Author Topic: Brent Harvey reveals the secret to beating Richmond (SEN)  (Read 901 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brent Harvey reveals the secret to beating Richmond (SEN)
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Harvey reveals the secret to beating Richmond

By SEN
9 July 2018

AFL games record holder Brent Harvey believes he knows how Richmond can be toppled.

The reigning premiers have taken all before them in a barnstorming season to date, sitting a game and percentage clear on top of the ladder after dispatching last year’s Grand Finalists Adelaide by 47 points on Friday night.

But despite their imperious form, Harvey believes the Tigers aren’t invincible just yet.

“To beat Richmond, you have to play one on one,” the North Melbourne great told SEN Afternoons.

“I can’t understand why teams continue to give them a spare in defence. That’s where they launch their scoring from, they all get back down and support, they get the spare, Nick Vlastuin or Reece Conca or Alex Rance, they intercept mark and then bang.

“No team in the competition is good enough to defend Richmond from half-back with the way they move the ball to the forward line.”

Harvey also believes an additional attribute is required to tame the red-hot Tigers: pace.

“I think you’ve got to play one on one to beat Richmond, and you’ve got to be a quick team to beat them on the turnover,” he said.

“70 odd percent of scores are directly from turnovers. If you are a quick team, you can get them on transition.”

Harvey outlined Port Adelaide as a team that can challenge Richmond in September, citing the speed of their ball movement as having the potential to trouble the league’s top dogs.

The Power defeated the Tigers by 14 points at the Adelaide Oval in Round 12, in their only clash of the season.

“Port Adelaide play a quick brand of football, that’s Ken Hinkley’s message,” Harvey said.

“For me, I think Port can really challenge them if everything goes well. Whether they can do it at the MCG is another question.”

Richmond face GWS at Spotless Stadium this Saturday night.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/09/harvey-reveals-the-secret-to-beating-richmond/

Lebowski

Re: Brent Harvey reveals the secret to beating Richmond (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
Even better, have always felt we’re a better one on one side.

And as for Port, speed and dynamic play aren’t synonymous with the way they play these days. They have a few plodders  in the side and try and play a contested brand of footy not dissimilar to Sydney. We will wipe the floor with them next time we meet, they don’t have the legspeed to go with us

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »
I’m surprised he didn’t think he’s be the answer in a forward pocket
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »
Ok, so to beat us you have to play one on one.

How do you actually do that? Talk is cheap, I'd like to know how you put it into practice.

I personally think that playing one on one is going to play into our hands. Our game plan forces teams to focus on us, rather than what they want to do. Our run and spread is first class, so play one on one with us at your peril.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »
I’m surprised he didn’t think he’s be the answer in a forward pocket

He didn’t want to state the obvious