Author Topic: Jack Higgins [merged]  (Read 40309 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Jack Higgins is the Rising Star nominee this week
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
No idea who this Wally Walpamur stuffer is but apparently he deserves the nomination for getting 32 touches against a bunch of blue witches hats.... :spudnikbackflip
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why the Tigers love Jack Higgins (AFLPA)
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »
Why the Tigers love Jack Higgins

By Robert Beaton
aflplayers.com.au
25 July 2018

Jack Higgins knows how to make an impact on those around him.

Be it on or off the field, the Round 18 Rising Star nominee took no time revealing himself to teammates and footy fans alike.

While the majority of first-year players show their personalities slowly in an unfamiliar environment, Higgins was immersed within the Tiger playing group long before he graced the MCG for the first time.

“The first time I met him, we were going on a training camp to Tasmania,” teammate Kane Lambert told AFLPlayers.com.au.

“We picked him up at four o’clock in the morning to go for five days and the first thing he said was that he once faked a sickie to get out of school camp — he absolutely hated camping.

“He had his moments out there and on the third day he started questioning what we were doing, ‘we’re here to play footy so what are we doing this for?’ but he was laughing by the end.

“He was very scared of possums, who come out late at night, which nearly led to the nickname of possum sticking on day one because he was so petrified of them.”

Higgins has already become a fan favourite, with his goal celebrations, post-match interviews and telling teammates jokes at half-time almost catapulting him into cult-hero status.

The 19-year-old is a popular figure among his teammates and Lambert is enjoying having a first-year player be so relaxed immediately.

“It’s been really refreshing. He’s been himself from the start and fitted in really well,” Lambert said.

“He is the same behind closed doors. He doesn’t change anything in front of a camera — that’s just the way he is all the time and that’s why we love him. It’s just Jack Higgins.

“He’s full of energy, can’t sit still and will say a few words and move onto the next thing. I don’t think I’ve seen him not like that.”

You can hear the joy in Lambert’s voice when speaking about Higgins, such is the peculiar character of the young Tiger.

But, on a serious note, Lambert believes Higgins’ football abilities have been overlooked. In his debut season, the former Oakleigh Charger has played 13 games so far and shown great aptitude around goals. And, above all else, he’s bought into the Richmond ethos.

“I don’t think I’ve seen a work rate as high as his from a first-year player,” Lambert said.

“To come out of the TAC Cup system, where it’s predominately about promoting yourself, and to buy into the way we expect him to play and that’s not necessarily him getting the ball but putting himself in positions that benefits the team, he embraces that.

“He knows his time will come and he has a few spurts through the midfield every now and then but he accepts that he predominantly spends his time forward and plays his role.”

As far as quirks and superstitions go, Higgins is particular with his footy gear and considers it almost bad luck if things aren’t placed appropriately, although he’s more relaxed now.

But it’s the things he does around the club that entertain his teammates most and he’s become a shining light in an environment that helps all personalities prosper.

“The things he says, it takes you a few minutes to actually work out and believe what he said,” Lambert added.

“He’s full of laughs. I’ve never seen a first-year player stand up, stop the whole room and make them laugh.

“He has so much confidence in that regard and his best quality is being himself, Jack Higgins. There’s no fuss to him and he doesn’t try to be someone else — that’s why we love him.”

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/why-the-tigers-love-jack-higgins/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Higgins quit school after driving teachers nuts, but he’s a very smart footballer

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
27 July 2018

SEATED at the front of Richmond team meetings this year, Jack Higgins’s mind was starting to stray.

It shouldn’t surprise. Higgins gave Caulfield Grammar the boot after Year 11, classrooms struggling to contain his boundless energy.

One day Higgins crept out of class, printed off about 10 pictures of Caulfield Grammar alumni Chris Judd and stuck them around the school.

But at the Tigers he needed to concentrate. Perhaps the lyrics to the club’s theme song — risking head and shin — played a role in his approach.

“Sometimes my mind does just wander off,” Higgins told the Herald Sun this week.

“So I’ve got to refocus. I sort of just kick my shin. So I sit at the front and I kick my shin if I feel my mind wandering.”

