Author Topic: Jack Higgins [merged]  (Read 40232 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Higgins to debut [merged]
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
4. Jack in the box

Debutant Jack Higgins brought the Richmond faithful to their feet with an electric first goal in the second term. Standing 177cm, Higgins marked before trailing Hawthorn ruckman Ben McEvoy and snapped truly with his first touch in his career. He then took off on a run of celebration in front of the Richmond members in the Olympic Stand. Both arms raised, he could've been mistaken for the pose of club champion Kevin Bartlett's statue outside the MCG. He then mirrored great Cristiano Ronaldo with a mid-air soccer in the third term and saluting to the Ponsford Stand. Higgins made up an inexperienced small forward trio with Dan Butler (25 games) and Jason Castagna (33 games) and will give coach Damien Hardwick a headache when Daniel Rioli (43 games) is ready to return.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-08/five-talking-points-richmond-v-hawthorn

-------------------------------

The performance of debutant Jack Higgins is sure to give Hardwick a selection headache, after two goals operating in a small forward trio alongside Dan Butler and Jason Castagna, with Dan Rioli closing in on a return.

"He's still learning the way we play but he looks an AFL player with his decision making, his ability to create contest," Hardwick said.

"My bloody recruiters keep drafting them and they're good players so I keep playing them.

"Jack will move eventually into the midfield once he develops his tank and his style of play."

AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »
Video game inspires Tiger debutant's genius

Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
Apr 8, 2018 7:23PM

A FIFA game with friends and watching Cristiano Ronaldo inspired debutant Jack Higgins' mid-air soccer goal in Richmond's win over Hawthorn on Sunday.

The livewire became an instant fan-favourite at the MCG, kicking two goals that came with two massive celebrations as he was swamped by teammates.

After he joined the first kick, first goal club, Higgins had the soccer video game and Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo to thank for a quick-thinking mid-air effort in the third term. 

"I play a lot of FIFA with my mates, (I) kicked a nice goal during the week when I was playing, and it sort of came in the moment and I kicked it," Higgins said post-game.

"I just got my boot on it and luckily enough it went in, I hit it so sweet, it was unreal."

Higgins quit school last year to focus all his efforts on being drafted, and four months after achieving the first step, he found himself breaking into a premiership team after two matches.

"It was absolutely unreal. When I walked out there for the first time I was getting shakes and stuff like that," he said. 

"I missed a few set shots when I was warming up but when you get your first touch, you're all good."

The first touch was more than good. Higgins, the second shortest player on the ground at 177cm, marked in front of Hawthorn ruckman Ben McEvoy before snapping quickly.

"I heard it was touched, no one else heard it was touched and then everyone stopped still and I just snapped it around my body."

"The boys got around me which was an unreal moment, I'll never forget it.

"I saw a few blokes (in the crowd) I knew which is always handy and they were getting around me so it gave me an extra leg."

And while many think Melbourne's traffic is bad, try being a 19-year-old draftee summoned back to the football club immediately by your senior coach in peak hour.

That's what Higgins experienced on Wednesday night, the hour-long journey from Caulfield to Punt Road worth it, even after coach Damien Hardwick tried to delay the news. 

"I was driving away and then one of the ticket ladies said 'Dimma' (Hardwick) wants to see you," Higgins said.

"I sort of had a bit of an idea and then I drove back all the way into the club, was stuck in traffic for about 45 minutes, an hour, just getting mad as, blasting the tunes.

"Then I got to the club and Dimma's like 'Oh, I can't really see you getting a spot this week' and then he just sort of screwed me around and then he's like 'Nah mate you're playing this week' and I was over the moon. 

"I had the biggest strut going down Punt Road."

Higgins' youthful exuberance was on show in the rooms after the Tigers' win, doused in Gatorade by teammates. 

He'll be waiting by the phone for the next call from Hardwick ahead of the Tigers' clash with Brisbane on Saturday.

With premiership trio Nathan Broad, Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy in line to return, Higgins is looking to lock down a spot in a forward line alongside Jason Castagna and Dan Butler.

Longer term, he will have to contend with Daniel Rioli returning from ankle surgery and the dropped Shai Bolton waiting in the wings.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-08/video-game-inspires-tiger-debutants-genius-higgins

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
Smart player

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2018, 10:42:59 PM »
Got himself a cuppla snags he did.... :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »
nice kid too, will be a champ of the rfc  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 12:49:18 AM »
New Jack on the block.
Really like the look of this young man, gotta feelin he's gonna do some real nice things down at Tigerland. :thumbsup
Good luck forcin him out of the side.
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 03:32:35 AM »
Jack Higgins stamps himself as new Richmond cult hero in 13-point win against Hawthorn

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
April 9, 2018

JACK Higgins had only been at Richmond a number of weeks when Justin Leppitsch tagged him as one to watch.

“He’s got high energy, he’s a real busy bee,” said Tigers assistant Leppitsch, an expert on energiser bunnies after a decade with Jason Akermanis.

