Author Topic: Yarran was on drugs - found Geez  (Read 11982 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Unleash the tornado

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Yarran was on drugs - found Geez
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
Praise the lord

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
Well they hid that one well.  As the saying goes lying is the second language in AFL.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »
For those who can't access the article due to the paywall.

---------------------------

Chris Yarran talks drugs battle and end of career

Herald-Sun
17 August 2017

FORMER AFL star Chris Yarran has spoken about how his career was lost to a horror battle with drug addiction.

Yarran has sensationally revealed that throughout his AFL career he was gripped in a battle with methamphetamines and ice, after being introduced to drugs by a family member.

The footballer played 119 games for Carlton across a six-year AFL career that showed great promise.

Yarran was taken at pick number six in the 2008 AFL draft, but his drug habit would never allow him to reach the heights his potential promised.

The former Blue revealed all in a YouTube video, which he calls his testimony.

“Drugs were something I had despised my whole life,” Yarran says.

“I remember, as I was about to try ice, I said to myself ‘this will either be a good night or it would ruin me’ — It ruined me.

“It destroyed my relationship, my career, my finances and my health — physically and mentally.

“Physically, I went from a fit, healthy athlete, to a slob. I stacked on the weight and that’s when I started to miss training, because I didn’t want to be seen in the messed up state I was in.”

Yarran was traded to Richmond in 2015, as the Tigers hoped to resurrect the halfbacks career.

But, he would never play a game for the Yellow and Black, due to his inability to get on top of his demons.

“I would be awake for days and that started to take a toll,” Yarran said.

“I remember sitting in my bathroom for hours smoking meth, isolating myself from everyone and that’s when my mind would take over.

“Once I didn’t get a kick out of smoking, that’s when I started injecting it.

“I tried every avenue of help that the professionals recommended — counselling, psychiatrist, rehab. I spent four weeks in rehab for $1000 a night and the day I walked out, I was back on meth. This ended my footy career and a move back home to Perth.”

While his drug issues may have been known to some, his stuttering football career was said to be to ongoing “mental health issues”.

Only now do we know the true extent of Yarran’s battle, but he is fighting back.

Yarran has praised the work of a Perth pastor, who has helped the former AFL star find God. Now there’s hope Yarran can find his way back to football, at WAFL club Swan Districts.

“I remember feeling so down about myself, then I realised I’d hit rock bottom. I realised I was a person who had everything and then lost it all,” Yarran said.

“It was February 20, 2017, when Pastor Steve dropped around and invited me to a special series of meetings at the church. I made a decision that morning that I’d tried every human resource, the best the world had to offer, I needed something supernatural.

“I’d grown up knowing God was real, but I never knew who God was. That day, I came to church, I remember going down to the front and praying a prayer of repentance for my sins and I accepted Geez Geez into my heart. I met God.

“I remember feeling like a new person. For so long, I tried to overcome the darkness inside me, but the moment I accepted Geez Geez as my lord and saviour, everything changed.

“The darkness was gone, replaced with a light that gives me joy and peace that I searched for in my career and in drugs.

“I no longer had a desire in drugs, drink, gambling and partying. It was like I was made an entirely new person from the inside out. I was born again.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/chris-yarran-speaks-on-drugs-addiction/news-story/452468fed41905a63f7f8505772325c2

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
 :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »
That's really sad for the guy.

I know it's a personal thing but as supporters/members we are treated as mugs by our club.

We all pay our money but yet the club lies to our face.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »
Also not a great reflection on the AFL's drug detection program.

How does an AFL footballer get away with being undetected when clearly he was more than just a recreational user??

It just goes to show you what a "Micky Mouse" programme it must be.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 06:20:58 AM »
Yeh the drug program is a joke. Players get away with it every weekend.
You'd think a case as bad as yarrans might draw some attention though

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »
It's sad but good on him though.

He could have chosen the ben cousin loser way out of it, but didn't, and now his on the mend.

Full respect

As for the RFC and particularly BH get stuffed

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 06:49:46 AM »
Also not a great reflection on the AFL's drug detection program.

How does an AFL footballer get away with being undetected when clearly he was more than just a recreational user??

It just goes to show you what a "Micky Mouse" programme it must be.

Part of it is caused by this "self reporting" option...

Throw in the 3 strikes

Unless you are target tested like certain other players are and have been then it would seem easily

Agree the system is a farce
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 07:10:49 AM »
On the positive side, I'm glad the guy has been successful so far in his drug rehab. Substance abuse can be one of the hardest things to get over and you're never really completely over it, having to constantly make sure you are not tempted back to that dark world.  :thumbsup

On the negative side, the RFC recruiting team did not perform due diligence to find out he had this problem before giving up what they did for him. I know that privacy issues mean that there is no necessity for disclosure by any party but there was enough murmurs at the time to at least mean that the RFC should have investigated him more thoroughly.  :thumbsdown
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
Where was Geez?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 08:15:53 AM »
Carlton should be referred to the ACCC for knowingly selling faulty goods, sneaky stuffing scumbags.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
Carlton should be referred to the ACCC for knowingly selling faulty goods, sneaky stuffing scumbags.

Yep breach of consumer guarantee laws