Author Topic: How many times have you watched the glorious Grand final victory ??  (Read 9830 times)

dwaino

Re: How many times have you watched the glorious Grand final victory ??
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:47 AM »
Watched it again last night  :thumbsup.

Aside from the Betts one, I still can't see where all the Adelaide whinging about the umps comes from. Not the umps or our fault that Crow players kept stupidly scragging us and grabbing fists full of jumper  ::). Watching it again the umps were very consistent on that, plus high on or over the shoulder tackles and deliberate out of bounds. The game was well umpired IMO as they let the game flow. Adelaide just couldn't handle our pressure and we got into the heads which saw them made more and more brainfades as the game went on.

When I watched it again most recently it was probably with the clearest head of any time I had watched it as it had been a month at least since the previous time. The non-call on Grimes against Betts was the only shocker. We played them off the park for three and a half quarters and if their defenders didn’t pull on so many jumpers (must have been an instruction?) then maybe they wouldn’t have given away so many free kicks. Still wouldn’t have helped them though. They simply got outplayed and you could tell from the moment they ran into the field that they had the wrong attitude

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
Yep dwaino and outcoached too.

The Richmond 2017 Season Highlights DVD is great to watch too as Rance gives a lot of insight into the GF towards the end of it such as explaining our plan to deny Adelaide those '45' kicks by picking them off which then forced the Crows into kicks down the line. We really did a job on them  :thumbsup.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
ps. The Season Highlights DVD also shows all the camera shots they have of Richo while he was sitting on the boundary watching the GF. It's funny as! :lol  :rollin The big fella is a just a big Tiger supporter kid at heart. Worth getting the DVD just for this if you haven't seen it. Seriously, hilarious stuff!  :rollin

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »

I feel that is a tad harsh on Don Pyke. A coach is responsible for a lot of things, but if his team doesn't bring the intensity required, it is not really his fault.

When Adelaide played West Coast at the end of the season and lost at Subi, one of the commentators on ABC radio made the point, which I thought was very valid in watching replays of the GF, that he thought Adelaide was one of the most inflexible teams of 2017. Their forwards are forwards and their backmen are backmen and never the twain shall meet. Their midfielders are good, but they don't have a lot of depth there either.

There is no denying that we were brilliantly coached on the day. Our match-ups were perfect and we executed all day long. Once his game plan fell apart under our pressure and tactics, I am not sure what Pyke could have done. In hindsight, they were too top heavy against a team that was smaller and quicker.

After watching the GF a number of times now :) I am of the opinion that the Crows overachieved this season. You have to give Pyke credit for that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »

I feel that is a tad harsh on Don Pyke. A coach is responsible for a lot of things, but if his team doesn't bring the intensity required, it is not really his fault.

When Adelaide played West Coast at the end of the season and lost at Subi, one of the commentators on ABC radio made the point, which I thought was very valid in watching replays of the GF, that he thought Adelaide was one of the most inflexible teams of 2017. Their forwards are forwards and their backmen are backmen and never the twain shall meet. Their midfielders are good, but they don't have a lot of depth there either.

There is no denying that we were brilliantly coached on the day. Our match-ups were perfect and we executed all day long. Once his game plan fell apart under our pressure and tactics, I am not sure what Pyke could have done. In hindsight, they were too top heavy against a team that was smaller and quicker.

After watching the GF a number of times now :) I am of the opinion that the Crows overachieved this season. You have to give Pyke credit for that.
The Crows did turn up to play though. They kicked the first two goals and were leading at 1/4 time.

While it was our pressure that eventually broke them, Adelaide's gamestyle isn't suited to the MCG with its wider wings. They struggled in all 4 games at the 'G this year. They came from behind to beat Hawthorn when the Hawks were rubbish early on in the season; they barely got over the line against bottom 2 side Carlton; and they were 50 pts down against another mediorce side in the Pies before coming back to draw. You're not going to win a flag if you can't play well at the 'G and that's a gamestyle/coaching issue. Off all the interstate teams, only the Swans can handle playing at the MCG (they ran out of puff in their SF against Geelong and genuinely didn't turn up to play).

Furthermore, even if it was all in vain, Pyke could have chucked the magnets around at 3/4 time given Walker & especially Jenkins were totally useless as key forward targets while Lynch was being well contained by Broad. Sheedy turned the tide in the 1984 GF when he swapped his forwards & backs at 3/4 time. Duckworth & Weston were thrown forward and the likes of Baker & Watson as small forwards tore Hawthorn apart in the last qtr. Barassi of course told Carlton 44 pts down at half-time of the 1970 GF to handball like mad and play on at all costs. Great coaches can make things happen. You're may be 100% right Slipper and Adelaide are too positioning inflexible but that doesn't excuse the coach from being equally inflexible. You might as well try something different especially when you're losing an all-or-nothing Grand Final.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »

The Crows did turn up to play though. They kicked the first two goals and were leading at 1/4 time.

While it was our pressure that eventually broke them, Adelaide's gamestyle isn't suited to the MCG with its wider wings. They struggled in all 4 games at the 'G this year. They came from behind to beat Hawthorn when the Hawks were rubbish early on in the season; they barely got over the line against bottom 2 side Carlton; and they were 50 pts down against another mediorce side in the Pies before coming back to draw. You're not going to win a flag if you can't play well at the 'G and that's a gamestyle/coaching issue. Off all the interstate teams, only the Swans can handle playing at the MCG (they ran out of puff in their SF against Geelong and genuinely didn't turn up to play).

Furthermore, even if it was all in vain, Pyke could have chucked the magnets around at 3/4 time given Walker & especially Jenkins were totally useless as key forward targets while Lynch was being well contained by Broad. Sheedy turned the tide in the 1984 GF when he swapped his forwards & backs at 3/4 time. Duckworth & Weston were thrown forward and the likes of Baker & Watson as small forwards tore Hawthorn apart in the last qtr. Barassi of course told Carlton 44 pts down at half-time of the 1970 GF to handball like mad and play on at all costs. Great coaches can make things happen. You're may be 100% right Slipper and Adelaide are too positioning inflexible but that doesn't excuse the coach from being equally inflexible. You might as well try something different especially when you're losing an all-or-nothing Grand Final.

Thats one of the funniest things watching the replays, he didn't do one thing different and the cuts to him in the coaching box looking like a stuffed manikin is a joy to behold

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
Hawthorn didn't have Rance in '84. :shh

If I was Pyke I would've at least moved Betts &  Cameron to the half back flanks about halfway through the third......
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
My view once we got out of second gear after a slow start Crows couldn't go with us they were left wondering.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
About 17 times.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
How many times before you noticed that there were actually other players out there besides Edwards?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
Just picked up our ultimate season pack from jb hifi for $120. Getting closer to watching the granny
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

tony_montana

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »
Seen it a number of times.

I reckon after the first 2 goals, we pretty much controlled the game from the 10 min mark of the 1st qtr. Crows got 2 cheapies just before qtr time but apart from that they didnt really look like scoring from about 10 minutes in when we started turning the momentum with our tackling, chasing and intensity. 48 points flattered them - was a flogging in every sense

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »
I still can't get over how bad Brian Taylor's call was.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Just watched it with the MMM call.  ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Just watched it with the MMM call.  ;D
Did they have the fader down on the crowd noise?