Don’t look now, but Higgins might still be running around the MCG celebrating.

Why not, either, after he announced himself as both a rampant over-celebrator and a budding star to watch in the same game.

We had gone into the contest wondering who might cause more damage.

Death by a thousand cuts through Tom Mitchell, or the blunt force trauma caused by Dustin Martin’s forward sorties?

Even after a starring performance in the VFL last week, no one expected much out of first-gamer Higgins, Richmond’s No. 19 pick in last year’s draft.

But you get the feeling this kid just might not be denied.

Both of his goals were right out of the top drawer, only eclipsed by his emphatic and exuberant celebrations.

First he soared to mark an incoming ball acrobatically, played on with a quick snap, then took off on a boundary-line victory lap.

Then as Richmond pushed hard in the third term for no reward, unable to break Hawthorn, the question was whether the Hawks had another final surge.

As the ball tumbled into the Richmond goalsquare, Higgins darted in between Blake Hardwick and James Frawley and threw his boot at the ball.

Somehow his audacious checkside soccer kick not only made contact, it split the sticks and Richmond was 33 points to the good.

This time his teammates gang-tackled him before he took off on another celebratory surge.

It wasn’t even the best soccer kick of the season after Luke Parker’s Perth stunner, with Dan Butler’s goalsquare sideheeled major another late highlight.

Not since Kevin Bartlett carried on like a pork chop after his goal heroics have we seen the likes of it.

The Tigers have a new cult hero.

He joked afterwards that after watching clips of Ronaldo on his FIFA computer game he had been able to replicate some of those heroics.

“I play a lot of FIFA and kicked a couple of nice goals this week and when I kicked it I thought about that.

“When I walked out there for the first time I was getting shakes.

“I got that boot in and I hit it so sweet, it was unreal.

“(The first goal) Dusty kicked it in and I heard it was touched and snapped it around my body and the boys got around me, it was an unreal moment. I will never forget it.”

It capped a huge week after he was driving home to Caulfield on Wednesday before being called back to Punt Rd and told coach Damien Hardwick wanted to talk to him.

“I was stuck in traffic for about 45 minutes or an hour, getting mad as, blasting the tunes.

“And I got the club and Dimma said I can’t see you getting a spot this week, then he said I was playing and it was unreal.

“I had the biggest strut walking down Punt Rd.”

Richmond might have some pep in its step, too, after a mature performance in beating Hawthorn for the fifth time in eight contests.

Even when the Hawks tried to roar home with a flurry of late goals, the Tigers took enough time off the clock to ice the win.

Hawthorn’s Mitchell was superb again with 42 possessions and could easily add to his Brownlow tally.

The Tigers ran several players with him including Jack Graham but preferred to cut off Hawthorn around him.

It worked, especially as Alex Rance and David Astbury were mostly impassable across half-back.

Of course, the ducking controversy proved a flashpoint, as Paul Puopolo’s arm shrugging and knee dropping won two contentious free kicks.

But every time Hawthorn pushed within reach another premiership star bobbed up, with Jack Riewoldt’s fourth goal the sealer.

Cyril Rioli also did his bit for the low-possession, high-impact lobby by picking the pocket of two Tigers to set up early goals.

Hawthorn kicked five of the final six goals, but a Richmond team which might have once wilted instead steadied to show it is made of sterner stuff.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/jack-higgins-stamps-himself-as-new-richmond-cult-hero-in-13point-win-against-hawthorn/news-story/f907930479476459f48a70f9402903ac
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:54:58 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Higgins [merged]
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
Cotch on the ABC talking about Higgins:

“The goals are the end result of what he does before that,” Cotchin told ‘ABC AFL Grandstand’ in the Richmond rooms post-match.

“His work ethic is elite for a young kid coming in, and probably the reason he got his opportunity today.

“He’s one of those kids that just loves the game.

“He told me he was here before I got here, and I got here pretty early. And he told me he slept here.

“So that’s the kind of kid he is . . . he was born ready to play AFL.

“We’re looking forward to seeing him grow as the year goes on.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-04-10/higgins-reaps-rewards-of-hard-work

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »
Let's hope doesn't turn out to be the type of cult hero that S Jurica, J Plapp and M McGrath were...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »
Reminds me of Rioli, great attitude and a good work ethic.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »
Reminds me of Rioli, great attitude and a good work ethic.
:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2018, 10:48:25 PM »
Boomer Higgins  :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »

Please NO  :banghead

We don't need a Boomer Harvey type

Selfish snippers are not required  >:(

Very happy with Jack the "Snagman" Higgins
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »

Please NO  :banghead

We don't need a Boomer Harvey type

Selfish snippers are not required  >:(

Very happy with Jack the "Snagman" Higgins

“Snagman”  :lol :lol :lol
Sounds like some kind of Bunnings Groupie  :lol

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
We could do with a few more selfish players, especially in front of goal..... :shh

- Gustav Mahler