It is a tactic Higgins’ school teachers could’ve done with.

“I wish I’d known that seven years ago — I would’ve given him a kick myself!” Cadell Duke, who taught Higgins in Grade 6 at Malvern Primary School, laughed this week.

“Keeping him in the classroom for more than four seconds after the bell had gone to start recess was a struggle, and getting him back in the classroom was a challenge as well.

“His mind would wander, but he was never destructive. As he jokes about, he’s not the most studious kid in the world — but he was by no means a ratbag.

“The classroom environment is not for everyone, and you have to try your best to make it work for everybody.”

Higgins has grinned that a string of “Fs” in Year 11 helped him make the easy decision to quit school.

“I couldn’t really sit straight and was bored,” he said.

“If I did (Year 12) I’d probably get a bad score, so what’s the point in me going through?”

But when the Tigers drafted the firecracker forward at pick No.17 last year, it was partly because of his football brain.

“He’s got a really strong footy IQ,” Richmond recruiter Matthew Clarke said.

“Jack really knows where the ball’s going. He knows when to get forward, he knows when to get out the back, and to be lateral as well. He’s a very smart player.”

It’s a consistent theme. In Grade 6, Duke said Higgins was “maybe not the sharpest” when it came to punctuation, spelling and grammar. But step outdoors and he would ace any physical test.

“He was an excellent runner, and a real tactician in a race,” Duke said.

“So in a 1500m he knew not to go out and burn. Everything with sport he was incredibly intelligent. And he was always incredibly fit — you’d already see the tone in his arms as a 12-year-old.”

Especially after games, when I’m so hyped up, I don’t even know what the next word I’m saying is, sometimes.

That was Higgins the 12-year-old. Higgins the 13-year-old was completing speed and endurance training with fitness guru Bohdan Babijczuk.

Higgins the teenager then enlisted the help of Oakleigh Under-16 coach Anthony Phillips (father of Collingwood’s Tom) and strength trainer Valeri Stoimenov, who has coached China’s Olympic swimming team.

That posse of professionals helps explain why Higgins said after his second game that he was born to play AFL.

“It’s been a dream ever since I came out of the womb,” he said.

This 177cm dynamo busted his gut to get to Tigerland. Champion Data ranked him No.1 in last year’s draft because he averaged a record 145 SuperCoach points across 33 junior matches.

About 4am on draft day, Higgins woke up to go for one more kick of the footy in Caulfield.

“I’ve watched the vision back a few times of me getting drafted, and you dream about that stuff,” he said.

“I was over the moon. I was so happy for the next two weeks. When I got to the club I’m like, ‘How good is this?’.”

With a teenage support network like that, Higgins always seemed destined to make the grade.

In fact, Higgins had his AFL retirement plans mapped out before he was even recruited.

“I’d love to become an umpire,” he said at last year’s draft camp.

“I reckon it’d be sick behind the whistle. I’d really enjoy it and it gives you another perspective on the game.”

There is a fascination with Higgins and it is easy to see why. He is the boy who speaks as quickly as Usain Bolt runs while smiling as wide as Brad Johnson.

He is the kid who cannot help but incessantly cackle in conversation. The loveable larrikin who had Brownlow winner Dustin Martin in stitches with that bizarre Round 15 halftime address, in just his 10th game.

Higgins said captain Trent Cotchin asked him that night: “Higgo, mate, got any words for us?”

“Everyone just looked at me, and I’m like ‘s---’. So I just said something like really quickly off the top of my head.

“The thing was, it wasn’t even that funny — it was probably that I said it, and I said it so quickly.”

About 200 mates sent Higgins that clip — and he is sick of it.

“I hate the sound of my own voice, so I hate people showing me,” he said.

“I’m like, ‘Mate, I don’t want to see it’ or if people ask me about it and I’m like, ‘I don’t care’.”

But he “enjoys the media stuff”. Remember when Higgins stole the show in a TV interview after his spirited debut?

“To get the win and kick two snags — it was unreal,” he said on the MCG.

Asked a follow-up question about an overzealous goal celebration, Higgins replied at top speed: “It was heat of the moment — I looked like a bit of a tosser”.

