Author Topic: Intra-club practice match this Friday  (Read 11842 times)

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Intra-club practice match this Friday
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
I can't see the point in having a probs v poss.  Wouldn't it be a more competitive and willing match if both teams were balanced experience-wise?  Especially, if spots are up for grabs next week, just as easy to see the standouts in both sides.  The older ones can help the younger ones etc.  This is the only time of the year when they can play the kids with the seniors to see how they go, so i'm a bit disappointed they chose this format.

Good for the best 22 to play together.

Good for the kids to play people better than themselfs - thats how you get better.

They played 'mixed' teams up in Bendigo didn't they?

I remember seeing a post asking about Raines' kicking and whether they were reaonably low and flat or were they looped up in the air, but I can't find it now. Anyway Raines' kicking appears to have improved in that regard of trying to kick the ball low and flat.  

I was impressed by Raines. Good run out of the backline, solid skills. Low and flat.

Agree Moi. I would have more even teams too. While a young kid in the strong side may benefit by getting plenty of footy against weak opposition and build-up confidence, I don't see how say a Meyer can really show what he's capable of  while playing in a weak team that is getting smashed all over the park .

young talented kids (meyer hughes etc) should not be put in teams like the possibles. its not good for them or there confidence. i dont agree with these types of matches. it was a mistake and it shouldnt be repeated

Disagree. How soft mentally are they? The likes of Meyer and Hughes are clearly not in our best side at this stage and know that themself. If it hurts them then, if they are that precious then we are in trouble. Im sure they don't think like that and strive harder to prove their worth.

If Meyer was good enough he'd get the footy regardless of which side he is playing in. IMO he hasn't looked good since we drafted him. Stop making excauses for him. I thought White and Limbach were very good, ablet playing in a poor team. No reason Meyer cannot show what he is made of in a weak side. Im abit worryed. Fingers crossed he has a big season.

Listening to 3AW at the moment and they're talking about the St Kilda practice match, and the umpiring in marking contests.  That if you take a mark and you're tackled for a second, they were paying 50 metre penalties.  Really ridiculous penalties.  Was it like that yesterday anyone know?

IMO the umps were much too strict for a praccie game and so have let it go on, flowed more. Too many (soft) 50's also.

Then again you assume the the umps were told to treat it as a real game.

Moi

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
Brian Royal coming up on 3AW to talk about yesterday's match.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2006, 01:09:15 PM »
Brian Royal coming up on 3AW to talk about yesterday's match.

& about getting kicked out of the Hawks game  ;)

Moi

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »
Grybas said there were a few fights yesterday.  Royal had an altercation with a Haws coach, which Royal just laughed off.  Went to watch the Hawks train at Sandringham.  Sitting there and having a look and Mark Evans told him to rack off, closed session.  He stayed there for a while and then told to leave or else lol.

Just looking at Hawks to see the players they’ve got available, which allows them to pick side against their most likely line-up (someone else may have some other thoughts on this lol).

Game next week – Hawks in a similar situation to Tiges – both need to win games.  Both teams will be picking their best side available.  Expects a pretty even contest.

Poss v probables – wanted to play best side to allow senior side to play together one week out from their first game.  Pressure not great and allowed them to set up their structures around stoppages and set plays etc.  Gives young ones a chance to play up against seniors like Richo and Johnstons etc.

Lids and Tambo – pressure on them from fans.  Their mature kids and will handle it.

P Bowden will probably play next week.  Probably play a few different roles, didn’t say what but.

Rodan and Schultz, Patto – Rodan bounced back from where he left off last year and no effect on the knee.  Schultz in Ballarat got a towelling of Richo, but bounced back yesterday.

Moi

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2006, 01:41:21 PM »
Anyone there yesterday again, who were the two young kids to have a fight?
Talking about it on the radio, but didn't mention who.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »
Your boy and Nick Carnell.  ;D
Raines got him high in a shepherd and he he wasn't too happy.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »
Thanks for that Moi :).

Just on the injury front,  Pettifer looked to have a problem with his hand late in the game  :-\.

Listening to 3AW at the moment and they're talking about the St Kilda practice match, and the umpiring in marking contests.  That if you take a mark and you're tackled for a second, they were paying 50 metre penalties.  Really ridiculous penalties.  Was it like that yesterday anyone know?

As well as the one FF mentioned, Angus Graham gave one away in the first quarter on a HBF.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
Good for the kids to play people better than themselfs - thats how you get better.

They played 'mixed' teams up in Bendigo didn't they?

Disagree. How soft mentally are they? The likes of Meyer and Hughes are clearly not in our best side at this stage and know that themself. If it hurts them then, if they are that precious then we are in trouble. Im sure they don't think like that and strive harder to prove their worth.

If Meyer was good enough he'd get the footy regardless of which side he is playing in. IMO he hasn't looked good since we drafted him. Stop making excauses for him. I thought White and Limbach were very good, ablet playing in a poor team. No reason Meyer cannot show what he is made of in a weak side. Im abit worryed. Fingers crossed he has a big season.

I have no problem with our young skillful players playing on the likes of Johnson and Richo and agree CB that that's actually very beneficial to them. However I don't see how it helps them if the total team structure around them is poor and very weak. I had similar feelings with Coburg in the last couple of years with the lack of height in their squad.

The second half yesterday was simply uncompetitive - 16.7 to 1.4 with a 9 goal to nil last quarter. If we wanted to give our best 22 a run together before the NAB Cup then we should have given them a half then mix the sides after half time like we did up in Learmonth. Imagine Limbach and Hughes getting the forward line supply of the Probables yesterday or Meyer and White in the Probables teaming up with Newman, Hartigan and Raines. More useful for their footy education IMHO.

Moi

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »
As long as Nick didn't mess with his face, that's okay  :rollin

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2006, 10:00:23 PM »
Messed his hair up and untucked his jumper. That's bad enough.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2006, 10:05:09 PM »
What's the go with Richo's hair?  They said he was "sluggish" - more likely having a bad hair day :blah

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2006, 10:34:26 PM »
What's the go with Richo's hair?  They said he was "sluggish" - more likely having a bad hair day :blah

As long as Richo kicks straight he could have an afro as far as I care ;D. He had 5 shots on goal in the first quarter and was running all over the place presenting so not sure where the press pulled "sluggish" from ???. It's not like Richo has to go full throttle in intra-club games to prove anything. That's also taking some credit away from Moore who got in some timely fists against the big fella i the third quarter when he went onto Richo.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2006, 08:37:39 AM »
Richo with an afro :lol  Hubby is always going on about Richo's "mullet".

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2006, 12:45:34 PM »
Speaking of hair, after having such a quiet intra-club Tambo will probably never get his hair cut the morning of a game again lol.

His wife and little baby boy Tyson were at the match too btw.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »
As long as Nick didn't mess with his face, that's okay  :rollin

LOL