Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 201279 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »
Stack ‘was calling himself Byron Pickett’

CHRIS CAVANAGH,
Herald Sun
25 April 2019

He was overlooked by all 18 clubs during the draft period, “cleaned up” vice-captain Jack Riewoldt at a Sunshine Coast training camp in January and is said to have made himself physically ill multiple times during pre-season as he gave his all to impress Richmond in search of a spot on the club’s list.

Last night, another chapter was written in the remarkable tale of Sydney Stack, who is quickly taking on cult hero status at the Tigers.

Stack, who doesn’t turn 19 until Sunday, wore a mouth guard with his last name written on it last night — and it’s lucky he did.

The rookie cleaned up Melbourne co-captain Jack Viney — who weighs in 12kg heavier than Stack — with a bone-crunching bump during the last quarter, which only won him more admirers after an impressive first month of his AFL career.

“He was calling himself Byron Pickett after the game there,” Riewoldt told Fox Footy last night.

“He cleaned me up on the Sunshine Coast, actually.

“He tried to take on Mummy (Greater Western Sydney’s Shane Mumford) in his first game and Mummy sort of chased him for a little bit.

“That (bump on Viney) is obviously a big hit in a big game with a lot of people watching it but it’s nothing new to his game. It’s something we weren’t expecting when we saw him. He’s light of frame.

“All you ask for is them (young players) to come in, put their head over the ball and play their role in the team and those guys (Stack and Jack Ross) are doing it to a T at the moment.”

Western Australia under-18 coach Peter Sumich rated Stack a top-10 draft pick last year and believed the young star’s off-field issues which scared off clubs were “an easy fix”.

Stack eventually won his chance under new pre-season list rules and lived with Richmond coach Damien Hardwick during his audition.

“All the clubs knew he had a few issues off the field but he wasn’t a kid that went out and got drunk and carried on or anything like that,” Sumich said on SEN radio this morning.

“It was just a minor thing in my opinion which the AFL inner sanctum and clubs, it was an easy fix in my opinion because once he was going to be in an AFL club all that would have been fixed up very easily because his attendance and his training and all that would have been an easy one.

“We pushed hard for him to get a job which he quit, or virtually got the sack from, because of his attendance. So his off-field in that area was fairly poor but we were working really hard with him and it wasn’t his fault a lot really because his upbringing, he’d come from Northern which is about an hour and a half north of Perth and no family, living in three or four houses.”

Sumich, a two-time West Coast premiership player, said the bump on Viney last night had come as no surprise to him either, rating Stack one of the toughest indigenous players he had ever seen.

“Stephen Michael back over here in Perth, a Western Australian, he was one of the toughest indigenous players ever to go around,” Sumich said.

“I watched him, I was fortunate enough to play one game with him. I rate Sydney on that par in toughness. I’d never seen a kid go through and if it’s a ground ball, he’ll just go through and try and get it and whoever’s in his way he just keeps going.

“Then on top of that he’s got silky skills, which most indigenous players do have.”

Stack’s manager Paul Peos told the Herald Sun this week that Stack had “a real knack for the occasion”.

He wasn’t wrong.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmonds-sydney-stack-making-waves-in-the-afl-calling-himself-byron-pickett/news-story/039168b8f281ecc714768963c6f52181

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »
The bump, the speccy & the torp were all great but I think this was actually my favourite piece of play from him last night:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-richmond-sydney-stack.1209410/page-90#post-60536841

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2019, 12:09:55 AM »
The bump, the speccy & the torp were all great but I think this was actually my favourite piece of play from him last night:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-richmond-sydney-stack.1209410/page-90#post-60536841

Yep. At the ground we were all gobsmacked at his timing and evasiveness in that clash......  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:54 AM »
As per the article above, Peter Sumich rated Stack the best WA prospect in last year's draft.

He kept spruiking Stack when everyone else fell off him.

So maybe we should have a good look at another kid who he rated very highly, Tyron Smallwood.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2019, 12:33:21 AM »
If we just go for talent in the mid-season draft I'd go for Smallwood or Marlion Pickett ... club said they probably won't use the pick though as there's a slight chance Rance might be fit again for finals....which I reckon is just wishful thinking ....... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2019, 03:18:19 AM »
Doesn’t stack up: Why cult hero went undrafted

Sam Edmund,
Herald Sun
26 April 2019

The final straw for one club came when Sydney Stack failed to show up for work.

Stack had last year started a bank traineeship in Perth, but his sudden no-show was enough for this club’s recruiting team.

“You’re just thinking, ‘Gee whiz mate, footy is a grind. You can’t just not turn up whenever you feel like it’,” the recruiting chief said.

“You obviously start asking: ‘How will he go meeting the requirements and punctuality at AFL level?”

