Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 201189 times)

Broadsword

Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #975 on: July 21, 2022, 09:32:13 AM »
If we hired an individual mentor-coach for every player we'd have 40-some coaches.

That's hardly sustainable. Let's see if Geelong win a premiership. Something's rotten in their culture and that's why it hasn't happened for them. Stengle might be further proof positive of that rather than a mark against us and Stack.

How many of our premiership guys came off rookie lists, mid-season drafts, late picks, etc? (Yes I know we had a top 6 of generational talent.)

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Broadsword

« Reply #976 on: July 21, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
This is the thing. Who are the assistants helping this kid? Ivan Maric?
I'd wager there are few more highly regarded internally at Richmond than big Ivan. Before we were winning premierships we needed a complete overhaul and by all accounts he--before Cotchin--drove the change. pee on him if you will but he's a Tiger legend in my eyes. Unlike Deledio he didn't cry about just missing out on the dynasty either. He stuck it out (didn't jump ship) laid the foundation and reaped the quiet satisfaction of a job well done--shared in the younger players' success. He's as good a mentor as we're likely to have available to any young player.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #977 on: July 21, 2022, 09:38:41 AM »
Yeah yeah

What did the cats do with Stengel as he was putting whatever up his nose? They got Betts as apparently they have heaps of cash and we don’t  :lol

This is the thing. Who are the assistants helping this kid? Teague/Ivan Maric?

Over at Geelong Scott goes right we have a good player so lets get Betts in so who do we get?

I wouldn’t listen to Teague either as he is hopeless.

We have become complacent after 3 flags. We had players like Hewitt or Lipinski available for a straight swap of George, but we did nothing.

You reap what you sow.

His had a few mentors poor excuses you make has had Xavier Clarke and senior players and don't forget we have the best indigenous system in the afl.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #978 on: July 21, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »
Well they have won 3 flags have they not and are considered a dynasty in recent times?

Let’s see what happens with stack. I’m tipping he ain’t going to sail off in this sunset like George will.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #979 on: July 21, 2022, 11:29:04 AM »
This should be Edward's and Houli's job - mentoring our minority boys.

As for Stengle maybe he needed to grow up, maybe we didn't have him at the right time for our club and Crows was clearly the wrong place for him too. He might have been successful with us if we had him the last 5 years.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #980 on: July 21, 2022, 11:37:24 AM »

Yeah yeah

What did the cats do with Stengel as he was putting whatever up his nose? They got Betts as apparently they have heaps of cash and we don’t  :lol

Umm you are aware that Eddie wanted to stay in a development role at Carlton but umm..er... they couldn't afford it due to the soft cap

So he went to Geelong. So how did they do that? Gee I don't know

Let's see... Scarlett and Knights both senior assistants left and were replaced with less experienced assistants and the beefed up development. So wow, what they saved on 2 senior blokes they spread over 3 newbies

Go figure  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #981 on: July 21, 2022, 12:32:42 PM »
You seem to have all the facts about every club WP, though when it comes to ours you tell us to take Balmy with a grain of salt.

I believe what I see and despite our impressive flags we have now gone back to embarrasing ourselves. With our the list demographic I don’t see any improvement for 2 years.

As I said I am eagerly waiting to see how stack pans out. No one can tell me he is worse than some of the efforts we have seen lately.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #982 on: July 21, 2022, 11:12:30 PM »
Don't think they will have to cut him as i reckon he will ask for a trade. Reckon two WA clubs are quietly watching this pan out.
Also think others who are not in the coaches book will look for opportunity elsewhere blokes like RC-D Ross Miller spring straight to mind.

Also they are not all the same some thrive on training and plenty of others find it a huge chore.
I also think there has been a downside to the success once in you stay in despite how mediocre they perform at seniors. Blokes in the two's see this and say wahy should i work hard they won't pick me anyway.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #983 on: July 22, 2022, 12:06:55 PM »
Stack has more natural talent in his left pinky than Aarts and Castagna combined, but he plays like an individual, picks and chooses his contests and is a handful off-field. That's why he stays in the twos. No problem if he goes elsewhere next year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
You seem to have all the facts about every club WP, though when it comes to ours you tell us to take Balmy with a grain of salt.

What are you on about "you tell us to take Balmy with a grain of salt". What exactly does that mean

I've actually said a number of times that people should actually talk to Balmey to understand the impact and how the club managed the soft cap cuts.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 04:21:06 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2022, 02:54:49 PM »
Club has done so much and gone over and beyond for him his dedication has been there at times every preseason his always behind.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2022, 02:59:12 PM »
Stack is immature .. some kids are 22 going on 17 .. some are 18 going on 25

We know which category Sydney falls into .. when the penny drops he could be absolutely anything .. top 5 at the club isn’t impossible

Truly hope we persist for one more year .. or could be come back in a week or two for some late season heroics ??

People forget how immature Buddy was early in his career and how he needed minders .. it doesn’t come easily to all the kids in the AFL system

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #987 on: July 22, 2022, 03:59:36 PM »

We know which category Sydney falls into .. when the penny drops he could be absolutely anything .. top 5 at the club isn’t impossible

Truly hope we persist for one more year .. or could be come back in a week or two for some late season heroics ??

People forget how immature Buddy was early in his career and how he needed minders .. it doesn’t come easily to all the kids in the AFL system

Buddy also kicked a lot of goals and showed consistent + explosive scoring talent, average 1+ goals in his first year then 2+ then 3+ then 4+. Kicked about 250 goals in his first 4 years.

After Sydney's first 4 years he'll have 30+ games,.no Brownlow votes, and his best footy will be 3 years in the rear vision mirror.

I see the talent also but no dedication and no indication that he will be able to continue to perform in coming years.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #988 on: July 22, 2022, 04:04:38 PM »

Buddy also kicked a lot of goals and showed consistent + explosive scoring talent, average 1+ goals in his first year then 2+ then 3+ then 4+. Kicked about 250 goals in his first 4 years.

After Sydney's first 4 years he'll have 30+ games,.no Brownlow votes, and his best footy will be 3 years in the rear vision mirror.

I see the talent also but no dedication and no indication that he will be able to continue to perform in coming years.

Agree Andyy .. I wasn't referring to Buddy on-field .. was more the off field behaviour and obvious immaturity ..

Sydney has things you can't teach though .. toughness, courage, physical attributes etc

It's still there, and while I agree it's in the rearview, I believe that when the penny drops he can be anything

Just hope that firstly it does, and secondly, that it's with us ... talent like his at the low salary cap number don't come along often .. for me it's a pure gamble, but at a low cost and with potential enormous upside

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #989 on: July 22, 2022, 04:22:58 PM »

A bit like Stengle at Club number 3?