Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 408663 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tom Lynch is a Tiger [official]
« Reply #1455 on: July 20, 2019, 06:48:38 PM »
what a great game. If he and Jack can put it again next week and smash those pricks next week it will be so sweet as we take their 4th spot.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1456 on: July 20, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
My boy Lynch! Always thought he was an absolute gun. Really happy he’s moving around and zipping about like the Ferrari he is

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1457 on: July 20, 2019, 08:36:40 PM »
BOG for mine.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1458 on: July 20, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
Wow. He’s really using his bulk now and it’s paying off.

I think the boys are really confident in his abilities now.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1459 on: July 20, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »
I reckon his most unnoticed work is at ground level.
He is very clean below the knees.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1460 on: July 20, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
Lynch will relish the extended run on the MCG — the Magpies clash is the third of seven straight games on their hallowed home turf — and admitted he and Riewoldt can only improve.

“It’s good to have Jack back, he takes the pressure off a bit,’’ said Lynch, who could have matched his Tigers best 6.2 if not for wayward kicking.

“He’s a star and he makes our team better when he plays and we’ll continue to grow that relationship.

“I felt like earlier (this season) I might have needed match fitness and build into playing for Richmond — got to learn different styles.

“I reckon I hadn’t even played seven games at the MCG before this year. To play seven in a row is nice. It’s a massive month coming up.”

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #1461 on: July 20, 2019, 11:58:26 PM »
It's been great to see Lynch and his full range of skills over the last couple of weeks. If he keeps hitting up at the ball like a battering ram it is going to be a bonanza for our small forwards. Looks like he is hitting peak fitness. The wide open spaces of the MCG are his for the taking this September.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1462 on: July 21, 2019, 09:10:38 PM »
The lads got a bit of animal bout him too, like it.  Doesn't take any poo and they know he is gonna go straight through em if they get in his way.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1463 on: July 22, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
Tiger Tom eyes Pies' scalp in Friday night MCG blockbuster

AFL.com.au
Marc McGowan
Jul 22, 2019

FORMER Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch had never played in front of 52,000 fans until he made his Richmond debut in round one this year.

That night, in excess of 85,000 people packed into the MCG for the Tigers' annual season-opener against Carlton, then a week later almost 71,000 turned up for the clash with Collingwood.

Twice more since then, against Melbourne on Anzac Day Eve and Essendon in round 10, Lynch ran out to 70,000-plus crowds.

In five days, when Richmond will attempt to avenge consecutive defeats to the Magpies – including last year's shock preliminary final result – there might even be more than 90,000.

These are exactly the types of matches Lynch wanted to part of when he departed the Suns as last year's most coveted free agent.

The lure of home was just as great for the one-time Dandenong Stingrays prodigy.

"I was pretty keen to come back to Victoria, where I'm from, and there's no better place to play footy than the 'G on a Friday night, so I'll be pretty excited for that one," Lynch told AFL.com.au of the date with Collingwood.

"They're a super side and it's going to be tough but we'll think about this one (the 38-point victory over Port Adelaide) for a little bit, then we'll work on the Pies on Monday.

"The last two games were really important to us, so we've got a massive five games to go."

Lynch was one of the Tigers' best players on Saturday in an ominous performance that offered another glimpse into the weapon Damien Hardwick's team has inherited.

The 26-year-old was a nightmare for the Power's defenders when he stationed himself deep, and was just as difficult once he moved further afield to serve as Richmond's linkman.

If not for some inaccurate goalkicking he might have matched the season-high six majors he booted against the same club in round four.

Even then, Lynch's unstoppable ways were highlighted in a final-term highlight, where an unlucky bounce left his opponent for the day, Tom Clurey, in a vulnerable spot.

The Sherrin instead landed in the 199cm Tiger's hands and he unsuccessfully tried to bulldoze through Clurey, before throwing the ball onto his left boot and snapping a brilliant goal.

It was Lynch's third for the day, against four behinds, to go with 19 disposals (13 contested), nine marks (four contested and five inside 50) and an enormous 12 score involvements.

He has 40 majors for the year, good for equal-third in the AFL entering Sunday, although he laughed off mounting a late-season challenge to the Giants' Coleman Medal frontrunner Jeremy Cameron (54).

No more proof is required that Lynch is over the posterior cruciate ligament injury that required surgery last year and prematurely ended his final season on the Gold Coast.

"I knew I was going to build into the season. I was a little bit scratchy earlier in the season but my body feels really good," he said.

"I feel like I've learned the Richmond style and I've played a bit of footy this year now, so it's good."

The fact triple Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt, in just his fourth match this year because of his own PCL setback, kicked three goals as well against Port made for an even better day.

As for how they decide who plays deeper or further afield, Lynch joked they simply "get out of Dusty's way".

"We worked all right together last week and today it was getting better but Jack's obviously going to be better in a month's time," Lynch said of he and Riewoldt.

"He's a superstar and it's probably the only time in my career when I've had someone older as a key forward (teammate), which is a bit strange, because I'm a bit older now – I'm probably doing it backwards.

"It's awesome to have him alongside me and great to have him back out there."

