Author Topic: Media articles and stats: Tigers fail to fire against Port  (Read 3418 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Media articles and stats: Tigers fail to fire against Port
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »
Tigers fail to fire against Port

PORT ADELAIDE  2.2   9.5  10.7  10.12 (72)

RICHMOND          3.3   5.6   7.8   8.10 (58)

GOALS
Port Adelaide: Westhoff 3, S.Gray 2, R.Gray 2, Dixon, Polec, Motlop
Richmond: Riewoldt 3, Edwards 2, Castagna 2, Miles

BEST
Port Adelaide: Powell-Pepper, Wines, Polec, Wingard, Rockliff, Byrne-Jones
Richmond:  Grigg, Short, Lambert, Edwards, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance                                                                         

INJURIES
Port Adelaide: TBC
Richmond: Astbury (ankle)

Reports: TBC

Umpires: Chamberlain, Harris, Ryan

Official crowd: 39,936 at the Adelaide Oval

------------------------------------------------------------------

Five unanswered goals from Port Adelaide in 10 frantic minutes in the second quarter turned Friday night's game on its head, as Richmond fell to the Power by 14 points.

The Power booted seven goals to two in the second quarter to set up their seventh win of the year – 10.12 (72) to 8.10 (58) – in front of a crowd of 39,936.

After half-time, Port only kicked one goal, but the Tigers didn't do enough going forward to haul in the 23-point deficit from the main break.

Neither side could make a huge impact on the scoreboard in the third term, but Tigers forward Jason Castagna – in his first game back after missing two weeks with a knee injury – ran into an open goal late in the term to keep the visitors in the hunt.

Castagna was prominent again with a sensational contested mark, before calmly kicking his second goal to narrow the gap to nine points at the nine-minute mark of the last quarter, but couldn't get any closer from that point.

Kane Lambert had 26 touches for the Tigers, Jayden Short finished with 25 and Jack Riewoldt kicked three goals.

The Power won contested possessions by 24 (60-36), Inside 50s by 12 (21-9) and disposals by 41 (115-74).

The Power's decision to throw enigmatic forward Chad Wingard into the midfield was a masterstroke, the two-time All Australian sparking to life with a game-high 31 disposals.

Out-of-contract midfielder Ollie Wines showed why the Power are so keen for his signature with a brilliant performance with 29 disposals (16 contested), receiving great support from bash brother Sam Powell-Pepper.

Winger Jared Polec (28, 16 contested) provided plenty of run on the outside and veteran Justin Westhoff had 23 disposals and three goals, all in the first half.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-06-08/round-12-match-report

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Power surge stops Tigers (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:53:26 AM »
Power surge stops Tigers

By Ashley Porter
The Age
9 June 2018

Richmond were beaten by a rejuvenated Port Adelaide who made a strong statement Friday night at Adelaide Oval, but in the makings of a country and western song, don’t blame it on Dusty.

The Tigers sorely missed Dustin Martin, but for most part even the Brownlow medallist would have been hard-pressed to stop the stampeding Power before 39,936 fans.

Port held Richmond to a miserable 21 inside-50 entries up to half-time – their second-lowest in any half this season – and it was ultimately the most telling and damning factor against the reigning premiers.

The lead had changed for the sixth time 21 minutes into the second term when Port produced an incredible burst of authority, one that may prove a turning point of their season.

In five minutes 26 seconds, Port added four goals to lead by 23 points at half-time. They produced a ruthlessness and skill execution that had been seriously questioned of late.

During the second term Port had 10 more inside-50 entries, 27 more contested possessions and five more centre clearances.

Game-changers Ollie Wines had 13 more disposals compared with his first quarter, while Jared Polec gained 11 and Tom Rockliff eight. Richmond’s Josh Caddy did not get a touch, but he was far from being the only Tiger struggler during this quarter.

It was an awesome seizing of control, and while Port had a host of quality performers it was Justin Westhoff who clearly dominated early and set a terrific example. By half-time he had 16 disposals including four inside-50 entries, and three goals.

There was nothing new to Port’s game. It was built predominantly on courage, that determination to win the ball at all costs. They chased and tackled, forcing the Tigers into mistakes. After only five games last season, Anthony Miles did well in his first AFL game this season. When he goaled early in the second term players rushed to congratulate him as if he kicked his first in the AFL. but from there, Port made their terrific run.

A telling factor was that during this torrid third term Richmond had 18 inside-50 entries – a significant lift – but kicked only 2.1. Port also wasted opportunities, keeping the Tigers in the hunt, within 17 points at three-quarter-time. Try the Tigers did, but it wasn’t enough. Missing was that “X-factor” that Dusty Martin so often provides.

There were some superb one-on-one battles. A fired-up Charlie Dixon started well against Alex Rance, but upon starting to hobble late in the first quarter his influenced waned. Rance had a mixed night: at his brilliant, goal-saving and inspiring best one moment, and dropping chest marks and giving away silly free kicks the next.