In a year in which Stack was turfed from the AFL Academy, kicked out of the WA State Academy, stood down for the first game of the under 18 championships and lost his licence, AFL clubs assessing his draft worth didn’t need Sherlock Holmes to discover his wayward nature.

Despite possessing an on-field talent many clubs rated as first-round worthy, they were outweighed by the off-field problems.

It goes some way to explaining the now inconceivable — how Richmond’s four-game, 18-year-old cult-hero could be ignored in last year’s national and rookie drafts.

The Tigers themselves didn’t take him with any of their four national draft picks and then overlooked him with their five rookie draft picks before choosing the ‘try before you buy’ approach in the new supplemental selection period.

Rival recruiters contacted by the Herald Sun praised Richmond for taking the risk they were never going to.

“I still remember when he left our interview thinking, ‘S. t i’d love to take a punt on this kid’. You realised footy could change his life, but we didn’t have the foundations set up enough to support him off-field,” one talent spotter said.

“It’s not a cheap exercise relocating a kid and you’re trying to evaluate where will they live and who will they mix with. There’s a lot that goes into it.

“Full credit to Richmond … but keep in mind they’ve got 100,000 members so budget isn’t such a big deal. For other clubs you’re weighing up risk versus reward.

“You hope it does all hold together because if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid. He’s not going to become a builder or something like that because he lacks the discipline.”

One club’s list manager said: “He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field, but there was never any doubting his IQ on-field.

“You have to be able to sit back and ask, ‘Does the talent stack up and is the off-field stuff going to affect the on-field?

“You then have to assess your own club. Have we got the resources to give this a chance?

“This is where Richmond have done really well. They’ve clearly put things in place to minimise that risk.”

Incredibly, Damien Hardwick took Stack under his roof in December and for a week in January. He now lives with former Saint and Lion and development coach Xavier Clarke.

“It was massive for ‘Dimma’ to take him in,” one recruiter said.

“Daniel Rioli was completely different. He’s got a good sense of humour and is quite cheeky, whereas Sydney was a bit of a hard-arse … and didn’t trust many people and you can’t blame him for that because that’s what he’d grown up with.”

One recruiter who had followed Stack’s journey said idle time had been the danger.

“He comes from a really tough background, but during the footy season he always had focus. When there was no footy was the big worry,” he said.

“But perhaps the only way he was going to make it was how Richmond did it.”

DOESN’T STACK UP

AFL Academy

Not wanted

WA State Academy

Dumped, then reinstated

National Draft

Ignored

Rookie Draft

Overlooked

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/how-sydney-stack-went-from-being-ignored-in-two-drafts-last-year-to-cult-hero-status-in-four-games/news-story/810cef6a6f18d0553b3fd2f8810fcba5

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Very positive article.

My favourite parts:

"He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field"

"if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid"

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »
that article is disgraceful.

How do people get away with writing that garbage. lets let millions of people know what some think of the kid.

Sam Edmund you are pathetic and i dont care who he quoted. Garbage

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »

You simply cannot teach that.
The handball over the top for a player to run onto was a thing of beauty.
They call boxing the sweet science and soccer the beautiful game, but when you see plays like that, you see why we've got those sports covered.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
That was a beautiful piece of play by Stack. He could have given the handball to Grimes at least twice before that but he had the presence to wait and allow Grimes to get free. And then to put the handball so Grimes did not have to break free. Masterclass

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »
Very positive article.

My favourite parts:

"He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field"

"if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid"

I think it is a pathetic article

But ....

the 2 things the 2 quotes you've highlighted wayne show to me at least

- is how far we've come as a club in that we were willing to take this kid on and back our ability and culture to get the best out of him; and
- how gutless (cowardly) other clubs were (are) in not wanting to take a risk and taking the easy way out...

Well done Tiges; you've done us PROUD again  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column today.

IF ... you remember back to the 1980s, specifically Kevin Sheedy's pet project obsession with the regularly-criticised Kevin Walsh ...

THEN ... we reckon we've got an even bigger coach-player obsession right now - Dimma's with the young man every club didn't want, Sydney Stack. Sheedy got all doe-eyed when talking about Walsh. Dimma gets borderline teary over Stack. Love it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-26/sliding-doors-round-six

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »
@10NewsFirstPER always knew he had a STACK of talent - here's a look back at @ScubaStv story on @Richmond_FC Sydney Stack pre draft 2018.

📺🔟🎙️📽️ @TimGossage

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Lachy_Reid/status/1121232146885009409

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
Story of the year for me this kid.

He plays the game like most of us want to see it played.

I hope the fairytale for us and more importantly this kid continues.

The best start to a career I have ever seen.