Author Topic: AFLW thread  (Read 17443 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFLW thread
« on: February 04, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »
A full house last night at Princes Park for the first ever AFL Women's league match.

CARLTON                 3.0    4.1    6.1    7.4  (46)
COLLINGWOOD        1.2    1.4    1.5    1.5  (11)

GOALS
Carlton: Vescio 4, Arnell, Davey, Jakobsson
Collingwood: Garner

BEST
Carlton: Davey, Vescio, Exon, Jakobsson, Arnell, Keryk
Collingwood: D'Arcy, Chiocci, Barden, White

Official crowd: 24,568 at Ikon Park, Carlton

The AFL officially declared a lock out at 8pm, midway through the first quarter. League CEO Gillon McLachlan made an announcement to the crowd at quarter time to address the situation. McLachlan also ventured outside the ground to apologise to the 1000-2000 estimated people unable to get into the venue, based on the advice of Victoria Police. The AFL, of course, moved the historic first match of from Olympic Park Oval to Ikon Park due to concerns over the size of the Magpies' ground. McLachlan said; "It's an amazing turnout and clearly we're a little overwhelmed by the response."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-03/blue-ribbon-day-for-aflw-as-carlton-downs-collingwood-in-inaugural-match

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: AFLW thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:24:52 AM »
Seven goals to one - sounds like a real cracker.... :clapping

Anyway, why would we give a stuff? Richmond isn't even involved in this competition.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »
I watched bits and pieces of the game and won't watch again. Far worse than local park footy.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »
Set aside some time to watch it.

I wasnt entertained. Standard was alot poorer than i expected and my expectations were low. Others may disagree.

It has a place and should be kept but once the novelty wears off i suspect it will be near empty stands.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »
Currently at the Whitten Oval.

Wish our blokes attacked contests and tackled like they are out here this evening
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »

Wish our blokes attacked contests and tackled like they are out here this evening

LMFAO.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 12:24:58 AM »

LMFAO.

LMFAO
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:58:06 PM »
The standard was horrendous
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

In defence of WP that's probably the main positive evident thing about Aflw - the have a crack.

The standard of skill is pretty low atm but. Some can't even kick 25-30m let alone hit a target.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

In defence of WP that's probably the main positive evident thing about Aflw - the have a crack.

The standard of skill is pretty low atm but. Some can't even kick 25-30m let alone hit a target.

Agree, never said the skill level was outstanding. Actually not surprised by that part of it TBBH

But their attack on the contest is superior to what alot of their male counterparts dish up each week

Having watched a game live I have to say it's alot better to watch live. Atmosphere is fantastic was just a really fun night.

If people can, would suggest they go and have a look

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »
Not sure.

The men would get crucified by 'experts' if they dropped some of the marks some of the girls are dropping under little to no physical pressure
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »

Agree, never said the skill level was outstanding. Actually not surprised by that part of it TBBH

But their attack on the contest is superior to what alot of their male counterparts dish up each week

Having watched a game live I have to say it's alot better to watch live. Atmosphere is fantastic was just a really fun night.

I think the statement thats its a better live game is taking it a bit far due to poor skills. And no i havent been to a game but watched them on tv.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 08:17:09 PM »

I think the statement thats its a better live game is taking it a bit far due to poor skills. And no i havent been to a game but watched them on tv.

I mean watching it live as opposed to watching it on TV; it's a better spectacle.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »

I mean watching it live as opposed to watching it on TV; it's a better spectacle.

Ok yep.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 01:52:12 AM »
The noticeable tactical difference is the switch of play across HB. Unless you have a teammate free then it's a very risky in the women's version as their kicking lacks the power and speed through the air to make a clean transition (having said that plenty of our boys love the slow up and under kick across HB  :P ). I felt the use of hands and handball receives to runners splitting the lines worked better for a quick transition in the women's game. Carlton appeared to use tactic well whereas Collingwood just went the aimless bomb forward 1960s style which was easily picked off.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd