Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 479657 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tom Lynch [merged]
« Reply #1875 on: August 13, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column:

IF ...
you want to know the true origins of the Dimma-Jono Brown stoush ...

THEN ...
go back to the start of the 2004 Toyota AFL Grand Final. Hardwick started spotfires with Lions players, seemingly everywhere. Brown belted Josh Carr after that, Simon Black belted Hardwick. I loved their verbal stoush during the week, Brown doing his job perfectly in the media, Hardwick equally doing his in defending Tom Lynch.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/662970/if-you-want-to-know-the-true-origins-of-the-dimma-jon-brown-stoush-then

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1876 on: October 04, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »
Lynch one of the 5 players with the biggest gap between their best and worst according to Kane Cornes.

https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1444786188619968516

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1877 on: November 12, 2021, 02:54:54 AM »
Does the footy world have an issue with players on big money deals?

Is the AFL suffering from tall poppy syndrome?

Jake Benoiton
zerohanger.com
November 11, 2021

Lynch has had a few incidents that have drawn the fury of fans over the last 24 months. But would fans be as outraged if he was playing for the struggling Suns on a lesser contract and not a two-time premiership player earning a very attractive paycheque at Richmond?

Full article: https://www.zerohanger.com/does-the-footy-world-have-an-issue-with-players-on-big-money-deals-93939/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1878 on: November 18, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »
The question was posed to Brereton: Have we seen the best of Tom Lynch?

“I reckon you can hold on what we’ve seen in recent times,” he said on SEN Drive.

“I don’t think we’re going to get better than what we’ve seen, but I reckon he can hold.”

But will Lynch’s ‘holding’ of form still be enough for the Tigers to win the flag?

“I think so.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/17/have-we-seen-the-best-of-lynch-and-riewoldt-should-dusty-captain-the-tigers/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1879 on: November 18, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
If he regains 2019 form and holds it for about 3 years I'd call that a great outcome.

Personally I think his best is behind him but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #1880 on: November 18, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
As long as he at least draws defenders and stretches oppo defences he'll be useful.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1881 on: November 29, 2021, 10:42:27 PM »
Star goalkicker Tom Lynch

“Tom just had a little arthroscope last season mid-year and his knee was pretty good for the rest of the year. He has been here training regularly. He wants to prepare well and bounce back like the whole team. The attitude here is that we know we need to prepare well for next year so we will give a good account of ourselves.” - Peter Burge.

Source: HeraldSun

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1882 on: January 20, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »
As mentioned in the training thread.

STAR RICHMOND FORWARD SUFFERS INJURY SETBACK

Star Tiger Tom Lynch has suffered a minor hamstring injury.

However, the Tigers expect him to only train with the rehab group for one or two weeks, the setback unlikely to influence his position in the side for Richmond's season opener in just under two months.

The soreness is understood to have occurred on Monday, with the Tigers confirming the news via Twitter on Thursday, and Lynch has plenty of time before the AFL season begins.

Lynch has played at least 18 games every season since joining the Tigers at the end of 2018, his durability an asset to a club that has had its injury troubles.

However, the former Sun did appear hampered for parts of 2021, undergoing knee surgery in the middle of the season to miss four matches.

The 29-year-old may have to shoulder more of the load up forward in 2022 after the trade period departures of Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/01/20/star-richmond-forward-suffers-injury-setback/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1883 on: January 31, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
Richmond has been hit with a massive workload since returning from the Christmas break, with the high performance department at Punt Road testing the limits of the playing list during a brutal three-week block to start 2022.

The increase in intensity and workload was a contributing factor in Tom Lynch's minor hamstring strain, but it is a risk the club was willing to take at this time of year as it completes a training program that many inside the club hope will not only see it return to September, but contend in 2022.

Lynch had completed the entire pre-season program up until that setback and is expected to return to full training ahead of the pre-season practice matches against Geelong and Hawthorn.

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How forward mafia’s criticism impacted Tom Lynch (HeraldSun)
« Reply #1884 on: February 15, 2022, 04:37:11 AM »
How forward mafia’s criticism impacted Lynch

Tom Lynch’s form was questioned by many last season, including Jonathan Brown. The Tigers spearhead has finally had his say on the comments.

HeraldSun
15 February 2022

As Tom Lynch’s hamstring groaned under the strain of a huge pre-season last month it dawned on him he might just be getting old.

For so long Lynch’s body has been immune to the soft tissue injuries other players have endured with the single exception of a reconstructed posterior cruciate ligament.

It was why he was Richmond’s very own Golden child, an ex-Suns free agency spearhead who arrived to win a pair of premierships and bask in the adulation of a Tigers dynasty.

Yet these past 12 months have seen the first mixed reviews of his career, more surgery on that troublesome knee and now the recent summer hamstring injury.

If you wanted to build a narrative that the 29-year-old faced the same challenges as an Richmond list with its best behind it, you could at least attempt to fill in the dots.