In the background of Lynch's success is the continued struggles of the Suns, who lost their 13th straight game at Marvel Stadium on Saturday, barely 10 minutes away from the Tigers' MCG heroics.

A more-sombre Lynch paused as he tried to find the right words to reflect on his former side, which seems certain to finish on the bottom for the first time in its nine-year history.

"Obviously, I've got a lot of great mates up there and I wish them all the best," he said.

"I don't know (what to make of it). You're pretty focused on what you're doing but hopefully they have a good backend of the year."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-22/tiger-tom-eyes-pies-scalp-in-friday-night-mcg-blockbuster

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1464 on: July 23, 2019, 12:49:28 AM »
"He could be the difference in Richmond winning a flag."

Wayne Carey says Tom Lynch is looking ominous 🔥

#TalkingFooty

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1153238007127822336

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1465 on: July 26, 2019, 10:43:56 PM »
Awesome first half. Tore them to shreds. Getting into scary form for opposition clubs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1466 on: July 26, 2019, 10:51:01 PM »
Stuff me this guy is like a God out there on the ground.

It makes me so happy having a genuine power forward who rag dolls key defenders!

Could have had 6-7 tonight easily.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Star recruit proving the Lynch-pin of Tigers' finals charge (afl site)
« Reply #1467 on: July 26, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
Star recruit proving the Lynch-pin of Tigers' finals charge

AFL.com.au
Callum Twomey
Jul 26, 2019 10:52PM

IN THE end, Tom Lynch's decision last year was not so much about staying or leaving Gold Coast, but whether he'd join Richmond or Collingwood.

The Tigers ended up the winners in the luring of Lynch, also beating out Hawthorn, although the Hawks always appeared destined for the bronze medal on that podium.

Richmond was favoured from the outset in its pursuit of the former Gold Coast co-captain, having shown enough interest from a long way out to be front of Lynch's mind. But Collingwood gave him pause for thought, including meeting with him before the end of last season.

The Tigers unveiled recruit Tom Lynch as their new signing in October last year. Picture: AFL Photos

Magpies coach Nathan Buckley on Friday night would have been wishing his pitch to Lynch last year was more successful.

Lynch was supreme in the Tigers' 32-point win over Collingwood, in what was another statement of Richmond's force as it gathers steam towards the finals series.

He kicked five goals in a dominant display, including four in the first half as Richmond set up the commanding win.

The wet slog at the MCG was a long way from the days of t-shirts and board shorts at the Suns, where Lynch spent his first eight years as an AFL player.

But it was everything Lynch had wanted when he was making his choice last year: spearheading a premiership contender in front of a packed crowd back at home in Victoria.

Lynch was not the difference between Richmond and Collingwood – there was so many factors in the Tigers' drubbing, including a midfield masterclass, a defensive destruction and a spirit-sapping start that reduced Collingwood to look like a middling opponent.

But the 26-year-old embodied the growing gap between the sides as September draws nearer. He, like his team, is getting better with every week. Collingwood is working in reverse.

Lynch started the season underdone after a pre-season limited by the knee injury that he brought with him from Gold Coast last season. There were criticisms over his agility at ground level, and ability to impact away from deep in attack.

But he has now kicked 44 goals for the year, and with four games to go in the home and away season, and likely at least a couple of finals in store for the Tigers, Lynch could eclipse his career-best season tally of 66 goals (which he booted at the Suns in 2016).

He entered Friday's game having kicked three goals a game over the past four weeks, all of which were Richmond wins. Last week against Port Adelaide, he teamed up with returning goalkicker Jack Riewoldt and connected beautifully.

He kicked six goals against the Power in round four, in what is his biggest bag in the yellow and black, but this was perhaps his most complete performance.

Despite the conditions not suiting marking players, Lynch was a class above, particularly in the first half. He found space in the forward 50, was clean at ground level and took his chances.

The wet was meant to bring Richmond's fleet of smaller options into the game, but it only highlighted the presence of the tallest Tigers forward.

In doing so, Lynch also highlighted Collingwood's lack of forward options. Mason Cox had the first shot at goal of the game but thereafter was unable to impact, Brodie Mihocek struggled, while Jordan De Goey was Collingwood's best but only kicked one major as he spent more time around the ball.

Collingwood is missing suspended goalkicker Jaidyn Stephenson, with Jamie Elliott unable to step up in the NAB AFL Rising Star's absence with only five disposals against the Tigers.

Unlike the building Tigers, Collingwood is slumping, losing four of its past five games and its grip on a place in the top four.

Richmond is far more in sync as a tilt at a second flag in three years beckons and Lynch will be pivotal to that chase as the Tigers' preferred inside-50 target.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-26/star-recruit-proving-the-lynchpin-of-tigers-finals-charge

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1468 on: July 26, 2019, 11:29:39 PM »
Stuff me, opinions of children aside he is smashing it

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1469 on: July 27, 2019, 12:12:32 AM »
Stuff me, opinions of children aside he is smashing it

:lol

In all seriousness how good does this guy look now. Covering ground, clunking marks, crunching packs and very clean at ground level even tonight in the wet!

A big pat on the back to our medical team, timed it beautifully.