Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 201298 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2019, 11:20:37 PM »
Amazing for an 18 year old to be so composed, clean and tough as nails. Loved his good old fashioned hip and shoulder on Viney. All fair and Syd sure didn't miss him.

It’s up there with the best 4 first games I’ve ever seen from a Tiger, Jack Ross isn’t far off!
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »
Highlight reel tonight was amazing.

Speccie, torpedo out of defense, bone jarring bump on the Melbourne self confessed tough guy captain to name a few.... :bow :bow
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2019, 01:33:16 AM »
‘They’ll be building a statue’: New Tigers cult hero Stack arrives with a bang

April 24, 2019 11:22pm
Anna Harrington
FOX SPORTS

Jack Viney looked like he couldn’t believe it.

The bullocking Melbourne midfielder was making his way along the MCG flank when he was left sprawling by the full force of a Tiger playing just his fourth game of AFL football.

If Sydney Stack hadn’t already announced himself to the AFL world with a superb flying mark earlier in the game, he’d made a name for himself with his crunching hit in the fourth term of the Tigers’ win on Anzac Day eve.

“It (the bump) was unbelievable, you sort of heard it before you saw it, he was that quick,” Richmond coach Damien Hardwick told reporters post-match.

“And we all know how tough Jack Viney is too and both those boys aren’t going to take a backwards step.

“And it was funny, we were probably summing up Sydney’s game – he’s slowly become a fan favourite, he’s taken a hanger, he did a massive bump and he’s kicked a torpedo.

“They’ll be building a statue of him across the road, shortly, the Richmond faithful.”

But if Stack had announced himself to the footy world that day, he’d made an impression on all and sundry at Tigerland long before that.

Only signed as a supplemental list rookie in February, having been overlooked in the national and rookie draft, Stack kicked on from earning a Tiger contract to making his debut – then making a serious impression.

“I suppose he’s (taken) everyone by surprise,” Tigers star Shane Edwards told Foxfooty.com.au post-match.

“You don’t really expect a first-year player to play like he does in such a crucial position – he plays in defence and not high-up, he plays on a lot of players.

“Let alone, he didn’t even get drafted or rookied … his composure and skills under pressure are amazing.

“We knew early in the pre-season how tough he was and a hit like he did tonight you don’t see very often nowadays in the game and he just attacks the ball so hard that he was bound to do something like that eventually.

“But it’s the skills under pressure and just how switched on he is when he doesn’t have the ball is really, really impressive and I can’t wait to see what sort of player he becomes.”

Stack had 12 disposals, three marks, three inside-50s, three rebound-50s and four tackles against the Demons – but his influence went well beyond stats.

In a similar vein, it’s the confidence and personality of the young Tiger that’s won over all and sundry at Richmond – not just his footballing ability.

“Well he’s one of the most confident kids that I’ve ever seen walk in the door,” Edwards said.

“One of his first days, straightaway he connected his iPhone to all our Bluetooth speakers and normally you don’t really touch the speakers unless you’ve played about 10 years – so that was a sign that he was probably going to be alright on the big stage.

“And he’s just so open – he’s had a few hardships in his life and the fact that he’s battled through all that to make it here, it’s almost like this is easy compared to that, so he’s so impressive.”

And the type of music Stack blasted through those speakers?

“It was just trap music and some of the dirtiest beats I’ve ever heard,” Edwards said with a rueful grin.

Meanwhile, Hardwick – who had the pleasure of hosting Stack early in his Richmond days – reminisced on another classic memory of the young gun.

“He wasn’t too bad. I remember my daughter had some friends over and she made like one of those plates with salami and all that on … and cheeses and that sort of thing,” Hardwick said.

“And the next day I see him out the back around the pool and he’s got the same thing by himself.

“It’s like he’s just one of those sort of guys but he’s playing some really good footy at the moment, he’s very grounded as well – he knows what makes him a good player.”

Hardwick also confirmed the “relentless” character often called him to check what time training was on.

The Richmond coach credited Stack’s early success to the open and welcoming approach at Tigerland.

