Author Topic: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.  (Read 35895 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rumour: Eagles will play their prelim before ours [confirmed false]
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:54 AM »
The Herald-Sun is running with how unfair it is to Collingwood  :nopity

THE winner of this week’s blockbuster semi-final between Collingwood and GWS will receive only a six day break before taking on the Tigers in a preliminary final.

For the Magpies, that would cap off a horror finals schedule, with the club already handed a seven-day break on the back of a trip to Perth.

Hawthorn, who finished one spot lower than the Magpies, will enjoy an eight day break before taking on Melbourne on Friday.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-finals-fixture-check-out-the-finals-schedule-for-weeks-two-and-three/news-story/662531b0d15068a1c4419153f6147d05

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIX-DAY BREAK BEFORE A PRELIMINARY FINAL - 2000-2018

SEASON   CLUB    OPP   OPP BREAK  VENUE  RESULT

2012        Coll      Syd     13 days       ANZ       L26
2016        Syd     Geel     14 days       MCG      W37
2018    Coll/GWS  Rich    15 days       MCG          ?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-09/fixture-made-even-tougher-for-tiger-opponents

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Eddie wants the Prelim Finals reversed (afl site)
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
Might as well give us this now 🏆
AFL done Tiges huge favour
Let’s hope Pies/GWS is a bruising affair

:lol

Right on cue. Eddie isn't happy  :sleep.

Eddie McGuire has called on the AFL to change its fixture for the preliminary finals after saying the League had "cocked up" its scheduling.

"Correct me if we were wrong, but didn’t we just get told the reason we had a Thursday [night] set-up was to ensure that every team would get a seven-day break?" McGuire said on Triple M on Monday morning.

"It's mitigated by the fact that in doing so they wanted to make sure the top team in Richmond quite rightfully gets an extra day [off]. But you can't change horses mid-stream, because it doesn't make any sense. If that was the case then Collingwood should have played West Coast on Thursday or Friday night.

"We know they couldn't do it on Thursday night because it was a school day so that's fair enough, but a Friday night game starting at six o'clock over there which is what happens every other Friday night you play in Perth, would've worked out.

"You can't make a rule on the one week and then change it going into the preliminary finals. They have completely cocked this up, the AFL."

The AFL's fixture manager Travis Auld defended the move, saying the League had prioritised the Tigers given they finished on top of the ladder at the end of the home and away season.

"There's a couple of principles we adopt and the first one is the minor premier, should they win the first week, they earnt the right to the first preliminary final on the Friday night," Auld said.

McGuire said West Coast, and the winner of the semi-final between Melbourne and Hawthorn, would be disadvantaged by the decision to play the Eagles' preliminary final on Saturday night.

"It's just wrong. You guys have got this one wrong. If you flip the preliminary finals, everybody gets a seven-day break. And the teams coming back from Western Australia can come back on the Friday night on the red eye [flight] if they want or come back on the Saturday morning," McGuire said in a heated exchange with Auld.

"You've landed on the wrong spot. You've got two weeks to change it. Why don't you have another meeting this morning and have another look. It won't happen? Why, because the fixture's been so good all year? How about we fix the fixture for the finals and make it even for everyone to have ago at winning the flag.

"For god's sake mate, you're going to disadvantage three teams going into a Grand Final for no reason."

Auld said the AFL would not be changing its fixture, adding it was in discussions with partner airline Virgin Australia to ensure Hawthorn or Melbourne would be able to fly back to Victoria on Saturday after the preliminary final against West Coast.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-10/afl-cocked-up-finals-fixture-says-mcguire

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Eddie wants the Prelim Finals reversed (afl site)
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »
"It's mitigated by the fact that in doing so they wanted to make sure the top team in Richmond quite rightfully gets an extra day [off]. But you can't change horses mid-stream, because it doesn't make any sense. If that was the case then Collingwood should have played West Coast on Thursday or Friday night.

"We know they couldn't do it on Thursday night because it was a school day so that's fair enough, but a Friday night game starting at six o'clock over there which is what happens every other Friday night you play in Perth, would've worked out.
In fairness to Eddie, he has a point here. The Eagles/Pies game should have been on the Friday night. They usually have the Qualifying finals before the Elimination finals. Mind you though if the Pies had won their QF or finished on top of the ladder themselves then Eddie wouldn't be complaining.

If you flip the preliminary finals, everybody gets a seven-day break.
But that would disadvantage Richmond who earned the few advantages of finishing top on the ladder.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
Ed kept factoring the flight home for the prelim, except if both Richmond and Eagles win then that would mean the Eagles have the extra night recovery so we're being looked after as a best-case-scenario. He is being presumptuous. If he didn't have a horse in the race he wouldn't be so fired up. He should be just be thinking about this week first.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
You want a break win your match next time sookin Eddie, or finish 1st or 2nd, and I don't mean on the umpire's free kick ladder.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2018, 06:33:03 PM »
AFL has confirmed today we're playing our Prelim on the Friday night  :thumbsup.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1039387406699360256

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
By the way, Brendon Gale was asked about the Prelim fixtur last night and he said it would be against usual practice if we as the top side didn't play the first Prelim Final on the Friday night just as Adelaide did last year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Now the date has been confirmed, I've merged both Prelim threads.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Just checked and in the past 10 years the team which finished minor premiers have always played on the Friday night prelim regardless of whether they win their qualifying final or not. The only exception being 2012 where Sydney and you guessed it Collingwood who finished 3rd and 4th played on the Friday night. Although that setup meant Collingwood played in the prelim off a 6 day break while Adelaide had an 8 day break in the other prelim against hawthorn so not sure whether that proves a point either way......

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
And the reason the top side playes the prelim on the Friday night is because if they win they get the longest break before the GF.
Why should a team that finished lower get the longer break before the GF?

I just don’t get how this is even a question

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
I hope they belt the snot out of each other, especially Toby Greene
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
Sheez I'd love for pies to beat GWS this week! Not for ticketing obviously, but I think Collinwood are no good! Easy run and have beaten up on no one! I always said they would go in str8 sets because they are coming up against quality sides! Weagles were terrible on the weekend and still were a 5 goal better side, Freo the game before almost got over the line!  Granted injuries play a part but I'd almost be locking in a GF spot if we play Collingwood.
GWS on the other hand, if a good outfit comes to play and especially after beating Pies at the G it could be a hard task.

Bring on the PIES!! PLEASE!!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Its interesting isnt it. id say you are probably right, though the small chance at losing to the pies and delivering them a chance at a flag doesnt sit well with me and the anxiety will slowly creep in.

I have been pretty relaxed all year no matter who we play

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
I would love RFC VS GWS again and maybe this time Deledio can wish congrats to Cotchin and Co and watch the grand final

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
The AFL has got its wish. Good luck getting a ticket.

Friday, September 21
First preliminary final
Richmond v Collingwood at the MCG, 7.50pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/who-plays-who-in-week-three-of-the-finals