Author Topic: Tigers’ Flea Amigos - Rioli, Castagna & Butler - have special buzz (Herald-Sun)  (Read 33187 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Pressure acts by the 3 amigos vs Hawthorn on the weekend:

Rioli        29 .... plus 7 tackles
Butler      22
Castagna 12

Source: The Age website

I know hes not in the fwd line ut at 181cm and with 11 tackles, Graham is the Amigo of the midfield
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dan Butler (Richmond)
His speed has been instrumental in getting the Tigers into the top four and he is fourth at Richmond for forward 50 pressure acts per game.

Jason Castagna (Richmond)
The other half of the dynamic Butler-Castagna duo ranks fourth in the competition for pressure acts applied inside the forward 50.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-29/the-stats-files-what-makes-your-rising-star-stand-out

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Butler has been terrific the last month or so.
Ball use has been excellent, finding a target inside 50 and making the right decision.
You can tell he's been working on decision making after getting caught out a few times during the year. It also seems like he's breaking a few tackles that he wasn't earlier on. I think he's had the best year out of the amigoes. Another pre season, more fitness and strength and he will be very dangerous imo.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Butlers set shot for goal has been very reliable lately .
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pressure first, goals second for Tiger smalls (afl site)
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2017, 01:48:43 AM »
Pressure first, goals second for Tiger smalls

afl.com.au
10 September 2017

RICHMOND'S small forwards know a lack of goals won't cost them their spots in the team this September as long as they keep applying the fearsome defensive pressure that rattled Geelong on Friday night.

Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Daniel Rioli combined for just two of the Tigers' 13 goals in Friday night's win, but their defensive pressure was a standout feature in a win that has sent the Tigers through to a home preliminary final.

In a game that was played between the arcs for long periods, they still combined for 48 pressure acts, with Richmond laying 21 tackles inside 50 to Geelong's four.

Butler said the Tigers' coaches viewed goals and possessions from their small forwards as a bonus, giving the trio the freedom to focus on a defensive aspect of their games they know they can deliver every week.

"They (the coaches) just speak about playing the game and playing on our talent and to our strengths, but all they're worried about is how much pressure we put on," Butler told AFL.com.au.

"We have weeks where we have three or four touches but we apply good pressure, so that's why we stay in the team.

"We played our role pretty well (against the Cats). All we try and do is put pressure on and then if we get kicks, marks, handballs, goals that's just a bonus.

"Our main role is to put pressure on for the team and provide supports for the midfielders and backs."

Coach Damien Hardwick praised his group's defensive pressure on Friday night and the ability to create seven forward-half turnover goals against the Cats.

With a game-plan based on defence, Butler said the small forwards could take their pressure to higher levels if the Tigers' preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney or West Coast is more contested.

"The scrappier it is the better it is for us as small forwards, because we're always there to pounce and apply pressure and tackle," he said.

"I think we've played in all different conditions this year and played well.

"But that was the highest pressure game I've played in, especially with the crowd … it was definitely hard to block out but it was a pretty exciting night."

Butler said he could not have imagined having the impact he has this season when he made his debut in round one, after missing his first year (2015) because of a knee injury and spending last year in the VFL.

The 21-year-old has missed only two games because of a groin injury this season and kicked 27 goals, also averaging 4.7 score involvements a game. 

Richmond's small forwards against Geelong

Dan Butler

Pressure acts: 13
Tackles: five
Tackles inside 50: three
Score involvements: three
Disposals: nine
Scores: 1.1

Daniel Rioli

Pressure acts: 16
Tackles: four
Tackles inside 50: two
Score involvements: five
Disposals: eight
Scores: 0.0

Jason Castagna

Pressure acts: 19
Score involvements: two
Disposals: six
Scores: 1.0

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-10/pressure-first-goals-second-for-tiger-smalls

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pressure first, goals second for Tiger smalls (afl site)
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
Pressure first, goals second for Tiger smalls

afl.com.au
10 September 2017

RICHMOND'S small forwards know a lack of goals won't cost them their spots in the team this September as long as they keep applying the fearsome defensive pressure that rattled Geelong on Friday night.

Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Daniel Rioli combined for just two of the Tigers' 13 goals in Friday night's win, but their defensive pressure was a standout feature in a win that has sent the Tigers through to a home preliminary final.

In a game that was played between the arcs for long periods, they still combined for 48 pressure acts, with Richmond laying 21 tackles inside 50 to Geelong's four.

