Author Topic: Essendon and Richmond practice match for Mildura - Friday March 17.  (Read 16626 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Blistering Bombers trounce Tigers (AFL site)
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »
Blistering Bombers trounce Tigers
7:34:40 PM Fri 17 March, 2006
Jason Phelan in Red Cliffs
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Essendon has registered a resounding 51-point win over Richmond - 18.15 (123) to 11.6 (72) - on an emotional day at Red Cliffs on Friday.

The NAB Challenge match was scheduled by the AFL as a show of support to the Mildura community devastated by the recent deaths of six teenagers in a road accident, with a video tribute and minute's silence held for the victims prior to the bounce.

The Bombers set up the win with a blistering first half that saw them open up a 51-point lead at the main break and managed to keep the Tigers at arms length for the rest of the game.

Essendon skipper Matthew Lloyd top-scored for the Bombers with four goals, but he was well-supported by Scott Lucas who booted two goals and had a strong presence up forward all day.

Brent Stanton and James Hird gave excellent drive through the middle and Adam McPhee and Dustin Fletcher proved impassable on most occasions in defence.

For the Tigers, David Rodan continued his stellar comeback from a knee reconstruction with another impressive display, while Andrew Kellaway and Matthew Richardson were also prominent.

Courtney Johns got the ball rolling with two early goals for the Dons and Mark McVeigh capitalised on a Tiger turnover to bag his first as Essendon set up a 21-point advantage at quarter-time.

A further two Bomber goals to start the second half blew the margin out to 33 points before Richmond was stung into action. Goals to Patrick Bowden and Kane Pettifer slashed the deficit, but the fightback was short-lived as Essendon piled on the last five goals of the first half.

The result was a foregone conclusion from that point, but Troy Simmonds gave Tiger supporters something to cheer about with a couple of goals in the third stanza. Opposing ruckman David Hille was not to be outdone, however, and snagged two of his own to help Essendon out to a 59-point lead at the last break.

The Tigers looked intent on adding some respectability with the first two goals of the last term, but crowd favourite Hird bagged his only goal of the match to ensure a hefty winning margin.

ESSENDON: 3.6, 11.7, 15.10, 18.15 (123)
RICHMOND: 0.3, 3.4, 6.5, 11.6 (72)

GOALS –
Essendon:Lloyd 4, Johns 3, Lucas 2, Hille 2, Heffernan 2, McVeigh 2, Monfries, Hird, Dempsey
Richmond: Pettifer 3, Pattison 2, Simmonds 2, Hughes, P Bowden, Rodan, Brown

BEST –
Essendon: Stanton, Hird, Lucas, McPhee, McVeigh, Lloyd, Fletcher.
Richmond: Rodan, Kellaway, Deledio, Raines, Richardson

INJURIES –
Essendon: Nil
Richmond Gaspar (corked calf)

REPORTS - Nil

UMPIRES - McBurney, Kamolins, James, Fraser

CROWD - 10,000 at Quandong Park, Red Cliffs

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=251552

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Essendon and Richmond practice match for Mildura - Friday March 17.
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2006, 09:30:15 PM »

If it's the one X was talking about during the game, how is this not a free to Richo when the bomber player has his back to the footy ???.

No Petts ???

The reporters must have been watching a different game going by the posts on OER  :-\.

Richmond Gaspar (corked calf)

Thankfully we got through pre-season without any major injuries. The only good thing to come out of today.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
I hate Essendon >:( :banghead :chuck

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:46 PM »
Apart from a few good performances by individuals, doesn’t sound like there was much for us to take from that effort.

I can just imagine Kevin Sheedy getting his players fired up for this type of game.  Too bad we weren’t able to match them in that department, practice game or no practice game.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2006, 11:37:38 PM »
Coaches say:

Richmond coach Terry Wallace admitted his side had been through an up-and-down pre-season and felt his players had been a little unsettled by the occasion.

"A week ago we played really good football and probably played as well as I've seen us play, today we just really didn't come to the office," Wallace said.

"What it shows you is that if at any time you're not on your game in this competition, you're going to get blown away."

