Author Topic: Sharing it around/"unselfish" football....  (Read 1622 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Sharing it around/"unselfish" football....
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »
Love the mentality - we won a flag because of it.

Calm your farms you blokes. We didn't have that lead eaten up because we're always looking for a person in a better position....

Yeash!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
How do people feel about that trick shot off the side of the boot goal Butler did? Personally I am not a fan of the cute stuff. Just pick the ball up and slot it through as a drop punt

I felt he had little choice, but Butler did something later on which was about sharing the footy that cost us a goal because he didn't take ownership of the situation and kick it himself.
Really silly decision by Butler it was a very Castagna-like decision.Could’ve iced the game but gave the hawks a sniff. Butler should’ve just went back and slotted it through himself.

.... Interestingly Castagna played like Butler and Butler played like Castagna throughout the game.

That was a different situation - agree that this was an absurd decision that even the coach reacted to in the box.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
Dimma constantly talks about learning from our experiences.

I don't think the players will need to be told that the way the played in the last quarter wasn't what is required.

Our unselfishness got away from us in that last quarter and led to poor decisions. But really, it was evident earlier in the game, it just didn't cost us.

My main concern is that our players seem to try and make every goal and absolute gimmie by taking it to the goal line. It is a habit/way of thinking that has to change, because it will not work when the heat is on against better teams.

But all good if we learn from it and make better decisions in the future.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
Yes we used the play on immediately/keep the ball moving forward to win a premiership and we should still play that way for the most part.

Also should be mindful of the position of the game. Part way through the last quarter leading by 39 points, after 3 and a bit quarters of full on football, Take your time and make sure you kick the goal to take the lead to 45 plus take 30 seconds off the clock plus give your teammates a breather and time to reset plus make the opposition think about being 45 points behind.