Butler said the Tigers' coaches viewed goals and possessions from their small forwards as a bonus, giving the trio the freedom to focus on a defensive aspect of their games they know they can deliver every week.

"They (the coaches) just speak about playing the game and playing on our talent and to our strengths, but all they're worried about is how much pressure we put on," Butler told AFL.com.au.

"We have weeks where we have three or four touches but we apply good pressure, so that's why we stay in the team.

"We played our role pretty well (against the Cats). All we try and do is put pressure on and then if we get kicks, marks, handballs, goals that's just a bonus.

"Our main role is to put pressure on for the team and provide supports for the midfielders and backs."

Coach Damien Hardwick praised his group's defensive pressure on Friday night and the ability to create seven forward-half turnover goals against the Cats.

With a game-plan based on defence, Butler said the small forwards could take their pressure to higher levels if the Tigers' preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney or West Coast is more contested.

"The scrappier it is the better it is for us as small forwards, because we're always there to pounce and apply pressure and tackle," he said.

"I think we've played in all different conditions this year and played well.

"But that was the highest pressure game I've played in, especially with the crowd … it was definitely hard to block out but it was a pretty exciting night."

Butler said he could not have imagined having the impact he has this season when he made his debut in round one, after missing his first year (2015) because of a knee injury and spending last year in the VFL.

The 21-year-old has missed only two games because of a groin injury this season and kicked 27 goals, also averaging 4.7 score involvements a game. 

Richmond's small forwards against Geelong

Dan Butler

Pressure acts: 13
Tackles: five
Tackles inside 50: three
Score involvements: three
Disposals: nine
Scores: 1.1

Daniel Rioli

Pressure acts: 16
Score involvements: five
Disposals: eight
Scores: 0.0

Jason Castagna

Pressure acts: 19
Score involvements: two
Disposals: six
Scores: 1.0

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-10/pressure-first-goals-second-for-tiger-smalls
All really simular numbers.... and it's been the same all year
That's why I don't get why people want George dropped and not Rioli or even Buttler??

Anyway there is no way in hell any of them get dropped regardless of how Bolton is going in the twos. He will get his chance at some stage but unless there is an injury it won't be this year.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Its simple; Castanga is the worst kick out the three and fumbles the most

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers’ Flea Amigos - Rioli, Castagna & Butler - have special buzz
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »

Yep that sums it up well

Throw in decision making and Rioli & Butler are ahead by a fair way
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Agree. Having said that he has the biggest body out of the three and is probably the fastest in a flat out foot race.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
If it ain't broke why fix .

Bolton could turn out to be the best , his time will come in 2018 and beyond.
Unleash the tornado

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

because we need to be proactive and not assume oh we won so no changes need to be made. If we say hypothetically were playing Adelaide or Sydney next week, you would think the club will try and bring in more contested ball winners. It is still crazy to me that the club only makes serious-ish changes when we lose by 10+ goals.

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
Would be a bit sad if George goes to Carlton but its nice to have Bolton & the other aboriginal wizard waiting in the wings  :shh

I doubt the club would allow Lennon, George, Lloyd to all leave?

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist

because we need to be proactive and not assume oh we won so no changes need to be made. If we say hypothetically were playing Adelaide or Sydney next week, you would think the club will try and bring in more contested ball winners. It is still crazy to me that the club only makes serious-ish changes when we lose by 10+ goals.

Well said  :bow

It isn't 1955 any more. The if it ain't broken don't fix it mentality is outdated. We should be playin the strongest team whatever that is

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »

Yep that sums it up well

I can't argue with what Chunky said but I don't think Butler is a better decision maker. He gets caught holding the ball the most in our side per touch  imo.

Also George does things the other two don't and it was evident the other night and that's he gives us a contest in the air. I counted at least 3 times the ball came in high and he made a contest and brought the footy to ground and even took one then went on to kick the goal.
I don't want Rioli dropped but the think his output is so far ahead of George is ridiculous and yet only a few can see it.

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »

Yep that sums it up well

I can't argue with what Chunky said but I don't think Butler is a better decision maker. He gets caught holding the ball the most in our side per touch  imo.

Also George does things the other two don't and it was evident the other night and that's he gives us a contest in the air. I counted at least 3 times the ball came in high and he made a contest and brought the footy to ground and even took one then went on to kick the goal.
I don't want Rioli dropped but the think his output is so far ahead of George is ridiculous and yet only a few can see it.

That is a key thing too - when we are such a small team

George is also harder and more loco than rioli/butler  :thumbsup