Author Topic: Shane Tuck [merged]  (Read 51658 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The Shane Tuck story
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 08:51:12 AM »
Shane Tuck has been great so far this season - really blossomed under TW. :thumbsup

Moi

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 10:28:48 AM »
It's a short story, but a great story so far.
Luv his Ablett pedigree  :thumbsup
Luv his Tuck pedigree also lol  :thumbsup

Also hope it's another one that got away from the Hawkers story  :rollin

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
I see this story as being a little more indicative of the incompetence of D Frawley. I think it's a great story for the friar and I just so pleased that finally someone at the club (Wallace) had the good sense to find out exactly what The Friar could do, it's only early days but the signs are really really good so far. Go Tucky, rip the guts outta the blues today mate  :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 10:52:24 PM »
Another top game from Tucky today. When I went to get something to eat at half-time went past one of the tv screens at the back of the Southern stand and fox footy's summary vision of the game til then was Cogs and Tuck winning the ball in close and feeding it out. The showed about 6-7 clearances of Tuck back to back. Now he's been moved into the centre he just knows how to get his hands on the footy.

I see this story as being a little more indicative of the incompetence of D Frawley.

Good coaches are able to know what each of their players can do and positions they can play. Spud never gave Tuck a go to know what he was capable of despite the senior team being totally uncompetitive last year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 10:54:13 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 06:18:23 PM »
In Tuck, Coughlan and Johnson we have some big strong contested ball winners and oppositin teams will struggle against us in the centre clearances. 

Watching most of Coburg's games last year it became apparent to me that Tuck was just so strong over the ball in tight, and that he could just pluck the ball out of a pack with ease.  He has natural stregth. 

LMAO at Spud.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shane Tuck: one-hit wonder or real deal?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »
Shane Tuck: one-hit wonder or real deal?
Herald-Sun Footy Lifout
Scott Gullan
24th March 2006

Went from almost cut to legitimately stiff not to be All-Australian last year. Tuck had a season out of the box playing as an old-fashioned centreman, leading the club in disposals and hardball gets. As a rule the season after such a breakthrough is a lot different and opposition clubs might actually think about picking him up this year. But he works extremely hard and seems durable like his old man, so bank on him to play this way for the next 20 years.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shane Tuck: one-hit wonder or real deal?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
Real deal.  Geez these HUN reporters are stupid.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
Real deal - although you'd have to say he'll get tagged alot more than he did last season and that's something he will have to adjust to and not get frustrated by.

The only real weakness (if you'd call it that) he had last year was his conversion rate of shots for goal. Missed alot and I think he is a good option to send down forward when he needs a rest. He is a strong lead and mark - just needs to kick a few more goals :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2006, 07:49:31 PM »
If they try tagging Tucky then that should make it easier for Cogs, Sugar and our other midfielders. It's key we find a depth of at least 10 with can rotate through the middle. You can't tag everyone. In any case Tucky with his robust wirey frame and no-nonsense footy would be a difficult midfielder to shut down IMHO.

Agree WP about Tucky being a good option up forward when rested as he's a good strong mark. He's a bit like Lids in that regard. IMO Tucky could play most possies except ruck obviously and FB. If Sarge can hold down CHB with Gas at FB I hope Tezza gives also Joel a burst forward as well. Wallace wants to rotate guys through the forward line and now he has some ammo at his disposal to do so.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 10:30:31 PM »
If they try tagging Tucky then that should make it easier for Cogs, Sugar and our other midfielders. It's key we find a depth of at least 10 with can rotate through the middle. You can't tag everyone. In any case Tucky with his robust wirey frame and no-nonsense footy would be a difficult midfielder to shut down IMHO.

Agree WP about Tucky being a good option up forward when rested as he's a good strong mark. He's a bit like Lids in that regard. IMO Tucky could play most possies except ruck obviously and FB. If Sarge can hold down CHB with Gas at FB I hope Tezza gives also Joel a burst forward as well. Wallace wants to rotate guys through the forward line and now he has some ammo at his disposal to do so.

:cheers agree completely MT - they can't tag everyone - Imagine the opposition tagging 4 or 5 of our players :gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shane Tuck [merged]
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006, 01:30:46 AM »
Tucking in
10 June 2006   Herald Sun
Michael Horan

Being in the spotlight never suited Shane Tuck, but when you're the son of the AFL games record-holder and playing at his club, it's hard to avoid. He had a simple solution: step out of it. Tuck headed off road, then beat his own path back to the big time. And his formula for staying at the top is simple. Keep on Tuckin'.

SHANE Tuck had heavy baggage, too heavy to carry. That was the hard fact for a hopeful 18-year-old footballer, who, under the weight of expectation and pedigree, walked away from Glenferrie Oval after a couple of unfulfilled years on the Hawthorn rookie list, expecting never to return.

When you are the son of AFL games record-holder Michael Tuck and nephew of the great Gary Ablett, the road to an AFL career is not hard to find, but it can be a lonely one.

Which is why Tuck decided that he needed to take a detour before that undeniable pedigree and a maturing passion to succeed brought him to Punt Rd, and his standing today as a prime mover in the Tigers' midfield.

His father played 426 games for Hawthorn, was captain in four of the seven premiership sides in which he played and a three-time All-Australian.

Uncle Gary played 248 games and is one of only five men in AFL history to have kicked more than 1000 goals.

But after two years of being the struggling son of a gun – and nephew of "God" – Tuck, mentally and physically, had had enough.

"I just wanted a year off footy, I was sick of it. I just wanted to go and play with my mates in the sticks," Tuck, now 24, said this week.

