Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 163864 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond makes opening offer to gun on-baller Dustin Martin

February 28, 2017 5:08pm
    Jake Niall
    @jakeniallfox
    Source: FOX SPORTS

RICHMOND has offered gun midfielder and free agent Dustin Martin a significant long-term contract, believed to be worth close to $800,000 a season.

The contract offer has the Tigers well-placed to retain the explosive Martin, who is understood to have been offered a deal of at least four years.

As a restricted free agent, Martin can field offers from other clubs this year, but the Tigers have acted swiftly to prevent any auction — and the distraction of a prolonged impasse — by making a strong offer for the highly talented Martin, who, at 25, is entering his prime years.

Outside of Fremantle champion and skipper Nat Fyfe, Martin is the highest profile free agent in the AFL in 2017.

Martin is the only elite player at Richmond who is coming out of contract this year. The Tigers have key forward Jack Riewoldt signed until the end of 2019 and their premier defender Alex Rance signed a four-year deal in 2015 that also has him secured until the end of 2019.

The Tigers have been impressed with the development of Martin, whom the club has carefully nurtured and protected, in the knowledge that he has had off-field concerns — to the point that he has been considered for a spot in the leadership group.

Lately, Martin has been dealing with the issue of his father Shane’s deportation to New Zealand, with Dustin making a plea to allow his father to return to Australia during a television interview on Channel 9 last week.

Martin finished third in the Brownlow Medal last season and has become a far more valued player than he was when he came out of contract in 2013 — he found it difficult to find another club willing to take him on at the asking price — before he re-signed with the Tigers.

Trent Cotchin is set to retain the captaincy at Tigerland, while Riewoldt is likely to be brought back into the club’s leadership group when the club completes the process of electing its on-field leaders.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-makes-opening-offer-to-gun-onballer-dustin-martin/news-story/df0b0285036113363a7197096749929f
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:54:15 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mark Stevens on Ch 7 reckons Dusty will wait until the end of the season before saying yes or no.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I reckon he has already bought his one way ticket to NZ

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Gone.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Na, he has joined the army.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Na, he has joined the army.
And a bikie gang. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Goneski.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think he stays :cheers

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not sure.

If it were me I'd just like to play for a team with direction, and I feel like we've been sitting in the same place for 3 seasons until this off season wee finally made changes but everyone below us has passed us now.

I just hope he stays
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
800 seems fair, what compensation do we get if he goes?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
800 seems fair, what compensation do we get if he goes?

None as he is joining the Maori army

FlashGordon

If he is going, he will head for Freo for 3.4 mill a year for 5 years.