Author Topic: Well known and famous Tiger supporters  (Read 135540 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Well known and famous Tiger supporters
« Reply #360 on: June 09, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »
Absolute champion. I always regard the French as the hardest and most prestigious one to win for the completely biased reason that my horrible tennis skills are even worse on clay. Give her the order of Australia ASAP because she has done something truly incredible. I hope that trophy makes a tour to tiger land to inspire the lads

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #361 on: June 09, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »
so good. Many more to come

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2019, 08:09:27 AM »
West Perth champ Bill Dempsey has been a Tigers supporter all his life.

A legend of WA and Territory football.

Heard a great interview with him on local ABC radio earlier this week. Amazing story. He says he respects all players and doesn't have favourites, but rates Riewoldt as the most exciting player to watch.

Apparently there is a book coming out about his life. Based on the interview, if you get the chance to read it, do so.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2019, 02:40:09 AM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #365 on: July 23, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »
Moment Waleed was filled with hatred

Andrew McMurtry
News.com.au
23 July 2019

Love him or hate him, The Project host Waleed Aly is without doubt one of the biggest and most high profile AFL fans out there.

The Richmond diehard has been a passionate Tigers supporter from the years of desperation to the glory of the 2017 flag. Aly’s support has been unwavering as a fan and even a mascot.

In an interview on FOX FOOTY’S Bob, set to air at 8.30pm on Tuesday night, Aly spoke about his fandom and the freak coincidence that linked himself and the show’s host, former Western Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy.

Aly has been a faithful Richmond follower ever since his older brother introduced him to the club as a boy, and Murphy also admitted he was “a mad Richmond fan” as a child, even doing work experience with the club.

As the pair discussed their love of footy, the 317-game Western Bulldogs legend remembered his fourth game in the AFL back in 2001.

“(Dogs legend) Tony Liberatore smashes Matthew Knights’ nose all over his face so there’s this massive brawl,” Murphy said as Aly’s interest piques. “And this intense rivalry begins between the Tigers and the Bulldogs.”

In a stunning coincidence, Aly revealed: “I was the Richmond mascot on that day.”

Murphy couldn’t hide his shock, saying: “No, no you weren’t.”

Aly, who was the back-up mascot at the time, was called up to the big leagues for the memorable match.

“I saw Woofer (the Western Bulldogs mascot) beckoning me, just through the mouth of the head,” Aly said. “That was the scariest Woofer I’ve ever seen. So I ended up wrestling him at the MCG in front of 40,000 people.

“I reach to flip him or something and the crowd roars, I don’t know why. I stand up and put my head back on straight and I look through the mouth and I’ve ripped his head off. I’ve just ruined these kids.”

In the return match, the crowd was heated again. It led to a surprising and out-of-character admission from Aly.

“I remember what it was like in the stands and I remember it’s the only time I’ve ever felt something approximating hatred for the supporters on the other team,” he said.

“It was something about the way they went at Knights. Going at Liba, I get that, but what did Knights do? It’s the only time I’ve ever cheered really loudly at someone because I’m not that kind of supporter at all but I obviously just got provoked to that point. I didn’t swear or anything.”

Murphy couldn’t help but tease Aly for his tepid show of aggression.

After countless scandals about poor crowd behaviour which have rocked the AFL in recent times, as well as overbearing tactics from stadium officials which have drawn the ire of fans, Aly said life in the stands has changed a lot since he was a boy.

“Yelling out was a performance, not an expulsion,” Aly said.

Murphy added: “It was like amateur theatre.”

“And there were some really good amateur thespians,” Aly joked.

“But I don’t know. Is it just that we’re older and we can actually hear the darkness that we weren’t keyed into before? Is it that the stuff that was yelled out was never really that funny but because we were kids we thought it was? Or is it genuinely a function of our ticketing arrangements?

“Can you ever sit amongst the reserve seat members of any club and walk out of a stadium not thinking you were screwed by the umpires? I doubt it.

“When we were kids and we went to the footy, around you would be some of those people who are now in those reserve seats, and some of the people who were just tourists for the day, and some of those people for whom footy was exciting but only while it was happening and then they’d move on beyond that.

“So there were people who were able to have fun with it right next to the people who were adding the intensity. I reckon out of that mix came humour, whereas now I think that’s harder because you’re either sitting with people who don’t care that much or those who care way too much.”