“Relentless, relentless he is,” Hardwick said.

“But our players love him, he’s that sort of character and he’s got a real persona about him in the footy club and we’re very, very fortunate at this footy club that we embrace those type of characters and we allow them to be who they are.

“Are they annoying every now and then? Yeah, but the reality is, they are who they are.

“And that’s one thing Trent (Cotchin) and his leaders have really stood for, about embracing all personalities and diversities and once again, we feel that gets the best out of all our players and we’re very lucky to have him.”

And based off four short games, the AFL world could be lucky to watch Stack for a long time to come.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-richmonds-new-cult-hero-sydney-stack-arrives-with-a-bang-bumping-jack-viney-and-taking-a-screamer/news-story/a989756ce142b2de457a19dbacd39428

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2019, 01:52:56 AM »
SYDNEY? MORE LIKE BYRON

Sam Landsberger
Herald-Sun
25 April 2019

Jack Viney won’t forget Sydney Stack anytime soon. In fact, the co-captain will probably wake up with Stack’s imprint on his right arm after a hip-and-shoulder for the ages.

Stack picked off Viney with a perfect bump to start the last quarter that was straight out of the Byron Pickett playbook.

Lucky for him Stack weighs just 72kg, although that lighter frame helped him soar over Tim Smith for a second-quarter speccy. Stack, who has moved out of Damien Hardwick’s house and into Xavier Clarke’s, was overlooked by all 18 clubs (including by Richmond five times) despite his obvious talent last year.

But, since winning his chance under the new pre-season list rules, the West Australian has grabbed it and run.

His cult status was confirmed with a roaring applause when he game to the bench in the final term. A credit to Stack, the Tigers and the AFL’s new rules.

“I’m just giving my best effort out there and putting my body on the line for the team and just playing my role,” Stack told Channel 7 after the match.

“I just feel like I have something to prove missing out on the draft and showing the other clubs how good I am. That’s about it really.”

Source: Herald-Sun

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:06 AM »
Amazing for an 18 year old to be so composed, clean and tough as nails. Loved his good old fashioned hip and shoulder on Viney. All fair and Syd sure didn't miss him.

It’s up there with the best 4 first games I’ve ever seen from a Tiger, Jack Ross isn’t far off!

Same. He brings a lot of joy watching this kid doesn't he. He is incredible and so calm and clean with ball in hand.

The bump wow
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2019, 01:59:35 AM »
Highlight reel tonight was amazing.

Speccie, torpedo out of defense, bone jarring bump on the Melbourne self confessed tough guy captain to name a few.... :bow :bow
All in a night's work  :thumbsup

Stack highlights: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-04-24/round-6-stack-lights-up-anzac-eve

https://twitter.com/WLudbey/status/1121036920430010370

Photo: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia

Photo: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »
I didn’t think it possible but he got better again.

Easily the best start to a career I have ever seen.

His fist 4 games have been incredible.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
Great game. Well done to him.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
Fantastic effort from a kid who started his career “ from the back of the grid “ ..No favours , no private school scholarships etc
Plenty of hurdles in his life and has reached the elite level
Fingers crossed he has a 10 year career 🐯👍

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
Fingers crossed he has a 10 year career 🐯👍

At Richmond

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
I didn’t think it possible but he got better again.

Easily the best start to a career I have ever seen.

His fist 4 games have been incredible.
He is great but Jack Graham's first 5 games take a bit to get past

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2019, 01:49:33 PM »
Syd is a better player than Jack Graham. Syd has lots of tricks in the kit bag. Going to be one helluva player if he fulfils potential.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »
Wow. How good is he. We all loved the specky, the hip & shoulder, the barrel, but I also like his sure one grab hands. It doesn’t matter if the ball is high or on the ground, last night it seemed whilst we were watching players consistently fumbling the ball time after time, Stack just grabbed it. 
He doesn’t flinch, he isn’t scared, he likes to take risks and he also listens to his senior teammates that make sure he is standing in the right spots and keeping to team structures.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »

:shh :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.