Author Topic: Essendon and Richmond practice match for Mildura - Friday March 17.  (Read 16618 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Essendon and Richmond gesture for Mildura
Herald-Sun
02mar06

A KEVIN SHEEDY-inspired football match will be played in Mildura to help bring back a smile to the devastated community.

Essendon and Richmond will likely play a match on Friday, March 17, at Red Cliffs Oval.
Up to 15,000 people are expected to attend with all proceeds likely to be donated to a trust fund being set up by the City of Mildura.

The town was left reeling 10 days ago when six teenagers, most fanatical football fans, died instantly when they were crashed into by a car.

Essendon and the AFL yesterday stressed they did not want the match to be a tribute or memorial game, but simply a gesture to Mildura that people were thinking of them.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18318492%255E11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Essendon and Richmond practice match for Mildura - Friday March 17.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:23:12 AM »
Another good deed by the RFC :clapping. Well done to Sheeds also for thinking of the idea.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:09:48 PM »
Tigers rally round Mildura
10:31:33 AM Thu 2 March, 2006
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond has jumped at the chance to do its bit to help Mildura residents, who have been devastated by the recent deaths of six local teenagers in an horrific road accident.

The Tigers will play a practice match in their traditional Victorian country heartland, against Essendon, on Friday, March 17.

The match is expected to be held as a twilight fixture at Red Cliffs Oval, with a crowd of up to 15,000 tipped to attend.

“It’s for the spirit of the community up there,” said Richmond’s Football Operations Manager Paul Armstrong.

“We had a really good community camp there last year and we’d hoped to get back there at some stage to play a game for the Mildura people.

“Unfortunately, it’s tragic circumstances that sees us going there, but if in some way it goes towards helping those people affected by this horrible tragedy, well, we’re very pleased to be able to help out.”

Mildura was in the centre of Richmond’s country recruiting zone for many years and it produced such Tiger stars as Dale Weightman and Mark Lee.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=248845
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:41:53 PM »
Bombers and Tigers unite for Mildura
02 March 2006   Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

ESSENDON and Richmond will play a football match in Mildura to help return a smile to the devastated community.

The brainchild of Kevin Sheedy and the Bombers, the practice match, to be played at Red Cliffs Oval, is likely to be held as a twilight clash on Friday, March 17.

Up to 15,000 people are expected to attend, with all proceeds likely to be donated to a trust fund being set up by the City of Mildura.

The town was left reeling 10 days ago when six local teenagers died after being hit in a horrific road accident.

Several others were critically injured.

Essendon and the AFL yesterday stressed they did not want the match to be a tribute or memorial game for the deceased, but simply a gesture to Mildura that people outside its community were thinking of the town.

Both clubs will field full-strength teams, the Bombers to include James Hird and Matthew Lloyd and Richmond Nathan Brown and Matthew Richardson.

Mildura Mayor Eddie Warhurst was deeply moved by the initiative.

"The idea would've come from the heart," he said yesterday.

"Obviously, Kevin Sheedy was concerned enough and empathised enough with it to take it to the AFL and the AFL responded immediately.

"This has given us something to look forward to in the context of the fact it grew out of something that was a very, very real tragedy.

"And it was suggested and driven by people outside the community and, quite frankly, that says it all."

Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson yesterday acknowledged a game of football could not replace or repair what had happened.

"Mildura has had a shocking couple of weeks and we can't possibly doing anything directly to erase what happened," Jackson said.

"A game of football is a game of football, but if we can give the community a bit of relief and a bit of a diversion, well it's worth going up there.

"Sport is a very important part of any community. Even more so regional communities. It's one of the things that binds communities together."

A father of six, Jackson, like everyone, was shocked at the loss of lives.

"I couldn't think of anything worse. As a parent I don't know how you'd deal with it. It's a fear that every parent has," he said. "It's so tragic . . . so if we can help, we will."

Mildura has been a Tigers heartland for many decades, producing greats such as Dale Weightman and Mark Lee.

Last year Richmond was sent there as part of the community camp program, with coach Terry Wallace promising the town the Tigers would be back when they could.

Wallace said yesterday the circumstances of the return were tragic.

"We've all been watching the stories closely. We know one of the girls, through the Herald Sun, was wearing a Tigers guernsey. So, when Essendon's initiative came up we thought what an opportunity to try to support," Wallace said.

"It's obviously been a very sad time up there and it will be that when we go up, but if we can do our little bit to support them, we are more than happy to do so."

AFL ground operations manager Jill Lindsay yesterday inspected the Red Cliffs Oval and facilities and gave the green light.

It's believed the AFL is exploring ways to raise money, either through ticketing or a donation. League sponsors are also believed to be considering getting involved.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the game would hopefully act as a unifying force.
He thanked Sheedy and Bombers communications manager Simon Matthews for the idea and the Tigers and the mayor for combining to make the game take place.

