Author Topic: Ben Miller - upgraded to our senior list [updated]  (Read 39330 times)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Pick 63: Ben Miller
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
Have a look at his last highlight in the video on the RFC website.

Playing as a defender. Long penetrating kick from about 20m in front of goal out to team mate in the open on the back flank/defensive wing.

This guy is a bit of a project, but I don't think it will take him long to settle into being an AFL level player.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
Have a look at his last highlight in the video on the RFC website.

Playing as a defender. Long penetrating kick from about 20m in front of goal out to team mate in the open on the back flank/defensive wing.

This guy is a bit of a project, but I don't think it will take him long to settle into being an AFL level player.

That was a beautiful kick.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
To read his reviews he's the next Buddy. So why did he go so late? There must be something. Maybe he's hopeless with body on body contests? Another Griffs big guy big kick big mark just not in a pack.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »
To read his reviews he's the next Buddy. So why did he go so late? There must be something. Maybe he's hopeless with body on body contests? Another Griffs big guy big kick big mark just not in a pack.

Have you seen the highlights on the RFC website? Couple of your concerns are addressed there. Takes a few contested marks, one body on body effort. I know it is only underage footy, but he does do those types of things.

The big knock on him at the moment is that he has poor endurance. But the main reason I think he slid to us is that I think clubs were very wary of drafting ruckman/forward type players, takes Hayes for instance.

I don't think Miller will be a superstar, but he is athletic enough (great agility) to be a good role player/backup in our team.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 05:25:56 AM »
Pre-draft article on Miller:

-------------------------------------------

AFL Draft Profile: Ben Miller

Lenny Fogliani
footyprophet.com
27 October 2017

Club: Western Australia/Subiaco/Railways (Kalgoorlie)

Height: 196cm

Weight: 98kg

Position: Ruckman

Draft Range: 2nd to 3rd round selection

IN SHORT

Determined
    – Travelled to Perth from Kalgoorlie on a weekly basis to play football

Explosive Athlete
    – Ranked elite in the Goalkicking test, the Agility test and the 20m sprint

Round 1 Starter
    – Played senior football since the age of 15, holding him in good stead

AFL U18 CHAMPIONSHIPS STATISTICS

2017 WAFL COLTS STATISTICS

ABOUT

The budding Kalgoorlie star is one of the most explosive key position prospects in this year’s AFL Draft.

He started playing senior football at the age of 15 for his Kalgoorlie team, Railways FC – a club that has produced many outstanding football players, including Dean Kemp, Steve Marsh and Jim Gosnell.

He first came across recruiters’ minds when he was selected in the WA State U16s Academy in 2015. He further enhanced his reputation when he made his debut for the Subiaco Colts in round one of the 2016 season, against Peel Thunder, when he won a game-high 19 possessions. He played a further three games for the Lions and averaged 18 hit-outs, including a dominant 36-hitout performance against East Perth in round 11.

But 2017 was when he left his mark on recruiters’ minds. By the first six rounds of the competition, Miller was sitting fourth in the WAFL Colts Coaches Award after dominant outings against Perth in round 2 (16 possessions, 30 hit-outs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 inside 50s and a goal), West Perth in round 3 (11 possessions, 29 hit-outs, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s and a goal), and Claremont in round 6 (17 possessions, 17 hit-outs, 4 marks, 3 inside 50s, 2 tackles and 2 goals).

Because of his sublime performances, he was selected in the WA U18s State Academy and he did not disappoint. In the four games, he won the most hit-outs for WA (72), laid the fourth most tackles (16), won the fifth most clearances (8 ), ranked seventh for contested possessions (22), and was in the top twelve for total possessions (42).

His best game came against Vic Metro in round two, when he accumulated 15 possessions (seven contested), won a game-high 28 hit-outs, laid five tackles, won three clearances and kicked a goal. His direct opponents Tristan Xerri and Sam Hayes could only register 26 possessions, 25 hit-outs and a goal between them, such was their inability to negate Miller’s influence.

He also produced solid outings against the Allies (11 possessions – eight contested – 12 hit-outs, five tackles, four inside 50s, three marks, and three clearances), and Vic Country (12 possessions, 18 hit-outs, four tackles, three marks and two clearances).

In his comeback game for the Subiaco Colts in Naidoc Round, he was clearly best afield against Perth with 18 possessions, 44 hit-outs, seven marks, three inside 50s, two tackles and a goal.

He only played another two games for the Lions, against Swan Districts in round 20 (13 possessions and five marks – playing as a key defender) and East Perth in round 23 (16 possessions, 20 hit-outs, two marks, two inside 50s and a goal), as he had to juggle his school commitments back home in Kalgoorlie.

For our interview with Ben, click here.

WHY PICK HIM?

For a player of 196 centimetres, Miller is explosive, agile, clean and consistent – traits that make him such a tantalising prospect.

At the AFL National Combine, he came first in the Goalkicking test (30/30), the Agility test (8.10 seconds), and came third in the 20-metre sprint (2.91 seconds).

At this year’s AFL National U18 Championships, Miller recorded 72 hit-outs, the third most by any ruckman in the competition, just behind Allies’ Brayden Crossley (83 hit-outs), and South Australia’s Callum Coleman-Jones (78). While he only played nine games in the WAFL Colts, he recorded the ninth most hit-outs (192 at an average of 21 per game), largely due to his imposing nature.

Miller has also been playing senior football since the age of 15 for his Kalgoorlie team, Railways FC, hence he is ready to match it with the ruckmen in the AFL from round one.

THE QUESTION MARKS?

His big question mark is his size. He only stands at 196 centimetres, while most true ruckmen at AFL level are over 200cm. To combat this, Miller has some awesome athletic traits. He has also demonstrated his versatility by playing as a key forward, and as a key defender for Subiaco throughout 2017.

THE WRAP

For any clubs looking out for a key position prospect, and it would be hard to imagine any clubs that aren’t Miller is well worth looking at.

Because he has been playing senior football since the age of 15, Miller could slot into a club’s best 22 after a strong pre-season such is his maturity, ability and determination.

For his size, he boasts explosive athleticism and beautiful skills, making him a tantalising prospect at this year’s Draft.

http://footyprophet.com/afl-draft-profile-ben-miller/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 05:28:05 AM »
Country footy gives Kalgoorlie’s Ben Miller good grounding ahead of AFL draft

Shayne Hope
West Australian
6 October 2017

Teenage draft prospect Ben Miller hopes the rough-and-tumble nature of senior country football has given him a solid grounding for the step up to AFL level, if he is selected in next month’s national draft.

Miller split his time between the ruck and forward line during four games for WA at this year’s national under-18 championships, impressing scouts with his consistency, agility and clean hands.

The product of Subiaco’s country zone, originally from Kalgoorlie club Railways, also attracted attention with his imposing figure.

Miller put a strong case to talent scouts at the national draft combine in Melbourne this week as one of just four players to produce an unblemished score of 30 out of 30 in the goal-kicking test.

South Australian Jordan Houlahan and Victorian duo Angus Schumacher and Jackson Ross were the others.

Miller was also a top performer in the agility test and 20m sprint.

He shared the agility test honours with Victorian Kane Farrell by completing the course in 8.10sec., and ran 2.91sec. over 20m to finish marginally behind overall leader Victorian Jack Petruccelle (2.87).

He checked into the draft combine at 196cm and 98kg after growing about 3cm in the past five months.

“I’d like to hope I’m still growing. It would be good,” Miller said.

“I’m hoping to get a little bit bigger, but if I don’t, it’s no biggy.

“I’m at a pretty good size now.”

Miller played nine colts games for Subiaco this season, travelling to Perth from Kalgoorlie while coping with his Year 12 studies.

He was introduced to senior football in the Goldfields as a 15-year-old.

“It was a good experience to play against bigger bodies,” Miller said.

“The coach called me up and asked if I wanted to play league, and I was like, ‘yeah, absolutely’.

“I was nervous as before the game but the adrenaline kicked in.

“It was our derby round and we got the win against Kangas.

“I played in the ruck and they had some massive boys.

“They were very strong.”

Miller spent time in the WA under-18 set-up under the tutelage of West Coast premiership ruckman Mark Seaby, who aided the youngster’s ruck craft and game sense.

“He took the bigger boys and worked with me non-stop at training,” Miller said.

“He helped me with how to position myself on the oval and how to use my body against opponents in different situations, as well as where to hit the ball and follow-ups.”

Miller got a small taste of the big time when he featured in the under-18 All-Stars match on grand final day. It was the first time he had been to the MCG.

“It was so good to play on the G,” Miller said.

“The boys stuck around to watch the grand final.

“It was just ridiculous. I don’t know how the players do it with all the fans screaming and yelling, but obviously that’s the level you’ve got to get to and keep composed.

“It was a wicked atmosphere.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/country-footy-gives-kalgoorlies-ben-miller-good-grounding-ahead-of-afl-draft-ng-b88620565z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
AFL Draft 2017: WA’s fly-in, fly-out prospect Ben Miller ready to take chance

Braden Quartermaine,
PerthNow
19 November 2017

YOU’VE heard of fly-in, fly-out workers. Now meet WA’s FIFO footballer.

It’s been a case of planes, trains and automobiles for Kalgoorlie teenager Ben Miller this season, as he’s successfully juggled his Year 12 commitments in his hometown with playing footy in Perth.

The talented key position prospect has lost count of the number of times he’s travelled to Perth for training sessions and games, as he combined playing for the Subiaco colts and WA’s under-18 team with league footy in the Goldfields for Railways.

All the effort will be worth it if Miller realises his dream of being drafted into the AFL in either Friday’s national draft or the rookie draft to follow.

Unsure how the footy season would pan out, the 18-year-old opted to remain at school in Kalgoorlie rather than move to Perth.

He ended up spending a six-week stint in the city as he impressed, playing every game for WA in the under-18 championships before earning an invitation to the national draft combine.

Subiaco Football Club became a temporary classroom for the versatile tall during the middle part of the season.

“The option was there to move down to Perth, but I felt like I’m already half-way through my schooling, I may as well stick out the other half and not just put half of it to waste,” Miller said.

“They just sent through everything I needed via a school app and I just sat in the Subiaco office with one of the development coaches in there, Michael Farmer. I did schoolwork throughout the day and then trained in the afternoon.”

Miller was thrilled with what he has achieved this season to jump on to the draft radar but said he wasn’t putting any pressure on himself. “To be honest I’m probably pretty chilled out about it. But as the day gets closer, I’ll probably get a bit more nervous,” he said.

“You obviously don’t want to get ahead of yourself.”

The athletic big man shone at last month’s draft combine, excelling in the agility test, the 20m sprint and the goal-kicking test.

Miller has spent much of his time rucking, but at 196cm looms as a key position option at either end of the ground at the next level.

“I’d like to think I’m still growing. It’s probably not the biggest size to be a ruckman at AFL level but I’m pretty comfortable with the size I’m at now,” he said.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl-draft/afl-draft-2017-was-fly-in-fly-out-prospect-ben-miller-ready-to-take-chance-ng-b88662332z

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
Ben Miller has the attributes to be a Full Forward. He is quick, big size for a full forward, and big enough weight wise. Runs well,
from the highlights he's a good lead to mark player, he runs at the footy with intent and is also a good contested mark. I have
really high hopes for him.

Looking at our draft and placing specific positions on players, Miller for a Full Forward spot, which would mean Jack Riewoldt could
hold down CHF and continue to roam around like he already does, Noah Balta to be developed as Key Defender, Callum Coleman-Jones
to be developed as Ruck/Forward, Naish and Higgins well they will find themselves hanging around as midfielders and wings etc.
If Miller comes good for us it would be the best result for us. We need a key forward to takeover from Jack at some point.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
 Could play half forward too from the reviews. I still don't get quote why he went so low. It may be as has been said his endurance which lead to his low possession tallies.

tony_montana

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »
Reading the reviews and watching the highlights, there has to be a catch as to why he went so low? The only blemish they say is he is small for a ruckman in the afl, but there is conjecture that he is in fact 200cm now? Regardless he looks an exciting prospect, he bloody looks like a jet midfielder bursting away from packs in those highlights

Sounds like the perfect prototype of a fwd/relief ruck for nankervis.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »

Hipwood is the next Buddy..... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »
2.91 in the agility test is moving for a 196cm lad
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
Everyone raved about McBean's agilty for his size too when we first drafted him...... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
2.91 in the agility test is moving for a 196cm lad
The 2.91 was the 20m sprint which is in the top echelon for his size. His agility of 8.10sec is incredibly nimble for that size too, even more impressive than his straight line speed.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »
Everyone raved about McBean's agilty for his size too when we first drafted him...... :shh

Maybe bc he was about 65kg. Not sure McBean was that quick anyhow.