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy was relieved to have escaped the match without injuries and was optimistic about his side's chances this season.

"We've got some good young tall kids coming through and we're balancing out at the ground level," Sheedy said.

"Courtney Johns looked quite good, just needed more game time. Young Paddy Ryder's coming along OK and when you throw in Scott Camporeale, Jason Laycock and these sorts of guys - we've probably got up to eight or nine players who could still come in."

http://afl.com.au/?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=251558

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2006, 04:47:24 AM »
Our best according to a poster on bomberblitz at the game:

Pettifer: easily. Was hard to match up on for the bombers, I think Welsh had the job. Roamed between 40 and 80 metres from goal most of the day and had about 20 disposals. Set up about 3 goals and kicked 3 himself.

Rodan: Little jack in the box in the middle. Tried hard all day.

Richo: Took about 15 marks but most were useless as they were outside 50 and left himself no-one to kick to. His disposal was as wayward as eratic as ever, but he did present well and he had a lot of it.

Deledio: Worked hard.

Not a lot to gain from this game for Richmond fans.

And N. Borwn got through the game unscathed which is good to see. But he was well tagged by Henry Slattery.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2006, 07:36:43 AM »
I liked the look of Hughes. Leads well and at least he has the kicking bit right.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2006, 08:42:10 AM »

No Petts ???

The reporters must have been watching a different game going by the posts on OER  :-\.

when i read that i klaughed my ass off! rodan was by far our biggest clanger king, was at his usual zig zab lets run  sideways best and give the ball to a "hot" teamate, his turnovers and blunders cost us dearly as rebounds normally ended as goals. if rodan wants to take my advice, look at the way hyde and raines are composed when they break the lines!!!!

our best on ground was pettifer by a mile!!!!

and as i said b4, pattison was really good, onlt one mistake if iirc,  and hughes ahowed enough.

Thankfully we got through pre-season without any major injuries. The only good thing to come out of today.

Moi

« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2006, 10:08:45 AM »
Richo: Took about 15 marks but most were useless as they were outside 50 and left himself no-one to kick to. His disposal was as wayward as eratic as ever, but he did present well and he had a lot of it.
Is where statistics lie in my opinion - 15 marks sounds great, but his disposal was terrible.  Would have been better passing to somebody else.  Agree with whoever said that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2006, 05:07:22 PM »
Is where statistics lie in my opinion - 15 marks sounds great, but his disposal was terrible.  Would have been better passing to somebody else.  Agree with whoever said that.

Naughty girl. You agreed with a bombers supporter  :nope ;)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »
He's still getting over his disappointment about me not being at last Saturday's game.

Moi

« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »

A spanking is in order lol
But has anyone noticed how well we go when he ain't there - despite whether Julz is watching him or not lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »

A spanking is in order lol
But has anyone noticed how well we go when he ain't there - despite whether Julz is watching him or not lol

lol

It's our midfielders fault; not Richo's IMO. Lazy football. When Richo isn't there our midfielders are forced to pick the best option rather than just go to Richo because he is such a huge presence up forward. IIRC someone on Y&B info mentioned that Wallace said when we go inside 50 we go to Richo 44% of the time but only score 28% of the time from our entries. When Richo isn't there that stat would be more even. We've kicked 12,26,13 and 11 goals in our four preseason games. Now pick the game Richo wasn't playing.

Moi

« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »
It's our midfielders fault; not Richo's IMO. Lazy football. When Richo isn't there our midfielders are forced to pick the best option rather than just go to Richo because he is such a huge presence up forward. IIRC someone on Y&B info mentioned that Wallace said when we go inside 50 we go to Richo 44% of the time but only score 28% of the time from our entries. When Richo isn't there that stat would be more even. We've kicked 12,26,13 and 11 goals in our four preseason games. Now pick the game Richo wasn't playing.
Not saying it's Richo's fault because he's doing what he's supposed to be doing - presenting himself.  But you've mentioned some good stats to back me up i reckon - the game he wasn't playing was the 26.  The fact they have to pick the best option rather than him every time is what we want.  I'm not knocking him (well not much lol), but his disposal was terrible yesterday.