Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 164415 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The one-on-one Dustin Martin moment that helped to erase 16 years of pain (HS)
« Reply #990 on: September 10, 2017, 02:43:40 AM »
The one-on-one Dustin Martin moment that helped to erase 16 years of pain for the Tigers

GLENN McFARLANE,
Herald Sun
September 10, 2017

IT WAS the one-on-one Dustin Martin moment that helped end 16 years of finals heartache for the Tigers.

Richmond was leading by seven points with about 30 seconds left in the third quarter when a clearing kick brought about a desperate contest between Martin and Geelong’s Tom Stewart.

They both flew for the ball and for a fleeting moment it seemed as if Stewart had the drop on the footy before he overran it slightly. Then Martin pounced. The Brownlow Medal favourite gathered, pushed off Stewart’s chest in typical fashion and burst down the outer wing in a race against the clock.

Teammate Jack Riewoldt knew it was coming in his direction long before the Stewart fendoff.

“He (Martin) is a big-time player and big-time players step up at the important moments,” Riewoldt said. “Tom Stewart is a handy player in one-on-ones. He probably had a few moments with Dusty down in Geelong (in Round 21). But I knew (Martin) would win it.”

So, too, did Dion Prestia, who found himself loose in attack with no one around him, knowing the Martin steamtrain down the wing was bringing the ball closer by the ticking second.

“I just backed him to win the one-on-one,” Prestia said, sensing the opportunity that was coming. “I was about 30 metres out when Dusty got it and I just ran towards the goal square.”

Martin was motoring along the wing at 25.9km/h, according to Champion Data’s new Super Tracker measurement. It was his maximum speed for the quarter, which by then was more than 30 minutes long.

Martin’s kick into half-forward came with 20 seconds left, but his drop punt didn’t have its usual penetration. The ball bounced in front of Zach Tuohy and Riewoldt, and the Richmond forward read the bounce perfectly, took possession and turned towards goal without knowing what was in front of him, even though he knew Lachie Henderson was bearing down on him from behind.

“It came out to me ... I didn’t know Dion was there,” Riewoldt said. “I just turned and rolled and he was in the right spot. He (Prestia) must have worked hard to get there.”

As Riewoldt wheeled around to take his kick, the crowd realised there was a Richmond player all alone at the top of the goalsquare. Prestia knew once Riewoldt won his contest with Tuohy that the ball was coming to him, even though he wasn’t sure how much time was left on the clock.

“I just kind of backed them (Martin and Riewoldt) in to win the ball,” Prestia said. “Maybe I was cheating a bit, or maybe I was being smart, but we’ve been good at winning the one-on-ones this year. That’s where we have improved.”

By the time he marked Riewoldt’s kick at the top of the square, there were only 15 seconds left in the term. Mitch Duncan gave chase, but there was never going to be a Heath Shaw 2010 moment. Prestia dribbled the ball through from point blank range to put his team 13 points in front.

The roar reverberated around the ground like it used to when the “Tigers of Old” dominated the MCG more than a generation ago.

Richmond’s players headed back to the middle for the last 10 seconds of the term, then strode with purpose to the three-quarter-time huddle emboldened by what had just occurred, and sensing there was more to come.

It was a massive lift for a club haunted by failed finals appearances and a lack of September action this century.

Chief executive Brendon Gale, who played in Richmond’s last finals win in 2001, knew what a team-inspiring moment it had been and the raucous Richmond faithful vindicated that.

President Peggy O’Neal, who 12 months ago shoved aside a flawed reform group called “Focus on Football” with the same purpose and power as a Dustin Martin “Don’t Argue”, smiled at Martin’s moment and the team-first attitude that followed.

She explained: “A Geelong supporter in front of me turned around (after the recently re-signed $8 million-plus Tiger’s extraordinary passage) and said: ‘I think you’ve made a very good investment.’ And I said, ‘Tonight it is paying off’.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/the-oneonone-dustin-martin-moment-that-helped-to-erase-16-years-of-pain-for-the-tigers/news-story/a8365a6b8c0de917e8139ae8e0628e61

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #991 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:38 PM »
From The Age tonight...
As reported exclusively for OER, deal done on the Monday night (reported on the Tues morning - day later ;D) and a little more stumped up to satisfy Ralph and co.....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-balme--the-inside-story-of-how-richmond-resigned-dustin-martin-20170911-gyfcoh.html
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #992 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
ralphy must have been so peeed that balmey got involved and stopped him from getting another 100k.

