Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 191899 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #480 on: January 31, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »
Terrible third quarter all over the ground. We had some chances and blew them.
Bernadi in the goal square should’ve nailed a goal but it was comedy capers and good defence by Brisbane.

Our mids went missing that quarter as Brisbane’s run and carry was well executed and they also made the most of their forward line entries. Our defence was under the pump most of that quarter inside 50s 10 to 5 that quarter in favour of Brisbane.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #481 on: January 31, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »
3/4 time

Richmond 1.6-12
Brisbane 4.8-32

Goal: Wakefield

Brisbane have been the better side but once again our shooting is the worst in the AFLW. You're not going to win games kicking 1.6. Most of them have been set shots.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #482 on: January 31, 2021, 03:42:15 PM »
That sums up the game. Brisbane better organised, pacer and nail their set shots.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #483 on: January 31, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
Final score

Richmond 0.2 1.4 1.6 1.6-12
Brisbane 2.3 2.4 4.8 5.11-41

Goal: Wakefield

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #484 on: January 31, 2021, 03:56:50 PM »
The wheels fell off.

We clearly aren’t fit enough not being able to run out the game with the advantage of the wind in the last.

Our midfield is still clearly deficient and well behind the league standard.

Fredricks is a waste of talent. She clearly has lost all of her abilities if she ever had any in the first place. I don’t think she is the way to go. Chuot doesn’t use her agility and speed and seems lost too

Brennan looked great early but faded as the game progressed as did Wakefield

Cordner and Mackenzie look really good prospects. Seymour in the ruck was ok as she had no help at all. Dempsey was pretty good as well she had a good game. Hosking is a goer but needs to do more.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #485 on: January 31, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »
Positives: We were more competitive for longer than last year. Second qtr was the best we've played in general play at AFLW level. Our key defenders were very good. Liked the look of first gamer McKenzie whose skill level is already AFLW standard unlike many of her senior teammates. Reminds me of Cotch in his first year.

Negatives: Carrying still far too many players who lack basic skills and footy smarts. Just kills us. We lack organisation across the ground (eg: isolated flat-footed Tigers at contests, no basic front and square positioning, not protecting the defensive side at stoppages, disconnect b/w backs, mids & forwards). We also lack pace across the ground. Brisbane killed us on both the inside and on the outside. And I've already mentioned our pathetic goalkicking. Can't win if we can't kick goals. Sadly it's hard to see us winning a game this season either :(.   

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #486 on: January 31, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
Too slow and too unfit - the end.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #487 on: January 31, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »

I appreciate the explanation but it still seems rather unconvincing. I suppose it’s not really a big deal because it’s only vflw but it doesn’t explain how ALL other clubs can find a way to do both but we choose not too because it’s too expensive despite being one of the wealthier clubs in the AFL.
Is soft cap spend in the AFL seperate to the AFLW program or is it combined?   
How the heck is North able to do both? 
Maybe with the money we’ve allegedly saved we can poach the north aflw recruiting guru.  :rollin

I agree. Just posted how it has been unexplained by the Club. Doesn't make too much sense to me. It actually suggests that our program is not structured properly and makes you question exactly how they are allocating the spend

The the soft caps are supposedly separate.

And just on today's game

Very poor second half.

Have heard a few people say the 2nd qtr was the best quarter played in our short time in the AFLW

Yes it was good but the best?

No go back to our game against Geelomg last seaon at Bendigo and the 2nd half of that game. That's the best we've palyed and that must be the minimim benchmark.

2md qtr was close to the benchmark

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #488 on: January 31, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »
LOL.

Rubbish management of the womens list, disgraceful recruiting. They dont know what theyre doing. Im sorry but this is an embarrassment to our club. Seems to me running the womens team was "jobs for the girls" and they botched it because they dont know how to do it. The two women who put this list together should do the right thing and hand in the resignations.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #489 on: January 31, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »
Improved Tigers fall to Lions at Punt Road
By Sarah Black,
AFL Media - 6 hrs ago

An improved Richmond outfit has fallen short of Brisbane, as the mature Lions pulled away in the second half to record a 29-point win over the Tigers.