"It actually didn't faze me too much because I just didn't want to play league footy. I'd had enough of it. It might have had a bit to do with the pressure of who my old man was, but I was just really sick of it.

"I couldn't put six weeks together without having something wrong with me. It used to really give me the poos, so I just wanted to walk away.

"My old man wasn't too happy about it, but I just didn't want to play."

They are the words of the man who last season was Richmond's leading possession winner, third in the club best-and-fairest and, according to Tigers coach Terry Wallace, very unlucky not to win All-Australian selection.

Wallace says Tuck's work ethic on the training track is a shining example of dedication and commitment – a stark contrast to the boy who threw it all in a few years earlier.

So what happened along that scenic route?

First of all, Tuck went bush to hang out with his mates.

He played footy at Carrum Downs, but then took off to South Australia to play under former Hawthorn teammate Shaun Rehn at West Adelaide in the SANFL.

"When I heard Shaun had the job there, I went straight away," Tuck said.

"I was pretty matey with him at Hawthorn and I respected him a lot, so I thought it would be a good opportunity, a good chance to play some good footy again."

Tuck said the move wasn't about getting another shot at the big league.

"It actually wasn't, no. That's what a lot of people think, but it just wasn't so. I just wanted to try something new," Tuck said.

"Then about 10 or so games into the season, people kept on talking about, `Geez, you could get drafted again'.

"I was working as a landscape gardener on pretty average money, and I started to think I'd like to get drafted again and play footy for money again."

By the end of the 2003 season, Tuck had been interviewed by several AFL clubs before Richmond picked him in the seventh round of the national draft, No. 73 overall.

But he struggled to get a game under coach Danny Frawley.

"My first season at Richmond was pretty ordinary," he said.

"I rolled up to training and I knew what it took, but it had advanced a lot more just in the couple of years I'd had off.

"My start at Richmond wasn't good. I think Danny Frawley's first impression of me was not a good one, and that led him to believe for most of the year I wasn't up to it."

As fate would have it, Frawley departed and was replaced by Wallace, a former Hawk who played a lot of football with Shane's father.

Wallace admitted that although it was a near thing, he wanted to take a punt on Tuck.

"From the first day I walked in the door, I wasn't sure which way I was going to go," Wallace said.

"Through the trade period we ended up with an extra bloke coming in, and that meant I had to cut one more off our list. It came down to Tim Fleming or Tucky because they were the only two who were uncontracted.

"I knew more about Tim than I did about Tucky, but basically the bottom line when I made a decision was with the age difference.

"If Tucky was going to make it, he was going to with all the kids we drafted, where Fleming's career was going to be over by the time those kids had matured. So I went with Shane in the hope he'd come through.

"The other point was when I first arrived at Richmond, there was no staff – no footy manager, no assistant coaches. It was just me going in trying to work out who I was going to pick up. There was only me and my PA in the whole place.

"But while I was getting organised, the first person in there every day was Tucky – doing weights, getting out and doing a bit of running," Wallace said.

"I thought, poo, he's a big, strong bull, he obviously wants it. I don't know enough about him to make a decision, so I'm not going to throw him out the door until I find out.

"He's done it all himself. All we did is give him opportunity. That's purely and simply where it stands."

From reluctant and uncertain to an example of what it takes to be an AFL top-liner is quite a metamorphosis, and Tuck is the first to admit it.

"Yes, it is a big transition, but I think being 24, my body is mature now," he said.

"I don't think I played any good footy until I was 21 at West Adelaide. It took me a long time to start playing well.

"It took until I was fully grown."

Tuck said going so close to being cut at the end of 2004 also made him realise there would never be a third chance.

"I really wanted to play league footy. I learned I'd just have to put in a big one and I had to have a good year or I'd be out the door. I didn't want to get delisted again," he said.

"I did everything I could – had a full pre-season and hardly missed a session. I didn't miss any of the pre-season games, and things just led on from there.

"I'm still learning. I've played 35 games now, and while there is still a lot to learn, I feel like I'm right, yeah. I feel like I fit in."

Watching the Tigers each week is Dad, who proudly acknowledges that Shane has done it – made the grade – his way.

"Probably the hardest thing was being my son at Hawthorn. That made it harder for him," Michael Tuck admitted.

"It's all credit to him, really. There's not a lot who get a second chance at it. There are a lot of kids who wouldn't mind having another go, but you actually have to be able to go and do it.

"I think what he appreciates is he's done it himself, not being at Hawthorn through me.

"He's his own man, really. He attacks the ball the way he wants to, he's got his own ability.

"One of his uncles, Peter, always said he could play, it was only a matter of time and if he got the opportunity or not. That's the best part of it.

"It doesn't matter about me any more. It's about him and the way he's going."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19419650%255E19742,00.html

Ox

Re: Shane Tuck - Tucking in (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 06:58:26 AM »
"My start at Richmond wasn't good. I think Danny Frawley's first impression of me was not a good one, and that led him to believe for most of the year I wasn't up to it."

Step away from the professional life Frawley,FFS !

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Shane Tuck's ear
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »
Having watched the replay (will do again I reckon ;D) I noticed that Tucky had one of his ears all taped up

What's the deal - it looked funny  ;D

:gotigers

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Tuck's Ear
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
Transmitter - wired for sound?  8)

If it was Fev, my guess would be to stop his half a brain from falling out.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tuck's Ear
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 07:34:38 PM »
Transmitter - wired for sound?  8)

Thought that myself  ;)

If it was Fev, my guess would be to stop his half a brain from falling out.

:thatsgold