Author Topic: Proposed 2017 RFC Constitution amendments - New EGM & Life membership criteria  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Wow

They win us a premiership, and now we want to get stuck in to them for making a couple of changes to the constitution.

Seriously?

They didn't win us a premiership, the players won the premiership. This mob on the board have done an ordinary job when looking at their performance over the entirety of their tenure. Peggy has been on the board for 10 years, 1 flag in 10 years is ordinary for mine.
Vote No to the changes.

You can call it dumb luck, but this board stuck with Hardwick and the rest is history.

You could argue we might have won more than one flag if we had a different board, or a different coach over that time.

But good luck with that.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
This board has a history of trying to take away members rights, they got away with being able to install whoever they like, now they
want to make it harder to have an EGM. In 10 years time don't complain if you as a member have no rights.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
This board has a history of trying to take away members rights, they got away with being able to install whoever they like, now they
want to make it harder to have an EGM. In 10 years time don't complain if you as a member have no rights.
Under the changes voted in last year, members resolutions require 100 members OR 5% signatures for the AGM.
If they get the EGM through this year it means that to have any input will require above 2500 members.

And this is only to get the membership to vote on a motion.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Now onto the Resolution. Peggy says "we've never had an EGM in the modern history of the club". I note she inserted the word modern into her presentation, after I made them aware they had one in 1911. Peggy stating her case to make a EGM 5%

Now Member asking why you cant vote separately on the resolution.

Peggy says last years EGM was voted down by 11 votes. Says some members didnt know they could vote proxy. Peggy also says it can be destablising. (Audience applauds).

Another member now says that the proposal of 5% is too high. He raises 3 points against the EGM proposal...

Another member speaking in favour of the EGM resolution. "Things dont have to be broken for it to be changed"

Another member is concerned about 5% percentage resolution

EGM amendment has passed.

284 yes
30 no

https://twitter.com/rhettrospective/status/940129437378535424

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I note on your twitter that you say there were about 200 present.
Minor thing but I think that's a bit high. I counted about 140 and that is born out by the vote.

314 total less 190 proxies leaves about 124 voters present.
Of course some may have abstained but I don't think it would be many.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ex-Hawks Brian Lake & Campbell Brown slam Tigers' life membership changes (Fox)
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
Richmond’s decision to award life membership to all premiership players slammed by former Hawks

Ben Waterworth
December 13, 2017 1:43pm
FOX SPORTS

TRIPLE premiership Hawk Brian Lake says he would’ve “cheated” his way to Hawthorn life membership if it had been offered to him just for being a premiership player, cheekily comparing the hypothetical rushed process to dating app Tinder.

The comments come after Richmond altered its constitution to allow every premiership-winning Tiger to become eligible for life membership of the club. Previously, only Tigers with one flag and 100 games, or multiple premierships, to their name were eligible to be life members, before a vote at Richmond’s AGM on Monday night altered the rule.

That means five-gamer Jack Graham, who was Richmond’s youngest premiership player earlier this year, could soon be in line to be a life member of the Tigers.

Lake is a life member of the Western Bulldogs but not of Hawthorn, despite winning three flags and a Norm Smith medal with the Hawks. To be considered for life membership at Hawthorn, a player must have played at least 150 games or given the club at least 10 years of service.

And Lake has no issue with that criteria, saying players should be rewarded for long-term service to the club.

“I’d be reasonably embarrassed walking into a life membership function and saying, ‘yeah I’ve won three flags’,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I’m a life member of the Bulldogs. I was there for 10 years and I played 197 games there. I rode the waves of a lot of things at that football club … you feel like you earn that a lot more.

“Whereas you look at myself at the Hawks, I was just at the right place at the right time. You still worked hard for it, but … I’d feel like I cheated my way to be a life member of the Hawthorn footy club.

Lake had a cheeky comparison for the Tigers’ recent decision.

“I look at it and you could relate it to Tinder these days. That is just your easy way of getting to you-know-what,” Lake laughed.

“How much more do you enjoy it when you’ve had to go to the pub, you’ve had to have a few beers, you get the courage to go up and speak to her, and you have to do the hard work?

“You enjoy that more, don’t you, than just cheating your way to the final prize.

“I still feel part of the Hawthorn footy club. I am a premiership player, yes, but I don’t categorise myself as a life member because I didn’t go through the heartache of what they’ve had to experience.”

Premiership Hawk Campbell Brown, who is a life member at the Hawks, also disagreed with the Tigers’ constitutional change, claiming it “really diminishes the significance of what a life membership is to the players who already have it”.

“Life membership is earned by a significant contribution over a long period of time.

“You go back to Bill James in 1920, who played one game of football for Richmond, is now a life member, the same as Francis Bourke who played 300 games and won multiple premierships. It doesn’t sit well with me.

“I’m not having any go at the guys who are now inducted, but think Jack Graham or Jacob Townsend, who are in the infancy of their careers, are now going to be life members.

Brown also pointed out former long-serving Tigers like Kane Johnson and Chris Naish as non-life members despite giving their all to the club.

“Could you imagine contributing to a footy club for 30 to 40 to 50 years and a guy who has played one game for Richmond being put on par as the same contribution?” Brown said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmonds-decision-to-award-life-membership-to-all-premiership-players-slammed-by-former-hawks/news-story/5aef821d43256c811ee9f8543c7df008

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
“You go back to Bill James in 1920, who played one game of football for Richmond, is now a life member, the same as Francis Bourke who played 300 games and won multiple premierships. It doesn’t sit well with me.

“I’m not having any go at the guys who are now inducted, but think Jack Graham or Jacob Townsend, who are in the infancy of their careers, are now going to be life members.

Brown also pointed out former long-serving Tigers like Kane Johnson and Chris Naish as non-life members despite giving their all to the club.

“Could you imagine contributing to a footy club for 30 to 40 to 50 years and a guy who has played one game for Richmond being put on par as the same contribution?” Brown said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmonds-decision-to-award-life-membership-to-all-premiership-players-slammed-by-former-hawks/news-story/5aef821d43256c811ee9f8543c7df008
I might be wrong but I thought if you served 20+ years off-field (eg: as a trainer or boot-studder) you were eventually awarded life membership?

Bill James infamously shot himself in the foot while hunting. That's why he never played again after that 1920 premiership.

ps. I would go further and award players who played a certain number of games during the season but missed the GF (say due to injury) a premiership medallion. It takes more than the 22 players on GF day to achieve the ultimate success across a season. That's what they do in other sports such as Soccer.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd