Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 110865 times)

Offline PremiershipClock

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
Not sure theres a long term spot for him as a permanent defender. Personally prefer Stack and what i have seen of Eggmolesse - Smith i think he will be better.

Next yr the backline will have the 4 stalwarts in Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin. Most likely like it or not having just won an A/A jumper Houli will be the rebounding small. Theres just one spot and id say the incumbent Broad has first dibs on it.
atm the spot is between a shedload of Smaller types and a few Mediums.

Those others  in contention if they are still here are.

Stack, Baker, Ellis, Short,DES,  All smalls

Broad a tall defender and Pickett, Menadue, Markov all mediums.

Imo while he has  a real go i dont think he has enough polish is a bit on the slow side and is just too small to play as a defender.
 A lot of these blokes will have to learn to play other roles to warrant games and if they cant will have to be delisted or traded out.

I am all in on DES - Think he'll be a player

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2019, 04:27:48 PM »
Liam's dream: From Pingaring, WA to a prelim in front of 95,000

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
Sep 18, 2019

LIAM Baker has found his feet in Richmond's best 22, and the young Tiger has a string of sliding doors moments to thank for a mid-season shift to the backline that made it happen.

The 21-year-old, who was rookied as a small forward/midfielder at the end of 2017, found himself in the VFL after the bye when a run of quiet games coincided with a host of experienced heads overcoming injuries.

But it took a mid-game injury to a VFL teammate for coach Craig McRae to send Baker to defence and it's a position that has proved more natural than anyone expected. 

"It's surprised me a bit," Baker told AFL.com.au this week.

"'Dimma' [Damien Hardwick] mentioned it and then I was excited to do it but I didn't really know how it was going to happen.

"It worked out well, they liked what they saw and I've been in as a defender since and getting more comfortable as the weeks go by.

"This is probably the most I've enjoyed and the most comfortable I've felt at AFL level."

The move suited Baker's game so well, he was recalled to the AFL team in round 18 as a defender.

Since then, he's been learning from the vocal and experienced Tigers' tight-knit backline group who "did half the job" for him when he first came in.

"Dimma's real big on changing things up and playing multiple roles," Baker said. 

"He sees that as my strength, that I can do different roles and hopefully down the track I can be like a Shane Edwards-type where I can go everywhere.

"You can see a lot from back there. I've never had so much joy over watching the other forwards kick goals.

"It's amazing how your mindset changes. Even when I was kicking them, I wasn't enjoying them as much as I am watching the other boys do it."

Such is the optimism with Baker's newfound versatility, he signed a two-year contract extension last month in a move that demonstrated commitment runs both ways.

The Tigers like what they see with the young speedster, and in turn, Baker is just as happy to stay despite continuing pangs to return to his native Western Australia. 

He misses "home home"; as in not just WA, but his family wheat and sheep farm in Pingaring, three and a half hours outside Perth, where he spends most of his holidays. 

"As I get older, the more I'm missing it," he said.

"But it is what it is, I always wanted to play footy in Melbourne and I've got to take that opportunity while I can."

That opportunity will likely afford him the biggest audience he's ever played in front of this Friday night when the Tigers take on Geelong in the preliminary final.

It's a long way from where he was 12 months ago when he didn't figure in September at all and missed one of the Tigers' two VFL finals because of suspension. 

"I was a bit spewing about the week off because I just wanted to get into it," he said.

"It's such an exciting time of the year and we'll prepare the way we always do and hopefully the crowd get behind us and it should be an exciting night."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-17/liams-dream-from-pingaring-wa-to-a-prelim-in-front-of-95000

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2019, 02:51:02 AM »
The Tiger cub who ‘can’t stop smiling’

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
20 September 2019

Liam Baker grabbed a dish cloth and started scrubbing.

But the footballer with clean hands on the field struggled to perform at the sink.

With clean-freak housemate Jayden Short observing, Baker was deemed unfit to wash the dishes.

“He runs a tight ship with keeping the house clean, which I was bad at — but I’m getting better,” Baker said.

“What was messy? Everything! I was a grub, and I probably would still be if it wasn’t for Shorty.”

The Northcote property has suddenly become a crowded house. Six weeks ago premiership forward Dan Butler and his girlfriend, Sarah, moved in.

Does Baker, 21, have a girlfriend?

“I’m single mate — put that one in there as well,” he said.

The cramped abode is a far cry from the 10,000 acres Baker grew up on at the family’s wheat and sheep farm in Pingaring.

The town lies about 50km north of Lake Grace, which Nat Fyfe single-handedly put on the map.

Baker is the small boy from the tiniest of towns, with Pingaring’s population listed at 76 people (15 families) in the 2016 census.

Baker misses the farm “big time”. He wants to return after footy.

With Baker’s Tigers polo at home, he looked more like the kids selling records rather than a bloke preparing to play in front of 95,000 in tonight’s preliminary final.

So, who is this little punk that’s muscled in on the best team’s best 22?

“He’s just a tip-rat,” teammate Shane Edwards said.

“You can just tell by his haircut — you don’t know what’s going on or what he thinks. He’s just a different kind of person.”

If you wander past Baker’s cluttered bedroom and into the courtyard you’ll find the makeshift defender’s makeshift barber shop.

Every now and then Baker takes a pair of cordless clippers outside and tidies up his mini-mullet.

“I do it myself and what I think looks good, no one else thinks looks good,” Baker said.

“I’ve had it for about three years now. I don’t grow it too long, I just sort of play around with it.

“I had it for a bit at school, but not for too long. I didn’t get away with it.”

Baker’s school fight to keep his flap of hair goes to the heart of his football story.

It hasn’t come easy, and it’s not hard to see why.

At just 173cm Baker looks up to almost every player in the AFL.

Playing as a forward alongside Liam Ryan in Subiaco’s 2017 grand final side, he was snapped up by the Tigers in the 2018 rookie draft and then in a shock Round 18 move this year was sent to the Tigers backline.

“I never really thought I was a good defender, but it came naturally reading the ball and trying to be physical with my opponent first,” Baker said.

Edwards reckons it was a “no-brainer”.

“He’s so good at ground balls and so good below his knees and really courageous in the air,” Edwards said.

“It just seems like a match made in heaven.”

So, which small forwards has Baker played on?

“I can’t even name them,” he said.

“You play on five or six blokes and I often get a resting midfielder.”

He’s right.

Baker spent 45 minutes on West Coast’s Jack Petruccelle in Round 22, collecting nine disposals to the Eagle speedster’s three touches and no goals, in the only lengthy duel of his defensive career.

Baker might be behind the ball, but he is more of a starter than a stopper.

He is there to rebound and create, fitting into Richmond’s aggressive back six.

Forward pressure was the hallmark of the 2017 flag but coach Damien Hardwick’s hopes are now built around ball movement from the back.

Baker is averaging 16 disposals, seven intercept possessions and a healthy three score involvements as a backman.

In that time he has endeared himself to Tiger fans.

Remember in Round 23 when he stood under a hospital handpass from Bachar Houli and was hurtled into the MCG turf by Dayne Zorko?

Baker was close to crying on the inside, but got up laughing.

“I sort of like getting a nice hit like that,” he said.

“As long as it doesn’t hurt too much, which it did a bit but I pretended it didn’t — I didn’t want Zorko to think I was in pain.”

Inside the Tigers and he’s as popular as prawns at a buffet.

“He’s just a funny guy,” Edwards said.

“He’s smiling non-stop, he’s always got some cheeky look on his face. You don’t know if it’s guilt or he’s gotten up to something just before you’ve seen him.

“He brightens the place up so much. He walks into a room and all of a sudden everyone’s either laughing or they’re excited that he’s in there.”

Captain Trent Cotchin said: “For a little, little man he’s got a big heart”.

Coach Damien Hardwick penned Baker a letter for his first game, in a week where he gave every player a vinyl record.

“Mine was by Eminem,” Baker said, with Hardwick feeling that if Baker had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything he ever wanted, he would capture it, and not let it slip.

“It was a reference to the way he sees me, which was pretty good,” Baker said.

“I’ve still got that stashed away and I’ll have that forever.

“It’s in my room. I’ll get it back home to Mum and Dad’s place one day so I don’t lose it.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-defender-liam-bakers-journey-from-country-wa-to-the-bigtime/news-story/e4c3f74590754a6e9561063c730bd4be

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2019, 01:58:59 AM »
Star!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2019, 02:01:55 AM »
Very good second half....and by jingo it needed to be.. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2019, 02:07:01 AM »
He's a very good player, and for a guy who has played 5-10 games in our backline even more so.

Effort and balls in spades.

Yeah he was out marked by Henderson etc but hey let's not let something like height get in the way of a good whipping...

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2019, 02:38:29 AM »
Was very good even though Geelong tried to exploit his size which worked for much of the game.

But credit to him baker don’t drop his head but continued to fight and attack all game.

I’d rather see him play on a wing or half forward than off the backline.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2019, 05:58:20 AM »
Liam Baker – 6

Buzzed around in the defensive half of the ground and split the honours with Gryan Miers in an engrossing individual battle. Won some important contests and provided vital support to his key defenders.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-20/every-tiger-rated-from-the-preliminary-final

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »
Love this kids. Always tries and never gives up

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2019, 07:06:16 AM »

Liam Baker – 6

Was busy at half-back and clean with most of his 12 disposals. Spent time on speedster Brent Daniels and even had moments on Toby Greene. Helped supply plenty of overlap run.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-28/player-ratings-richmond

LIAM BAKER 5

Baked a couple of GWS opponents with his speed off half-back. Didn’t have huge disposal numbers, but played his role.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-player-ratings-dustin-martin-and-bachar-houli-shine-toby-green-phil-davis-flop/news-story/3b13f40fe020027c0e71ae275f356ff2

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
Tuff as nails growed in that role what a story missed out on the draft from rookie to a flag.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2019, 10:28:02 AM »
Our rookie drafting has been extraordinary when you look at who we have picked up.

I love this kid and have backed him all along. He's one tough MF.

Initially preferred him as a forward but he's improving really well as a defender and really gives us a bit of a competitive edge down there. I suspect he might have already surpassed Shorty as a defender (who should be looking over his shoulder @ Stack / Pickett etc)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
Tiger's isolation easy in the most isolated part of Australia

Michael Gleeson
The Age
5 April 2020

For Liam Baker, self-isolating is easy. The Richmond defender has spent a lifetime knowing nothing else.

When you come from the one of the most isolated places in Australia, being isolated is a way of life not an incursion.

Baker comes from Pingaring, a pinprick on the map in southern Western Australia. It sits in the middle of an empty square of flat dry farmland between Perth and Esperance in two corners and Albany and Kalgoorlie in the other two.

No one just happens through Pingaring, you have to want to go there. It is barely big enough to be a town. It's just a general store, a post office and a supply shop or two for the farmers.

The region’s claim to fame, other now than Baker, is that Nat Fyfe lived in nearby Lake Grace. That’s about an hour's drive away, give or take.

"We are in the middle of WA. There’s not much here," Baker said.

"I couldn’t tell you how many people live here. Wouldn't be a hundred. I think you can count the families on one hand.

"On the Sunday morning we were told footy was off and on that arvo I was on a flight back. I don't have too many family ties to Melbourne, so it was much easier to be home.

"I am used to isolation. It's just the family here, my mum and dad. One of my sisters is in Perth and the other one is about to have a baby. She lives on a farm about an hour away."

The family has 10,000 acres running sheep and wheat. How many sheep?

"I couldn’t tell you. It used to be four or five thousand, I'm not sure how many now," Baker said.

"I have always loved the sheep work. As a kid that was always my favourite, more than the wheat."

Baker blends his days now between helping his dad on the farm, ripping around on quad bikes and the tractors working with the sheep, and doing his footy training.

He has borrowed weights from the local footy club and set up a gym in the shearing shed. A barbell hangs from a forklift, dumbells sit below the shearing machine next to the sheep chutes.

The running is the hard bit. The tracks are dry and hard; grass is just a Punt Road memory.

"It's pretty hard on the body but it's better than nothing," he said.

"It's dry and hot so the running is hard.

"It's what I did in the off season to keep fit when I came home and I came back in good shape from that, so it is keeping me fit."

The family barely needs to go into town, so isolation restrictions don't really apply. The alternative was staying in Melbourne and getting cabin fever in the Northcote house he shares with Jayden Short.

"I love it out here," he said.

"I have a lot better situation than other people, so I can't complain."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-s-isolation-easy-in-the-most-isolated-part-of-australia-20200405-p54h9h.html

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »
Watching last years GF, he was pretty influential and in my mind and underrated by commentators etc, but saying “with just 12 disposals...”

Any comments?

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2020, 03:20:18 PM »
Liam was showing signs of going to another level through the preseason and then against Carlton. Cannot knock his attack on the ball and he created a number of chances in round 1.

Looking the goods