Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 164465 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why the hell would he sign on until he knew it was worth sticking around?

Club going backwards on-field. Lids saw the light...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers continue to work away on Dustin Martin’s contract, with the free agent still emphatic he will wait until year’s end to consider their offer.

Whether they can break down that will with a contract big enough to tempt him remains to be seen.

But a strong start to the season would clearly help negotiations given Martin is seen to be desperate to win premierships in coming years.

The Tigers’ decision to trade Brett Deledio and the retirement of Chris Yarran will save the Tigers cash they can use with Martin’s deal.

Richmond is still paying a chunk of Deledio’s contract at GWS but have an extra first-round pick in this year’s draft through that trade.

Coach Damien Hardwick said last week the club was doing a “truckload” of work to keep Martin.

“Three years ago clubs would’ve probably seen it as a distraction but I think players are that professional now,” Hardwick said.

“Dustin is the ultimate professional, he’ll go about his business, he plays some really good footy, he trains hard.

“Whatever happens in the modern era we’re in, happens.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-ready-to-sign-a-new-deal-to-remain-at-richmond/news-story/62b5de087c225fe06ababc3c40270df1

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Just pee him off. Not worth the hassle off field and his manager is a stuffen oxygen thief.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
.....But a strong start to the season would clearly help negotiations given Martin is seen to be desperate to win premierships in coming years.

If he is so desperate to win premierships then the best club to go to is GWS

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
.....But a strong start to the season would clearly help negotiations given Martin is seen to be desperate to win premierships in coming years.

Honestly, what footballer would not be desperate for a premiership?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

Honestly, what footballer would not be desperate for a premiership?

Half the plodders in our team who just want their paycheck and a spot in some teams best 22. Ellis, Griffiths, Houli, Hampson et al

No hunger. No desire.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ty Vickery's advice for Dusty: Don't rush your decision (afl site)
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
Ty's advice for Dusty: Don't rush your decision

Matt Thompson 
afl.com.au
March 2, 2017

NEW HAWK Ty Vickery would love to play alongside former Richmond teammate Dustin Martin again, but says the free agent shouldn't rush a decision on his future.

In just a few short months Vickery has learnt what it's like to switch clubs, providing him with a unique perspective on Martin's big decision.

Martin is out of contract at season's end and he will qualify a restricted free agent.

Last October, Vickery used free agency to secure a move from Richmond to Hawthorn.

The 26-year-old has joined star recruits Jaeger O'Meara and Tom Mitchell in a refreshed Hawthorn line up.

And while the Hawks have runs on the board when it comes to luring top talent, securing Martin could be their greatest coup yet.

"I'd love to play with him again obviously," Vickery told AFL.com.au. 

By Vickery's own admission, his move was a mutual parting of ways, but the Tigers are desperate to keep Martin.

"He doesn't need to rush into a decision, he's got 8-10 months until his contract expires," Vickery said. 

"I'm sure he's got a lot of good people around him advising him and he'll make the right decision."

Vickery, whose own future was the subject of numerous headlines throughout 2016, says a player facing the prospect of a move has to block out the noise.

"There'll be a lot of media speculation the longer it goes, but the reality is that doesn't really mean anything," he said.

"He's just such a talented midfielder and forward and a really good kid.

"Wherever he goes, or (if he stays), he's going to do well.

"He's a really good teammate and Richmond are really lucky to have him, and they know that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-02/tys-advice-for-dusty-dont-rush-your-decision

FlashGordon

The standard report by an ex-tiger.  Should be filed in the Gus I am going to kill it now that I am traning hard with the Crows file

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Get stuffed Ty

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
There has never been a free agent as restricted as Ty ...   ::)
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
nah he was a 'limited' free agent.  Limited value.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick working hard to keep Dusty off free agency table (afl site)
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:11 PM »
Hardwick working hard to keep Dusty off free agency table

AFL.com.au
March 5, 2017

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick hopes creating an environment at Punt Road Oval where Dustin Martin can reach his full potential will be enough to convince the star midfielder to stay.

But the coach concedes he doesn't know how or when the club champion's latest round of contract negotiations will end as he enters 2017 as one of the game's hottest free agents.

"My job is to be there for Dustin and make sure he can be the best player he can be," Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"How it ends, I'm not too sure, but in saying that I'd like to think our footy club has been a great place for Dustin to be.

"The environment we're in lends itself to free agency and that's the way it is, but I think the relationship our football club has with Dustin is very strong."

Martin signed his last contract – a two-year extension – in February 2015, but his 2013 negotiations dragged into September, weeks before that deal expired.   

Richmond's negotiations with Martin's manager, Ralph Carr, are being led by list manager Dan Richardson and football chief Neil Balme.

Hardwick said he was not receiving rolling updates on the talks and did not need to set a deadline for his midfielder to declare his intentions.

"You always want to get a fair indication where things are at with all players," he said.

"(But) take Dustin out of the equation from a list management point of view, it's a bit fluid in a way.

"It'll happen when it happens. It's not something I continually worry about every night."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-05/damien-hardwick-on-dustin-martins-contract

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
Was very touchy when asked about it today by the media.

Choco getting involved as well.

Shouldn't have fired choco is my thoughts.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Was very touchy when asked about it today by the media.

Yep but until he signs he's going to be asked about every time he does a presser

Goes with the territory.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
Agree and so he should be asked

However, every time he behaves like today, the momentum will build with the questioning and innuendo