Author Topic: Richmond makes $5 million profit / Aiming for 90,000 members (Herald-Sun)  (Read 6103 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond premiership profit: $5 million, AFL Tigers memorabilia, merchandise, 90,000 members

MICHAEL WARNER,
Herald Sun
24 October 2017

RICHMOND’S drought-breaking flag has fuelled a $5 million cash bonanza.

Record merchandise sales and the biggest memorabilia clearance in the history of Australian sport have sparked the Punt Rd windfall.

The resurgent Tigers are also aiming to become footy’s first club to crash through the 90,000-member mark.

“Clearly the success this season is going to drive a significant off-field result, some of which will flow into next year’s financial figures,” Richmond president Peggy O’Neal said.

“We also expect this season will fuel next year — and there is no reason why we shouldn’t be aiming to be the first club through 90,000 members.”

Richmond’s contentious yellow “clash strip” worn in the Grand Final win against Adelaide has sold out across the country with a new batch to hit the shelves in the coming weeks.

The Tigers carry zero debt and will be handed a dream schedule of matches, including a spree of prized Friday night games, when the 2018 fixture is released next week.

Major sponsor Jeep has recommitted until the end of 2020, while health insurer nib has replaced Bingle as the club’s other major partner.

Apparel supplier Puma was one of nine second-tier sponsors to join the club during the 2017 season.

Swinburne University bought Punt Rd Oval naming rights in May as part of a four-year deal that will see the two entities join forces on a proposed redevelopment of the precinct.

Richmond has also established a major subsidiary business, Aligned Leisure, managing eight leisure centres in the Shire of Cardinia as well as the Eltham Leisure Centre.

“The club has been prudent in its financial management ... and we are now in a very sound position,” O’Neal said.

Richmond’s premiership heroes have also cashed in on the club’s first Grand Final win since 1980.

More than $1.2 million in AFL premiership prizemoney has been split between the club and all listed players.

Dustin Martin — the first player to win the Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith Medal and a premiership medal in the same season — has emerged as one of the most marketable names in the game.

Martin’s manager, Ralph Carr, has likened his star power to soccer superstar David Beckham.

“He’s a new-age, authentic, marketable brand,” Carr said today.

“He’s appealing to multinational companies that are trying to reach a broader audience.

“There’s incredible interest in Dustin, but he is selective about what he lends his brand to. He’s a star, and a deserving one.”

The Tigers will unveil their premiership flag at the MCG on Thursday, March 22 in their traditional season-opener against Carlton at the MCG.

League chiefs have also signed off on the continuation of Richmond’s annual Anzac Day eve clash against Melbourne on Tuesday, April 24.

This year’s game drew a massive 85,657 fans — Melbourne’s biggest home-and-away crowd since 1964.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmonds-5-million-premiership-bonanza/news-story/5da8c94802c4bcc7223734a9d3fa2040

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
90,000 what a target!!!!
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
90,000 what a target!!!!
What are the dawks going to do? They might have to go and buy more cats & dogs.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Dougeytherichmondfan

90,000 what a target!!!!
What are the dawks going to do? They might have to go and buy more cats & dogs.  :rollin
Buy one membership, get the 2nd free!!!!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
stuff I'll have no room to move Sall good 🏆🐯

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
They may have had a cash windfall on GF merch sales

But it is a pity they can't fill the orders and answer emails

I ordered 5 item on line

I got charged postage on a $400 order when it should have been free

Of 5 item ordered, 1 a cap was delivered yesterday

Have emailed the store 3 times in the last 4 weeks to try and sort out the postage fiasco, no reply

I get they have been busy but a bit of customer service wouldn't go astray

They've got my money,  no problem but at least show some sort of service to your customers and answer bloody emails
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
I haven’t got my gear from Richmond or the Herald-Sun

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

I told you ordering it while in Swan Street after the game was not a good idea.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

I told you ordering it while in Swan Street after the game was not a good idea.
I ordered a beer in Swan St after the game and got it yesterday.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Be good to see the club invest this money in some long term assets like a 2nd social club in Richmond vis a pub acquisition or a long term lease on a function room at the G for every game played there including rugby, soccer and cricket. Set us up for a steady cashflow for 20 years plus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond makes $5 million profit / Aiming for 90,000 members (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:23 PM »
Be good to see the club invest this money in some long term assets like a 2nd social club in Richmond vis a pub acquisition or a long term lease on a function room at the G for every game played there including rugby, soccer and cricket. Set us up for a steady cashflow for 20 years plus

Club has a corproate box at the MCG that anyone can hire out. Caters for 15

We booked it for the 3rd day of Test cricket last year and it was sensational.

Endless food and drink.

Was brilliant

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »

Endless food and drink.

Was brilliant

Cost?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »

Endless food and drink.

Was brilliant

Cost?

Depends on the event

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »

I agree with this but the pub should be in Richmond and it should be close to Punt Road. The pubs most suited to us as a club would
be 'The Precinct' and 'London Tavern'. Personally The Precinct would be a great pub for our club to get its hands on.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »

I agree with this but the pub should be in Richmond and it should be close to Punt Road. The pubs most suited to us as a club would
be 'The Precinct' and 'London Tavern'. Personally The Precinct would be a great pub for our club to get its hands on.

or just build a pub at Punt Rd Oval
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018