The Tigers showed some promising signs of improvement off the back of their winless first season in 2020, but the Lions' fluid ball movement and domination of the middle led to the 1.6 (12) to 5.11 (41) victory.

It was a gusty day at the Swinburne Centre, the first AFLW game at the venue, with the first goal not coming to the Brunton Avenue end until the fourth term via Dakota Davidon.

Brisbane made all the early running, controlling play across the middle of the ground and structuring well in defence, forcing Richmond into skill errors.

Captain Katie Brennan thought she'd kicked the Tigers' first goal in the dying seconds of the first quarter, but it was called touched off the boot from her set shot.

In the end, it was dynamic key forward Courtney Wakefield who atoned for last year's missed opportunity at Richmond's first ever goal, showing a clean pair of heels at 33 and good game sense to keep the ball in play and slamming the ball home from the square.

Cathy Svarc held Tiger best and fairest Monique Conti possession-less in the first quarter, and to just three at half-time, while topping the Lions' count at the main break with nine of her own.

The Tigers looked at their most dangerous when moving the ball quickly, but didn't catch the organised Lions defence – led by Kate Lutkins and Nat Grider – on the hop nearly enough.

It was a well-rounded performance from the Lions, who would have been thrilled with the performance of young cubs Belle Dawes (a career-high 21 touches, up from 12), ruck Tahlia Hickie, debutant Courtney Hodder and the ever-improving Grider.

Full-back Harriet Cordner (12 disposals, seven marks) starred on debut for the Tigers after crossing from Melbourne, while No.1 pick Ellie McKenzie (12 touches) showed plenty on the wing for the Tiger Army to get excited about.

All the attention has been on Sarah Hosking and Sarah D'Arcy moving to Richmond over the trade period, and while the two performed well, it's Harriet Cordner who could prove to be the most important acquisition. The former Dee slotted in seamlessly into defence, taking composed intercept marks and settled the backline, which was often skittish last year. Her presence has also allowed the athletic Gabby Seymour to play as primary ruck, with usual first ruck Alice Edmonds named an emergency for this game.

Coach's reaction
"I think we gave ourselves a chance to stay in the game for all of three quarters, a few moments here and there, up until three-quarter time, we were a few goals down kicking with a few-goal wind. I thought we gave ourselves a chance, but in the last quarter, maybe in their endeavour to take the game on, really try and run them down, we just rushed. A lot of learnings from the last quarter." – Richmond coach Ryan Ferguson

Up next
Richmond will once again face some windy conditions, facing Melbourne at Casey Fields late on Saturday afternoon.

RICHMOND    0.2     1.4     1.6     1.6     (12)
BRISBANE     2.3     2.4     4.8     5.11     (41)         

GOALS
Richmond: Wakefield
Brisbane: Bodey 2, Hodder, Hickie, Davidson

BEST
Richmond: Cordner, Dempsey, McKenzie, Seymour, Conti
Brisbane: Dawes, Svarc, Bates, Grider, Conway

INJURIES

Richmond: Nil
Brisbane: Nil

Reports: Nil

Crowd: 988 at the Swinburne Centre

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/855990/improved-tigers-fall-to-lions-at-punt-road

today's team was:

Richmond’s 2021 AFLW Round 1 team:

B Bec Miller (15), Harriet Cordner (23)
HB Akec Makur Chuot (34), Pheobe Monahan (2), Iilish Ross (21)
C Kate Dempsey (19), Sarah Hosking (7), Hannah Burchell (9)
HF Courteney Wakefield (8), Sarah D’Arcy (12), Sarah Dargan (17)
F Tayla Stahl (24), Sabrina Frederick (14)
Foll Gabby Seymour (28), Katie Brennan (3), Monique Conti (4)
I/C Luka Lesosky-Hay (26), Ellie McKenzie (22), Kodi Jacques (10), Sophie Molan (1), Christina Bernardi (6)
Emg Sarah Sansonetti (18), Alice Edmonds (11)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #490 on: February 01, 2021, 06:26:45 AM »
Kate Dempsey