Waleed Aly will be the guest on FOX FOOTY’s Bob on Foxtel channel 504 at 8.30pm on Tuesday July 23.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/waleed-aly-opens-up-on-richmond-tigers-fandom-and-a-freak-afl-coincidence/news-story/c1d9f03fe85f338c9b36d6e4a1babc26

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #366 on: July 23, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »
Amazing anecdote regarding the mascots.

I vaguely recall the incident of the mascots fighting as well, although I was just a kid.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: July 23, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
Apart from losing to them by 110+ in r1 2006, it was the angriest I’ve been at a Bulldogs game. Dumbarse Dogs fan completely missed the unprovoked cheap shot of Libba on Knights and the aftermath was why they were booing Knighter.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
Ben Simmons barracks for Essendon but he was down at Punt Rd yesterday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Ben Simmons Roosting A Drop Punt Straight Through The Hi-Diddle From 50

By Cam Tyeson
pedestrian.tv
7 August 2019

You tend to forget that, having grown up in Melbourne, Ben Simmons was actually a pretty handy footballer in his younger days and actually had to choose between seriously pursuing footy or basketball. Despite (quite smartly) choosing the path to the NBA, the footy skills apparently haven’t left Simmons, who put them on display yesterday during a casual muck around at the Richmond Football Club.

Simmons swung by the iconic Punt Rd training ground of the Tigers to hang out with Richmond AFLW gun recruit Sabrina Frederick yesterday (despite being a devout, lifelong Essendon fan thank you very much), where he not only added another photo to the ever-growing wall of “international sports star interacts with insane local game,” but he showed off an entirely decent right leg by drilling a textbook drop punt straight through the big sticks from just outside 50.

You’re always welcome at Tigerland, @BenSimmons25 ????

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1158642907475111937

— Richmond FC ???? (@Richmond_FC) August 6, 2019

That ball hold is anything but textbook, but you can’t fault the form otherwise. Good ball drop. Solid follow-through. Hung it out on the breeze top of the right goal post and rode it all the way home. There’s key forwards with 150 games under their belts who don’t strike the ball that cleanly.

And if all that weren’t enough, Simmons calmly slotted another one from the 50 arc, only this time hard up against the boundary line.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/sport/ben-simmons-big-kicky/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #369 on: August 08, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
Richmond Tigers life member and former Fiat Chrysler Australia regional boss John Kett is back. He’s been appointed chief operating officer at Hyundai Australia, in a role he started this week.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/cbd-melbourne-ferguson-s-bank-book-bridges-media-divide-20190807-p52ewt.html

--------------------------------------

Sarah Maree Cameron (pictured) is joining join Triple M Melbourne as the station’s new mornings announcer.

Sarah Maree, born and raised in Melbourne, returns to her hometown to join Triple M. Currently she co-hosts the breakfast show on K-Rock Geelong, and prior to that was on-air at Fox and Nova.

Sarah Maree said: “To be joining the legendary Triple M, the station I grew up listening to, feels surreal. I can’t wait to be closer to family and friends and my beloved Richmond Tigers.”

Sarah Maree will commence with Triple M in early September.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/mediaweek-roundup-macquarie-media-disney-the-block-more/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: August 08, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
Richmond Tigers life member and former Fiat Chrysler Australia regional boss John Kett is back. He’s been appointed chief operating officer at Hyundai Australia, in a role he started this week.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/cbd-melbourne-ferguson-s-bank-book-bridges-media-divide-20190807-p52ewt.html

Sarah Maree Cameron (pictured) is joining join Triple M Melbourne as the station’s new mornings announcer.

Sarah Maree, born and raised in Melbourne, returns to her hometown to join Triple M. Currently she co-hosts the breakfast show on K-Rock Geelong, and prior to that was on-air at Fox and Nova.

Sarah Maree said: “To be joining the legendary Triple M, the station I grew up listening to, feels surreal. I can’t wait to be closer to family and friends and my beloved Richmond Tigers.”

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/mediaweek-roundup-macquarie-media-disney-the-block-more/

Looks like we'll be getting hyundai as a sponsor down the track.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #371 on: August 08, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »

Looks like we'll be getting hyundai as a sponsor down the track.

Highly unlikely in short to medium term

Outside of the sponsorship of the A-league

They have long term deal with Carlton that was extended last year for a further 5 yesrs IIRC
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #372 on: August 08, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »

scrapping the barrel ....Who ??????

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #373 on: August 08, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »
Wasn't she the fat chick from Big Brother? :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: August 08, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
My only guess is because Chrissy and Ryan Fitzgerald  from big brother Are fairly popular hosts triple m will dig from the big brother bucket also?