Author Topic: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.  (Read 35852 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2018, 01:57:43 PM »
Can't wait to hear Big Tone defend his boys Grigg & Conca :shh
Get a clue mate...
Cannot stand Grigg or Conca..... or Bellis or Houli.

Happy for you to troll through my posts of any of those duds.

I reckon your mate has been gift his last game for the Tigers too....Just what I’m hearing   :shh

Gift his last game for what? What does that mean?

If you're talking about Brandon, yes both Brisbane & GC are interested but he's staying put. Still doing work on his house here and is a required player
Tell him to enjoy the VFL then.  :lol

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2018, 05:10:04 PM »
Beating pies twice without a few gun players gave a false illusion, but in reality they probably could have beaten us had they have had a full list.

I think we went away from the jovial relaxed set up of last year, and they couldn’t deal with the pressure in the end 

Signs were there for the last 2 months and I think going out in Straight sets in the vfl was a big loss.

Outgunned and outplayed and no one can be happy with that ending,  as it may never come around again for a long time.

Fair comment. We didn't go into the finals with any great momentum. It was only a matter of time when we would get beaten at the MCG. Collingwood completely outplayed us. Martin was clearly injured. Went in with wrong team selection. Butler should have been brought in. Next season need to focus on developing our younger players.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
Caddy was mugged whenever he went near the ball, but yeah he was still crap.  Jack Riewoldt was the only one who handled the pressure
Lots of people name their swords......

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #378 on: September 22, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
Caddy was mugged whenever he went near the ball, but yeah he was still crap.  Jack Riewoldt was the only one who handled the pressure

Credit to pies mate has to be given.Baffling tho after last season experience in big games.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »
Hope that Astbury coughed over any Magpie he was near.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #380 on: September 23, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
I know you can cherry pick isolated incidents from a game on TV but Nathan Brown showed a fair few 50/50 contests just from the first 10 mins of Friday night's loss that would embarrass a few of our players and summed up our night:

* Contest for the loose ball at HF and while we fumble (and cop an unlucky ricochet), Pendlebury gathers cleanly and turns out of traffic. Collingwood clear and go forward in space.

* A spill from a stoppage on the members wing towards the boundary side and Caddy makes a half-hearted attempt to chase after the footy allowing the Pies to gather easily and go forward.

* Edwards leads Sier to the ball at CHB but is easily pushed off the ball by Sier. Collingwood go inside 50.

* A loose footy at HF with Castagna closer to it than Adams but Adams comes charging in harder and wins it off a hesitant George. Collingwood clear and go forward in space.

When you see all these lame attempts at 50/50 contests in a short timeframe and early in the game, it's an indictment on where our heads were at collectively and that Collingwood were simply far more desperate, harder, hungrier and wanted it more on the night. A harsh lesson that no matter how good you are you can't drop off in doing the basics otherwise you'll pay big time as we did.

ps. Of course, Barrett could help himself to rub it in this morning: Richmond's season was a total failure; there's no guarantee they'll get back to challenging top 2 again; Neil Balme is a "liar" (re: Dusty).

dwaino

« Reply #381 on: September 23, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
* A loose footy at HF with Castagna closer to it than Adams but Adams coming charging in harder and wins it off a hestitant George. Collingwood clear and go forward in space.

Not just Castagna but I have been noticing this all season and has been in the back of my mind a lot. Last year we were hungrier, this year that hunger wasn't there. I still remember round one where Butler briefly pulled up to let a ball hit the ground before attacking it. My dad and I looked at each other and said that wouldn't have happened last September. Team selection aside, that hunger IMO was the difference on Friday night and hopefully it's a bit of fuel for the guys next season.

Can't speak for anyone else but I admit I didn't get as excited about the wins this season or was as upset about the losses and I often wondered if some players felt the same way after what we had done last year.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #382 on: September 23, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »
Watched the replay

Wish I hadn't

Players I thought were bad were worse
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: September 23, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »
Go West Coast, the Crimowoods are already rubbing it in.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What led to Richmond being unable to "handle the moment"? (SEN)
« Reply #384 on: September 23, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
What led to Richmond being unable to "handle the moment"?