Now when Higgins walks down the street he has random people walking up to say the word “snags” to him.

The next week, coach Damien Hardwick copped an abusive message from his son, BJ, for dropping Higgins.

By the time Jonathan Brown finished interviewing Higgins post-game on Fox Footy, the Brisbane Lions champion had one piece of advice for the raw youngster — don’t ever change.

Good news, Browny.

“I’m not going to be someone else because someone else wants me to be,” Higgins said.

“I’m a bit different to the average AFL player, who’s … not clichéd, but I just say the stuff that’s on top of my head.

“Especially after games, when I’m so hyped up. I don’t even know what the next word I’m saying is, sometimes.

“I don’t even think what I say. It sounds pretty stupid, but anyway. We’ve done a bit of media training. But they always say to me to just be yourself.”

In other words, he won’t be straying from his true self.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/jack-higgins-quit-school-after-driving-teachers-nuts-but-hes-a-very-smart-footballer/news-story/fd9cef0469fa70299a958b3a97b06c5c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Higgins [merged]
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:03 PM »
Higgins' star keeps rising

Is Jack Higgins getting enough credit as a NAB AFL Rising Star contender? The Richmond forward seems unlikely to win the award, with Collingwood forward Jaidyn Stephenson, Adelaide defender Tom Doedee and Brisbane half-back Alex Witherden considered the favourites. But Higgins' form as a first-year player in Richmond's formidable line-up should not be overlooked. His brilliantly quick-minded goal last week against Collingwood caught attention, but Higgins is much more than that: he's a powerful runner who has added plenty of drive and class to the Tigers this season. His goal against Geelong – a clean shot from 45 metres off two steps – showed his skill and he finished with 18 disposals (pushing his average to 19 disposals a game the past six weeks).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-03/five-talking-points-richmond-v-geelong

dwaino

« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:53 PM »
Keeps getting better and has definitely earned his spot I think.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:36 AM »
Going really well

But...

Really needs to tidy his set shot goal kicking. Currently, a major weakness
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:29:16 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2018, 06:05:43 AM »
Goomg really well

But...

Really needs to tidy his set shot goal kicking. Currently, a major weakness

Yup looks like he gets under it too like Bolton.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »
He has been very good the last month. Coming along nicely.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
Talented young Richmond midfielder/small forward Jack Higgins surely now must be in contention for the AFL’s Rising Star award.

• He’s played 15 games for the reigning premiers, who are on top of the ladder.
• He’s averaging 16.1 disposals per game.
• He’s kicked a total of 12 goals, including the outstanding, red-hot favourite for Goal of the Year against Collingwood in Round 19.
• He’s ranked second among Rising Star contenders for score involvements per game.
• He’s ranked third among Rising Star contenders for contested possessions per game.
• He’s ranked third among Rising Star contenders for tackles inside 50.
• He’s ranked fourth among Rising Star contenders for goal assists.
• He’s ranked fourth among Rising Star contenders for stoppage clearances.

Higgins again was among Richmond’s best, in last Friday night’s victory over Geelong. He finished the match with 18 disposals, including 13 contested possessions, four clearances, three inside-50s, one goal and five score involvements.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-08-06/higgins-a-serious-rising-star-contender

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ...there's such a thing as the best handball of the year ...

THEN ... it was Higgins' awkward, bouncing one to Riewoldt last week, which resulted in his 10th goal. He just gets it, Higgins. Gets the theatre, the naughtiness, the unconventional, the moment. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-17/sliding-doors-round-22

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
20 possies and a goal by a first year player in his first final. Great game from Higgo tonight especially after half-time. A natural footballer  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2018, 10:50:10 PM »
20 possies and a goal by a first year player in his first final. Great game from Higgo tonight especially after half-time. A natural footballer  :clapping.

Occasion did not get to him at all. Threw his body at everything and very clean.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »
Has x factor this kid and made for finals.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2018, 11:49:57 PM »
Loved his pressure work tonight. A couple of great smothers really stopped the Hawks.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2018, 12:27:35 AM »
One of his best games for the club came in his first final. Bravo! :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.