Author Topic: Yarran was on drugs - found Geez  (Read 12223 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Yarran was on drugs - found Geez
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »
Common knowledge he was a problem child.

Our football dept made a stupid decision.

You may say we were bent over by those blue bast..ds.

The fact is, we fell into it ourselves. :banghead

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
AFL clubs might need to ask for compensation if they cannot test trade prospects for drug use

Michelangelo Rucci,
Chief Football Writer,
The Advertiser
23 August 2017

CAVEAT emptor ... buyer beware. This is the theme every AFL list manager and recruiting chief should remember in October when working the player trade market.

Yes, it is possible — most prudent — and accepted as the norm to send a prospective recruit to the club doctor to have his shoulders, knees, ankles, hamstring and back checked. Even his eyes. After all, it is the trade period is known as the “meat market”.

But no, as serious as the need is today, there is no avenue for asking a player to subject himself to a drug test. And there is no recourse if, as Richmond has learned with Chris Yarran, the player has a drug issue or strikes against his name.

So it is buyer beware. And it is highly unlikely this will change, regardless of the debate that begins with the Yarran case.

Certainly the players’ union — the AFL Players’ Association — would never push for change. It has engineered a drug policy that is a “welfare” system for its members. It will not allow these drug tests to limiting the players advancing to a new deal at a new club.

Everything about the AFL illicit drug policy — which the players remind all is taken up on a voluntarily rather than a edict from AFL House — is about confidentiality. And helping any player who falls in to the social drug cycle to find his way out with public shaming.

There is no chance of the players endorsing drug checks be added to medical tests during the trade period. More so if a club immediately stops trade talks after testing a player for drugs. The confidentiality — that the experts say is paramount to ensure successful rehabilitation from social drugs — would be blown.

So list managers and recruiting chiefs need to be diligent in their study of a players’ football ability — and his lifestyle off the field.
Chris Yarran in action for the Swan Districts reserves side in the WAFL. Picture: Daniel Wilkins

Yarran was released by Carlton to Richmond — for draft pick 19 — in the hectic last hours of the 2015 trade period. His manager Paul Connor says he did not know of Yarran’s drug problem (with ice) as he made the move from Princes Park to Punt Road. Carlton is equally adamant it had no insight to Yarran’s woes.

If there was a positive test on Yarran’s record it was known by the drug testers, the AFL medical officer and, on multiple strikes, the Carlton team doctor charged with making sure the 2010 Rising Star nominee was in rehabilitation sessions.

Yarran has not played an AFL game for the Tigers. And he continues to eat into Richmond’s salary cap by the contract he signed on being traded by Carlton.

There is no fallback point for the Tigers through the AFL system. No tribunal to hear a case on why the Tigers should be handed a compensation draft pick for misjudging Yarran’s soundness for AFL football.

But perhaps there should be. Again such a hearing would destroy the confidentiality that allows a player to make a full recovery. Although in this case it is Yarran who has put his drug issues to Richmond — after being traded — and later on the public record.

For now, the best advice is — buyer beware.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/michelangelo-rucci/afl-clubs-might-need-to-ask-for-compensation-if-they-cannot-test-trade-prospects-for-drug-use/news-story/3158264d173a1286709fbac832b0e56e

tony_montana

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
about time someone had the balls to come out and say it - absolute rort

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »
So the question is why did the club chose not to listen to the information given by our club captain and trade away our pick 19 for an ice addict?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »
It is a stuffing disgrace and the AFL should be ultimately held responsible.  Contracts should be terminated if the player is using illegal drugs and welfare should be handled and paid for by the AFL.  What insurance do clubs have against absolute fraud like this?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:21 PM »
Didn't  you effers hear? Geez is involved now.

It's all resolved apparently
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:22:04 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2018, 09:42:16 PM »
Looks like he's found something again....... :shh

https://www.theage.com.au/national/western-australia/former-afl-star-chris-yarran-facing-two-charges-after-overnight-arrest-20181110-p50f8y.html

Well he certain doesn't do things by halves. Alleged to have stolen two cars in this little effort.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:22:52 PM by WilliamPowell »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »
 :banghead

Be careful, you know the rules.... nowhere in the article does it mention what the original post suggested

Stick to what's in the article, not personal speculation
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
 :police:
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2018, 01:55:23 AM »
:banghead

Be careful, you know the rules.... nowhere in the article does it mention what the original post suggested

Stick to what's in the article, not personal speculation

Sorry, referring to this article

https://www.news.com.au/sport/chris-yarran-charged-with-assaulting-a-police-officer-after-alleged-car-stealing-spree-in-perth/news-story/4efeb740db50442c8e8be0edf90d8a5d

I actually wasn't referring to anything in the original post other than that Yarran was in serious trouble with the law. My bad.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2018, 12:26:52 AM »
Well they hid that one well.  As the saying goes lying is the second language in AFL.
lol this. Every man and his dog knew what was going on when it was going on yet we did cartwheels to get the bloke ahh  the rfc !!!! thank god we now  at least have  one bloke in balmy who knows what goes on.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2018, 12:56:24 AM »
I just wish we could win a premiership but the club has no idea
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"