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
23 Sep 2018

AFL Hall of Famer Terry Wallace said he had a feeling Collingwood could upset Richmond before the game.

Friday night’s Preliminary Final presented Richmond their first predicament of being outright favourites in a final – without the safety net of a double chance – in a very, very long time.

Wallace said he felt it was up to Collingwood to exploit that, and they most certainly did.

“I had a friend in the crowd and I said your one chance is to jump a side that’s only played one game in 26 days and spook them because the dynamic of the Richmond Football Club has never been the hot favourite in a final and been put under pressure and known what that was like to deal with,” Wallace told the AFL Nation pregame show.

“I thought the only way that Collingwood had a chance was to see what would happen if they were put under that pressure and they didn’t handle the moment at all.

“That’s taking zero away from Collingwood who took it right up to them and put them under so much pressure, but I’ve never seen the Richmond side make so many mistakes, fumble the ball so much and just did not handle the moment.

“They didn’t handle the physical pressure that Collingwood put on them, but I don’t think they handled the moment of that dynamic either.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/22/what-led-to-richmond-being-unable-to-handle-the-moment/

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »
Club needs to bunker down.

Get the player/players required to evolve.

How will the game look with the changes next year.

Still burning inside, this will pass.

I believe the discussions were still had at 2am into Saturday Morning.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2018, 11:07:03 PM »
ROBBO - WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Herald-Sun
24 Sep 2018

1. RICHMOND’S KICKING

The quick scrub kick forward has worked for the Tigers for almost two seasons, but the problem on Friday night, among many, was Richmond didn’t get any benefit. The team recorded a kicking efficiency of just 52 per cent. The list of errant kickers makes for horrible reading; Dion Prestia (25 per cent efficiency), Kane Lambert (30), Josh Caddy (33), Jack Graham (33), Jayden Short (43) and Trent Cotchin (50). Collingwood’s efficiency was 69 per cent which meant it controlled the outside game. The Pies won uncontested possessions by 61 and took 49 more marks than Richmond.

2. MARTIN AND ASTBURY

Dustin Martin (corkie) looked battle-weary and Astbury (ill) lacked his usual the calmness and awareness and lost Cox too many times. The hand over against Martin worked a treat. In the middle, he played on Greenwood who kept him to just seven disposals and when he was deep forward Howe gave up just five. Astbury declared himself available and simply had a ‘mare’. That happens and clearly he wasn’t alone as the following highlights.

3. MAYBE DENIS PAGAN WAS RIGHT

In early September, premiership coach Pagan said he held fears the Tigers might have got ahead of themselves. “I think the Tigers have had a long while to think about premierships,” Pagan said. “I’m sure their players would have been thinking about premierships probably from about four or five weeks ago when no other side in the competition had the opportunity to think about it. It’s going to be exciting to see what Damien (Hardwick) does to get their minds on the job and play in the present and not get involved in the future.” The Tigers won the first final against Hawthorn and capitulated against the Magpies after their week off. “I know people will say I’m a silly old fool for talking like this but on the Saturdays off I used to say to our guys ‘the side isn’t finalised, bring your mouthguards, it’s going to be on for young and old’. I think the players thrived on competition.’’ For whatever reason, the Tigers didn’t have their customary edge. Maybe Denis was right.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/super-rankings/mark-robinson-looks-at-the-highlights-and-lowlights-from-preliminary-final-week/news-story/b21db5a0e0a317b04e0f4a5519ad6281

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2018, 11:16:26 PM »

Herald-Sun
24 Sep 2018

1. RICHMOND’S KICKING

The quick scrub kick forward

Hey, Bloke, it's called a groovy grubber.. :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #388 on: September 24, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Have heard
On top of dusty and astbury:
Prestia played with 4 broken/cracked ribs
Conca and Lamberts' ankles were stuffed
We had 4 players playing with the flu'
Can anyone confirm that?

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #389 on: September 24, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »

Herald-Sun
24 Sep 2018

1. RICHMOND’S KICKING

The quick scrub kick forward

Hey, Bloke, it's called a groovy grubber.. :shh

Correct, it's an official stat..... :shh :shh

Have heard
On top of dusty and astbury:
Prestia played with 4 broken/cracked ribs
Conca and Lamberts' ankles were stuffed