Ruckmen Paddy Ryder and Toby Nankervis had an absorbing duel with both contributing well to their respective sides. Interestingly, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick was prepared to allow his much smaller onballers to nominate for the tap at key moments hoping to give the Tigers an edge downfield. Of course, it wasn’t enough.

PORT ADELAIDE 2.2 9.5 10.7 10.12 (72)
RICHMOND         3.3 5.6 7.8 8.10 (58)

GOALS
Port Adelaide: Westhoff 3, R Gray 2, S Gray 2, Dixon, Polec, Motlop.
Richmond: Riewoldt 3, Costagna 2, Edwards 2, Miles.

BEST
Port Adelaide: Westhoff, Polec, Wines, Byrne-Jones, Wingard, Ryder.
Richmond: Lambert, Ellis, Short, Grigg, Nankervis.

INJURIES
Richmond: Astbury (ankle).

UMPIRES
Chamberlain, Harris, Ryan.

CROWD
39,936 at Adelaide Oval.

VOTES

J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/power-surge-stops-tigers-20180608-p4zkgr.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Power surge stops Tigers (The Age)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:51:58 AM »
Quote from: one-eyed
VOTES[/b]
J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/power-surge-stops-tigers-20180608-p4zkgr.html

WTF

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
VOTES[/b]
J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

WTF

Yep, very strange to see Lambert in the votes. Agreed. Fair call on the rest. :thumbsup
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Media articles and stats: Tigers fail to fire against Port
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
Lambert and  Bellis' games were almost identical...........,in fact both players are pretty much offering the same atm....at lot of running but zero impact....and both were shockingly weak and lazy in the contest.... :shh
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:00:11 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
We struggled to get to the marking contests, usually we crash packs to get the ball to ground but they regularly held marks.

Also whilst we applied pressure our tackles just dont seem to be sticking and seem to be shrugged off way too easy. Too much superman diving at opponents rather than coralling.

Must admit the umps frustrate in relation with the holding the ball interpretations. Conca grabbed pretty much as he got the ball and then chicken winged and its a free against. 2 minutes later same type of tackle by us and its deemed no prior.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
VOTES[/b]
J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

WTF

Yep, very strange to see Lambert in the votes. Agreed. Fair call on the rest. :thumbsup
Who’s voting? Is it the same mob that we’re the only ones not to award Dusty the chocolates last season? If so why is anyone suprised?  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
VOTES[/b]
J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

WTF

Is it the same mob that we’re the only ones not to award Dusty the chocolates last season?  :rollin

Is it the stuffin what?  :lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

strongandbold

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »
ya win some ya lose some, thats life

dont whinge, dont complain, learn from it and move on to next week.

I'll reveal whether or not I am WAT if Geelong beat us.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
Well WAT used to bag players for games they didn't even play in and you give votes to blokes who only play half a game so no-one would be all that surprised if you were..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
VOTES[/b]
J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

WTF

You are kidding?

Wines was the best player on the ground by a mile

The only thing those votes prove is the media base nearly eveything around the number of possessions

Lambert had The most possession for us and he was terrible. BEllis was worse but had plenty of kicks, so give 'em votes

Cotchin was better than both of them but on had 20 possessions so not votes.

Please.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 06:14:35 PM »
VOTES[/b]
J. Westhoff (PA) ... 8
J. Polec (PA) ... 7
K. Lambert (Rich) ... 7
O. Wines (PA) ... 7
B. Ellis (Rich) ... 7

WTF

You are kidding?

Wines was the best player on the ground by a mile

The only thing those votes prove is the media base nearly eveything around the number of possessions

Lambert had The most possession for us and he was terrible. BEllis was worse but had plenty of kicks, so give 'em votes

Cotchin was better than both of them but on had 20 possessions so not votes.

Please.

Wines was great but Westhoff & Polec completely turned the game in the 2nd.

Ellis was breathtaking at times, some pure magic from him and fearless attack on the footy a few times. Just needs to do it consistently. He was one of our best for sure.

strongandbold

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
People who think Ellis was bad obviously have it against him.  Did he bang some members girlfriends or something.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:09 PM »
People who think Ellis was bad obviously have it against him.  Did he bang some members girlfriends or something.
Exactly. Just stuns me every time we lose and I log on here. I already know what I am going to read. Nonstop Ellis bagging from a few individuals.

I really do think he must offend people at functions or something because there's no other explanation. Actually a really nice fella & good footballer.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 06:27:45 PM »

Ellis was breathtaking at times, some pure magic from him and fearless attack on the footy a few times. Just needs to do it consistently. He was one of our best for sure.

"Fearless arrack on the footy a few times"?

Wow,!

And what about the contests he shirked or simply refused to attack let alone fearlessly? Of which I counted at least 6?

He along with Grigg cost us at least 3-4 goals eith their poor play and guess what we lost by less than that...

He was back to bad / poor BEliis, the one that got dropped for those reasons

He was not close to one of the best, he was like most of the side very poor.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)