Author Topic: Prestia made the right call in choosing Richmond over Hawthorn (afl site)  (Read 2617 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Big call, and hey Prestia, it's the right one

Damian Barrett
AFL.com.au
19 April 2017

Dion Prestia made the right call in choosing Richmond over Hawthorn.

DION Prestia saw it coming when no-one else did.

In late July last year, he quietly chose Richmond over Hawthorn as his new football home.

It was a decision that he would not confirm publicly for another five weeks, but one that elicited surprise from many in the football industry.

In the very week he made his decision, round 18 2016, Richmond was belted by Hawthorn by 70 points at the MCG.

The Tigers were in the middle of a nine-game season-ending stretch that yielded just two wins; the Hawks to that stage of 2016 had lost just three matches, sat atop the AFL ladder and were perfectly positioned for a fourth consecutive premiership.

Hawthorn was taken aback. Rejection didn't happen to it. The acquisitions of Shaun Burgoyne, Brian Lake, Josh Gibson, James Frawley, Jack Gunston, even David Hale and Ben McEvoy, had led the club to believe it could not lose when pitching for talent.

However, the Hawks moved on quickly and normal programming was restored when Jaeger O'Meara and Tom Mitchell accepted overtures. The cost was higher than normal, though, and saw the Hawks' first pick in last year's draft coming at No.88, and also saw it relinquishing first- and second-round picks in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft.

Prestia, having spent countless hours analysing the demographics and skill sets of the two clubs' lists, was confident he had chosen wisely in his post-Gold Coast life.

What he liked most when contrasting the Tigers' list with the Hawks' was the opportunity to work with Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin in the midfield. Alex Rance in the backline and Jack Riewoldt in the forward line appealed, too, in a way that trumped the Hawthorn sell.

Richmond rewarded Prestia very nicely for his decision with a five-year contract worth more than $3.5 million. For pick six in last year's national draft and a future second-round pick, the Tigers got Prestia and the 2016 No.24 pick.

North Melbourne and St Kilda also had meaningful discussions about Prestia, but the player himself, from early in 2016, had determined it was Hawthorn versus Richmond.

Many questions were raised when Richmond secured him, and given the new Prestia contract is just four games old, the jury remains out on all aspects.

This column queried the hefty wage being given to Prestia.

Matthew Lloyd said on AFL.com.au's Access All Areas program when assessing Richmond's 2016 season: "(Tigers) ... don't bring in any more recycled players and I'll go a step further – don't bring in Dion Prestia.

"Instead of paying someone $600,000 and giving away pick six in the draft, actually take a kid that you pay minimum wage who you hope will be better than Dion Prestia."

Kane Cornes on Fox Footy: "To target Prestia now, it is not the right call, they're not in the premiership window."

Scott Lucas on SEN: "The issue is from a list management and crystal balling [perspective]. If next year is going to be a rebuild, what does Prestia do? Does he help you win two extra games? Do you want that?

"Or would you rather keep your picks and have another couple of kids (in this year's draft) that are in their prime in three or four years?

"They really should be looking over the next two or three years to acquire as many top-20 picks as they can, however that has to happen."

There is a long way to go in season 2017 and in football terms, an eternity is still to run on Prestia's Richmond contract and Hawthorn's deal with Alastair Clarkson.

But the Tigers are 4-0, the Hawks 0-4. Prestia saw it coming.

Prestia, who will play his 100th AFL match against Melbourne on Monday night, has already emerged as crucial to the Tigers' set up with his hardness at every contest. There are smoother movers in the competition, and he can butcher the odd disposal, but he's averaging 23 of them a game (10 of those contested), along with an average five tackles and average 315m gained.

Prestia is a smart, level-headed 24-year-old who is wired to never get ahead of himself, but in the past month, and particularly the past fortnight, he would have been excused had he nodded knowingly to himself in a mirror, content that the opening rounds of 2017 was evidence he made the right call.

So too, Damien Hardwick.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-19/big-call-and-hey-prestia-its-the-right-one

tony_montana

seems the harshest judges of all are tiger supporters - most ive seen on various websites are underwhelmed with prestia to say the least - for mine, hes nowhere near his best but has been very important to us thus far imo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:59:07 PM by tony_montana »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
seems the harshest judges of all are tiger supporters - most ive seen on various websites are underwhelmed with prestia to say the least - for mine. Hes nowhere near his best but has been very important to us thus far imo

He's clean, smart and has quick hands in the coal-face.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not sure I'd say he's clean which is probably his biggest knock.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
He is very clean with his hands. His kicking was good in Round 1 but not so good since.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

stop trolling

jackstar mkII

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
He is very clean with his hands. His kicking was good in Round 1 but not so good since.

I agree re: hands being clean but overall as a player I don't think he's that clean because of his kicking skills. Round 1 was good but he gets a fair few clangers. He deserves to be cut some slack because of his role as an inside player but it would be nice to be cleaned up a bit...

As for being a troll (TM ::)), I'm not sure how having a different opinion on a player (which happens to be similar to what some posters and media personnel have said previously) constitutes as being a troll...

tony_montana

YBB's comment was he was very clean  with his handsand you replied that it's probably his biggest knock not being clean.

You then clarified it with your next comment about it relating to his kicking which is fair enough.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:50:35 PM by tony_montana »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
What is this 'clean handsand' everyone keeps talkin about? Some sort of exfoliating liquid?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
What is this 'clean handsand' everyone keeps talkin about? Some sort of exfoliating liquid?

You should try it. Softens them to and helps you with manscaping that eagles nest of yours. :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
YBB's comment was he was very clean  with his handsand you replied that it's probably his biggest knock not being clean.

You then clarified it with your next comment about it relating to his kicking which is fair enough.

Um, no. The original comment was from Wayne who said "he's clean, smart and has quick hands" which to me reads as he's a clean player overall as he singled out his quick hands as a later point. Whether that is what he meant is up for him to decide. YBB's comment was AFTER I said Prestia isn't a clean player. I suggest you re-read the order of events and understand what is being talked about before you start calling people a troll :wallywink

tony_montana

thats open to interpretation - For mine, when talking about clean it relates to being a clean one grab player with hands, not kicking. At least thats how my coaches in the day used to talk about it. Lets be honest, you are a bit of a baiter/troll  :wallywink

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
thats open to interpretation - For mine, when talking about clean it relates to being a clean one grab player with hands, not kicking. At least thats how my coaches in the day used to talk about it. Lets be honest, you are a bit of a baiter/troll  :wallywink

What he meant is up to interpretation unless he clarifies but to say I responded to YBB (when he in fact responded to me) is just twisting the story? Perhaps you were trying to troll me? :shh

tony_montana

What he meant is up to interpretation unless he clarifies but to say I responded to YBB (when he in fact responded to me) is just twisting the story? Perhaps you were trying to troll me? :shh

umm no.. Its open to interpretation to anybody who reads it - for me I took it clearly that he meant clean hands for the reason I mentioned in the previous post. Whether he meant something else  - i have no issue with that - im talking about my interpretation. I wouldnt waste my time tbh

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
err EXCUSE me, I too would like to wade into this pile of horse shizer, just lemme think about what I am gonna say >:(
Lots of people name their swords......