has had a few injuries of late that have stopped him.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
Similar players but Tippett has a small excuse. He has had a few injuries of late that have stopped him.

Like Hampson?

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
Ask Nank what he thinks re TIP-PIT

dwaino

« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
If we're to capitalise on our resurgent game plan while our best players are in their prime and push for a quick flag I think we are in dire need of a genuine forward/ruck option. While I wouldn't be that pleased with Tippett I would be too upset if we got him for very little and Sydney were covering a chunk of his contract as long as we used our better trade currency to actually bring in genuine quality to improve other areas. Then I would consider the net gain rather than the individual. I just don't think there are many other realistic, ready to players to suit this position. Reid as a FA sure but just as injury prone and unreliable as Griffiths. Redpath equally injury prone and just not very good. Others have to be traded for. Really just comparing turds but it's our own fault for failing dismally in developing players for this position.