"Everyone has been touched by this tragedy and the impact the loss of six young lives and the injuries to a number of others has had on the broader community," Demetriou said.

"Certainly the footballing community has been saddened by the recent events and this game can act as an opportunity to show the game's support for the community.

"This is a way the AFL family thought it could help."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18320063%255E19771,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 02:43:47 PM »
Hard to know what to say at these times.  When this happened, I started reading some of the articles and couldn’t finish any of them.

It’s a great gesture by Kevin Sheedy and the two Clubs to put this game together.  Hopefully it reminds people what footy and sport is about - giving people something to forget everything else going on in their lives, even if it’s only for a short time.

If anyone happens to make the long trek, you can sit on ‘One Eye Hill’, on the social club side of the ground, and barrack for the mighty Tigers.  Red Cliffs is also known as the Tigers, so Richmond can be like the home team.

Hope I’ve got my history right.  I remember hearing that Michael Bowden (father of Joel and Patrick) played for Red Cliffs in the early 70’s, I think it was.  Phil Egan also coached there, after his AFL career.  And Trevor Larkins, who had a brief stint at Richmond, also played for Red Cliffs.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon and Richmond practice Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:23:57 PM »
Mildura clash confirmed
1:17:48 PM Thu 2 March, 2006
Sportal for afl.com.au

The AFL has confirmed that Richmond and Essendon will play a NAB Challenge match at Red Cliffs on Friday, March 17 in support of the Mildura community devastated by the recent deaths of six teenagers in a road accident.

The proceeds of the twilight NAB Challenge match are being donated to the memorial fund set up in memory of the six teenagers which is being administered by the Mildura Rural City Council.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said tickets for the match would be sold in advance and that the proceeds – and any donations on the night – would go to the fund.

He also thanked Ahmed Fahour, the CEO of the National Australia Bank, sponsor of the NAB Challenge, who had responded immediately to the news of the game by pledging a donation of $20,000 to the fund.

"Football is at the heart of Australian communities. Recently, the Mildura community has had its heart broken when six local teenagers died in a tragic car accident. Through our association with AFL football, everyone at NAB is delighted to support this special NAB Challenge match and contribute to the trust fund established by the City of Mildura," Fahour said.

The late-afternoon match will be held at Red Cliffs oval. The exact starting time will be announced in the next day or so as will the ticketing arrangements.

Demetriou thanked Essendon , particularly coach Kevin Sheedy and Communications Manager Simon Matthews, for suggesting the idea of holding the match in Red Cliffs and Richmond , which has a close connection with the area, for immediately and enthusiastically embracing the concept.

"The footballing family, like the entire community has been saddened by the loss of these young lives," Demetriou said.

"Football is a great sport but it also can be a great catalyst for bringing people together we hope the community can come together to support the grieving families and friends of the young people who died," Demetriou said.

He also paid special tribute to the mayor of Mildura Rural City Council, Cr Eddie Warhurst and his staff who had worked tirelessly to ensure the match could be played.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=248882

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 05:48:10 PM »
maybe we can get the NAB to sponsor the ball!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »
Ch 10 said Motorola will donate a $1 to the Mildura City council community fund for every person who attends this match. Hopefully they'll get the 15,000 crowd expected.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 11:07:44 PM »
The population of Red Cliffs would be lucky to be 5,000, I think.  But I'm sure the people of Sunraysia will come out in force for the game.

Offline H*

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:29:28 AM »
Now get Fox to televise the game, and run a hotline. Viewership would be pretty good i think.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 09:32:15 AM »
Now get Fox to televise the game, and run a hotline. Viewership would be pretty good i think.

fantastic idea

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »

fantastic idea

Agree, a terrific idea h-star. Get a radio station (ABC or 3aw) involved as well with the coverage for those without pay-tv.

Moi

Ticket rush for football memorial match
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 11:17:03 AM »
Football fans have rushed to secure tickets for a pre-season AFL match being held in support of the Mildura community after the recent deaths of six teenagers in a road accident.

Tickets to the Richmond versus Essendon clash at Red Cliffs went on sale on Saturday and already more than 3,500 have been sold.

Proceeds from the game will be donated to the memorial fund set up in memory of the teenagers.

The Mayor of Mildura Rural City Council, Eddie Warhurst, is expecting up to 10,000 tickets to be sold, and is not surprised so many people have got in early for the March 17 game.

"As soon as it became apparent that the potential was there to have something like this I knew that the community would respond in a very strong way and I've expected nothing less really and I think it is something that we as a community can all look forward to," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/vic/mildura/200603/s1584560.htm

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »
The last time Richmond and Essendon played in Mildura was about 1987, give or take a couple of years, and about 10,000 turned up then.

Both clubs would have big support in the area.  Regardless of who plays they will get a good crowd, but if the stars of both teams play, as has been stated, then that will just add to it.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »

Sensational idea H* - great PR for Fox Footy and a chance for people in Melbourne to contribute.