Dempsey hasn't had much of a run at AFLW level, sitting out most of Richmond's first season with a back injury and just playing the one game. Camped primarily on the wing against the Lions, Dempsey ran hard both ways to record 14 disposals, three marks and two rebound 50s and inside 50s apiece. She held her width well and was often instrumental in the Tigers' rebound play. - Sarah Black

https://womens.afl/news/57422/eyecatchers-who-was-your-club-s-unheralded-star-in-r1-

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #491 on: February 01, 2021, 06:38:42 AM »
New season, same result as Tigers lose

By Daniel Cherny and Damien Ractliffe
The Age
February 1, 2021

Home is where the heart is but still not where the points are for Richmond, who remain on the hunt for their first AFLW win.

The Tigers finally got the chance to play a home game at Punt Road but a sellout crowd at their base of 135 years was not enough to spur Richmond to a breakthrough win after six defeats in their inaugural season in the national women’s league.

In glorious sunshine at Punt Road on Sunday, the Tigers were issued a reminder that they remain a long way off the pace, or even off the league’s middle rung, losing to the Brisbane Lions by 29 points – 5.11 (41) to 1.6 (12) – in front of a crowd of 988.

Despite yet another defeat, Richmond coach Ryan Ferguson said his players believed they could win. “I think it was a sign that we do think we’re onto something. The girls have real trust in our game and in each other and for long periods of time we were right in the contest,” Ferguson said.

Compared to some of the frightful hidings they copped in 2020 – a season that ended in the sacking of coach Tom Hunter – this was not a horrendous performance from Richmond, who competed well for extended periods and trimmed the margin to a goal at half-time.

But a lack of polish inside 50 from the Tigers, combined with the Lions’ defensive grit, wore Richmond down, with Brisbane kicking clear with a two-goal-to-nil third quarter, extending the margin to 20 points by the final change.

Playing predominantly forward, Richmond skipper Katie Brennan threatened to have a huge say in proceedings. Her aerial prowess was evident but Brennan was let down by poor finishing and was denied a first-quarter major with one effort touched off the boot.

After several frustrating moments for Brennan, the Tigers finally kicked their first of the game – to the Punt Road end no less – when Courtney Wakefield banged one home during the second term.

Mon-day’s expert
Lion Cathy Svarc locked down on Tigers star Monique Conti, limiting the former Bulldog to just 12 disposals. Ferguson said coping with a tag was the next step in the young gun’s progression.

“I’ve had a chat to Mon about she can work through those things individually but also our development as a team,” Ferguson said.

“We’re probably not even quite there yet where we can start to pay attention to the detail really. We’ll get there. We can certainly help her out a bit more.“

Looking out for No.1
As well as being able to showcase their home ground, the Tigers also had the opportunity to present No.1 pick Ellie McKenzie to the world. The former Fitzroy junior didn’t dominate but neither did she look overawed.

Of Richmond’s half a dozen new faces though, it was former Melbourne defender Harriet Cordner who arguably made the biggest difference. Cordner’s big frame and sure hands in defence helped settle a Tigers defence that looked all at sea at times last season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/king-garner-lead-way-as-roos-stamp-their-aflw-flag-credentials-20210131-p56y79.html

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: February 01, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »
Just seen the highlights, even they were ordinary, glad I didnt have to watch the whole game, would have made my eyes bleed.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #493 on: February 01, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »
Coaches votes:

Richmond vs Brisbane

10 Isabel Dawes (BL)
5 Natalie Grider (BL)
4 Emily Bates (BL)
4 Catherine Svarc (BL)
3 Harriet Cordner (RICH)
2 Sophie Conway (BL)
1 Ruby Svarc (BL)
1 Tahlia Hickie (BL)

https://womens.afl/news/58295/

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2021, 11:15:25 PM »
Just seen the highlights, even they were ordinary, glad I didnt have to watch the whole game, would have made my eyes bleed.
:lol I really don’t mind watching it 
You’ve got to lower your expectations and look at it as if it was your own daughters or nieces are playing. The good players really stand out. It will improve as more girls rise up the ranks from junior footy and have a few good years of development behind them.

It would help more if our own club recruited better  :rollin