Author Topic: The Premiership Cup goes on tour [merged]  (Read 9896 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I messaged a couple of people here some days ago about the engraving on the cup and in particular the engraving of 'Richmond'

I was really concerned about the quality of the engraving because I felt it was really poorly done. I let it go because I thought that
maybe I had it wrong and my eyes were deceiving me but I have noticed on another forum the engraving as come up in a post and
that particular post has received a lot of thumbs up.

It seems to me, that it was a rushed job probably done on the cheap. Its a shame. First premiership cup in 37 years and they did
that to it. You'd think after waiting 37 years they'd take the cup to Hardy Bros and get it engraved there. What are other peoples thoughts.
If we're being picky, it looks like the gold leaves are off-centre to the original engraved AFL text. The word "Richmond" looks centered to the front two gold leaves.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I messaged a couple of people here some days ago about the engraving on the cup and in particular the engraving of 'Richmond'

I was really concerned about the quality of the engraving because I felt it was really poorly done. I let it go because I thought that
maybe I had it wrong and my eyes were deceiving me but I have noticed on another forum the engraving as come up in a post and
that particular post has received a lot of thumbs up.

It seems to me, that it was a rushed job probably done on the cheap. Its a shame. First premiership cup in 37 years and they did
that to it. You'd think after waiting 37 years they'd take the cup to Hardy Bros and get it engraved there. What are other peoples thoughts.
If we're being picky, it looks like the gold leaves are off-centre to the original engraved AFL text. The word "Richmond" looks centered to the front two gold leaves.

Originally, I really didn't notice it but now it can't disputed

Yep, clearly not centred correctly apart from that the font type is fine.

Disappointing but there is nothing they can do about it unless we get another cup made... but no way should we do it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looks more centred in that last picture or is it just me?

tony_montana

Looks more centred in that last picture or is it just me?

I was just thinking that too

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The centring isn't quite right the big disappointment is the lack of 'crispness' of the engraving and the D in Richmond is smaller
than the rest. Sadly there is nothing that can be done, hopefully next time they go to a proper jeweller like Hardy Bros and get it
engraved their. Hardys did the engraving for the Melbourne Cup for a fair while, they would have job a much better job. The cup
now seems to have lost a little bit of its lustre because of the poor engraving job. Its just disappointing. For a couple hundred
bucks this wouldn't have even been a problem. I wonder who made the decision to take the cup to the engravers that did it? They
deserve a huge kick up the backside for mine. Premiership cups don't grow on trees.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
The centring isn't quite right the big disappointment is the lack of 'crispness' of the engraving and the D in Richmond is smaller
than the rest. Sadly there is nothing that can be done, hopefully next time they go to a proper jeweller like Hardy Bros and get it
engraved their. Hardys did the engraving for the Melbourne Cup for a fair while, they would have job a much better job. The cup
now seems to have lost a little bit of its lustre because of the poor engraving job. Its just disappointing. For a couple hundred
bucks this wouldn't have even been a problem. I wonder who made the decision to take the cup to the engravers that did it? They
deserve a huge kick up the backside for mine. Premiership cups don't grow on trees.

Who's to say the AFL didn't organise the engraving Ramps?

they control everything else, wouldn't surprise if they control this

And again who's to say it wasn't a reputable jeweller who has simply stuffed up? Sadly it happens more often than folks realise

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Pretty sure clubs oversee the engraving - f.e. last year, Dogs didn't get around to having it done for ages - still wasn't even done when they were having the fan photos...also the fact they're usually not done in gold lettering like ours is suggests that was the club's idea... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Pretty sure clubs oversee the engraving - f.e. last year, Dogs didn't get around to having it done for ages - still wasn't even done when they were having the fan photos...also the fact they're usually not done in gold lettering like ours is suggests that was the club's idea... :shh

Fair enough

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame

Fair enough

and the gold lettering is also a fail. sometimes less is more.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
As a comparison, the 1969, 1980 & 2017 Cups. Each with different engraving font of "Richmond".

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
The engraving on the 1969 is really good in my opinion. I think also this latest cup engraving is off
because the engraving is too straight at the base and doesn't loop up as much.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Source: RFC website.