Not so bloody fast.

As Lynch prepares to return from that minor hamstring tweak, adamant his knee has never felt better, he says Richmond isn’t going anywhere.

Enlivened by the influx of five early draftees and the new ideas of ex-Carlton coach David Teague, he says Richmond isn’t going quietly into the night.

“The hammy is fine. It’s only a minor one, really,” he said on his way to a mate’s wedding as he was held out of a Thursday match simulation session.

“We will go a little bit slower with it this time of the year, because we have that extra few weeks up our sleeve. I am feeling fine, I will be in the main group in the last week or two. I haven’t done many, this is only the second hammy I have done. I was a little more surprised than anything when I did it. But I am getting old now. These things can happen, it should be no worries at all for the season. I should be OK for the (Saturday February 26) practice match but it will be up to the docs. I will either do a big session or a practice match, so you know which I will be targeting. But it’s nothing to worry about.”

Lynch might joke about his advancing years but after two excellent seasons – 63.31 in 2019 and 32.27 in a shortened 2020 premiership year – his moderate 2021 haul of 35.33 had a much simpler explanation.

In a year where Richmond’s ball movement and delivery to forwards was poor anyway, Lynch just couldn’t quite string together a sustained patch of form.

What would he rank the season out of 10 after a year where the forward mafia (Jon Brown, Matthew Lloyd) both criticised his impact?

“It’s always hard to put a number on it. I would probably say a five. I didn’t have a shocking year but I didn’t have the year I would have liked. At different stages I was up and down and missed a few games with injury and came back but also at a personal level I didn’t complete games.

“You walk away sometimes having kicked straight and it looks like you have had a better day than you have had but I still managed to be the focal point and try to bring other players into the game but without that real high performance that every player wants to play well.”

The knee injury that saw Lynch missing Rounds 11-15 might have raised eyebrows given his history but Lynch says it is a non-factor going forward.

He has four seasons on his Richmond contract but won’t give himself an injury alibi for the season.

“It was quite strange, it wasn’t painful at all. After a game it was getting really swollen, which I hadn’t had at all at Richmond. I could have kept playing but the surgeon decided to get it done straight away. We had a bye so we used the bye and I could get back in three or four weeks so it was quite minor and it has felt fine ever since.

“It is one of those things, it could be part of (the previous PCL reconstruction) but it might not be. It just popped up out of nowhere and it’s not an issue. The knee feels great.”

Brown’s August criticism of Lynch after four goals in three weeks came as he implored the Tigers star to get up the ground to have more influence and even throw himself into the ruck.

If you know the unflappable Lynch, you know he isn’t going to hit back with some quotable quote.

And you won’t get the kind of response that saw Damien Hardwick fiercely hitting back at Brown for his “cheap seats” criticism of the Lions legend as forgetting how hard the game is.

Instead he says part of Brown’s criticism was valid and some of it ignored the role he is actually required to play.

“At various times (the criticism) was valid. Dimma is great and he backs in his players. There is truth in some things and then with others you are like, that’s just not true.

“(Brown) was saying I have to get up the ground more and get more involved. It was a fair summation, really. But I am not going to get up into the ruck just to get a possession when it would be to the detriment of the team. We have got some great rucks and if I can still bring a contest that’s fine. Dimma is a great coach and you can see he cares for his players. He has got your back and he’s always going to support you.”

During Richmond’s first September off since 2016 Lynch was chuffed to see former co-captain Steven May lift the premiership cup, shocked by Melbourne’s capacity to find a fifth gear.

Yet that white line fever kicks in again as Lynch makes clear Richmond will contend this season.

“I was rapt for Maysey. It was great to see him win. I hope he doesn’t win another one, hopefully we will get back there, but I was really happy for him,” he said.

“Melbourne just seemed so powerful, they scored so quickly. Everyone was a bit impressed by the way they went about it. The Dogs are a bloody good side and for Melbourne to do that to them was very impressive.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-richmond-news-stay-uptodate-with-the-tigers-preseason/news-story/9d4c1b5d978737995e53d57218f32572
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 04:54:17 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Tom Lynch is in the $800k overrated club" - Robbo
« Reply #1885 on: February 25, 2022, 05:39:34 AM »
"Tom Lynch is in the $800k overrated club."

"Fallen quite drastically from the top of [his] game."

- Robbo on Fox Footy last night.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1886 on: February 25, 2022, 09:19:06 AM »
Blobbo should know all about overrated ...    :P
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1887 on: February 25, 2022, 09:32:32 AM »
Well it's true.

Earned his contract in 2019 no problem, but since then he's been average.

I really hope he hits form again otherwise he'll go down as a decent forward who had a very good season and won a flag. Couldn't hold a candle to our Jack.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1888 on: February 25, 2022, 01:23:21 PM »
He should take a pay cut.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1889 on: February 25, 2022, 02:27:52 PM »