I still recall that "we are happy he signed" comment or whatever it was.

flog

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Balme - the inside story of how Richmond re-signed Dustin Martin (Age)
« Reply #993 on: September 11, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Edit: HRT  :cheers.

Tiger Balme - the inside story of how Richmond re-signed Dustin Martin

12 September 2017
By Caroline Wilson
The Age

Richmond football boss Neil Balme flew to New Zealand to visit Dustin Martin's father Shane on the eve of the Tiger star's crucial family meeting which ultimately sealed his decision to remain at the club.

Determined to communicate 'father to father' Richmond's long-term commitment to the 26-year-old champion, Balme missed the Tigers' final home-and-away clash at the MCG against St Kilda in a bid to meet Shane Martin face to face for the first time.

The dramatic Dustin Martin contract saga officially ended on The Footy Show three nights later but by close of business Monday night Richmond's inner sanctum knew that the player in his own mind had committed to stay. Apart from wanting to see his father the purpose of the visit was to communicate to Shane Martin the desire to remain a Tiger despite the extra estimated $1.8 million on offer from the Kangaroos.

Balme's secret New Zealand mission - the club approved the trip the night before the St Kilda game without the knowledge of Martin's manager Ralph Carr - did not turn out according to plan. But the internal view at Tigerland is that the extra lengths the club was prepared to go to to was not lost on the high profile restricted free agent as he weighed up a significantly richer offer from North Melbourne.

Shane Martin would not meet Balme telling him he had a pre-arranged engagement to meet friends to watch the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight.

Balme had contacted him unannounced upon landing in New Zealand so instead the pair exchanged text messages in which Balme reportedly delivered the message he had hoped to spell out in person. Dustin Martin, who flew to New Zealand with Ralph Carr the following day, was understood to have been disappointed that Balme and his father never actually managed to meet.

The club had been keen on several occasions from the start of the season for Balme and/or his football lieutenant Daniel Richardson to make the trip but had been discouraged by Carr from doing so. In the end Balme decided he could not allow the pivotal family meeting to go ahead without attempting to tell Shane Martin how much Richmond cared for his son as a person as well as a champion footballer.

Very few at the club were told the true reason for Balme's absence at the MCG on August 27 where Martin was putting in yet another best afield performance to help secure his club a top four spot. Balme remained in New Zealand until early Monday, offering to attend the meeting involving the Martin father and son along with Carr. But he was discouraged from doing so.

Instead, after flying home to Melbourne, he spoke to Shane Martin over the telephone and was able to satisfy the Martin camp's request for a slight amendment to the Richmond offer which would favour the player. The club also readily agreed to the camp's request to sell the story to Channel Nine.

While it went against traditional team values the view was that Martin had pledged his loyalty to Richmond ahead of significantly more money elsewhere and therefore had every right to commercially handle the announcement. By Wednesday night's All-Australian team announcement the strong message buzzing around Melbourne's Palais Theatre was that Martin would be staying at Richmond.

North officials, confident over the previous weekend, believed he was lost to the club. But still those in on the deal remained silent determined to honour the agreement with the Martin camp and allow Carr to oversee the announcement the following night.

After fulfilling his The Footy Show commitments Martin joined his teammates at the home of his captain and close friend Trent Cotchin where the TV was on Channel Nine although he reportedly left the room while his interview was televised. In football terms Martin celebrated his decision with a memorable performance at the MCG in Richmond's emphatic qualifying final win over Geelong.

Days earlier Shane Martin learned that he would remain exiled from Australia after the Federal Government pushed through an amendment to the immigration act. The elder Martin, who has denied being involved in criminal activity, will therefore miss the forthcoming preliminary final and the Brownlow Medal count where his son is the favourite and is expected to bring teammate Sam Lloyd as his plus one.

But Balme, who on Monday refused to discuss with Fairfax Media his New Zealand mission, is understood to remain determined to meet the father of his champion player whether or not he remains in exile. With Shane Martin's blessing he has undertaken to make the trip after Richmond's September campaign is complete.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-balme--the-inside-story-of-how-richmond-resigned-dustin-martin-20170911-gyfcoh.html