Author Topic: How did we all rate our 2018 recruiting effort?  (Read 3630 times)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: How did we all rate our 2018 recruiting effort?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 11:02:20 PM »
If we're including trades then I would have preferred to trade in Roughead for Lloyd as it would have given us both the tall defender and second ruck I think we need.
But the money may have been the deciding factor.

The draft was good with the only alternative being I would have taken Fort (204cm, 99kg) as the ruck rather than Turner.
But the recruiters may have not thought he was much chop.

The rookie was a worry.
I would have taken Sweet (202, 107) rather than Aarts who I don't rate as an AFL player.
Maybe again, they don't rate him.

It is a problem when we seemingly don't rate Roughhead but Collingwood do.
Same with Fort and Geelong.
Same with Sweet and Footscray.

IMO our need is greater than all those other clubs but we chose to go with either nothing (the Lloyd pick), an light winger and an ordinary VFL forward flanker.
Funnily ehough I do rate what I've seen of English.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »
If we're including trades then I would have preferred to trade in Roughead for Lloyd as it would have given us both the tall defender and second ruck I think we need.
But the money may have been the deciding factor.

The draft was good with the only alternative being I would have taken Fort (204cm, 99kg) as the ruck rather than Turner.
But the recruiters may have not thought he was much chop.

The rookie was a worry.
I would have taken Sweet (202, 107) rather than Aarts who I don't rate as an AFL player.
Maybe again, they don't rate him.

It is a problem when we seemingly don't rate Roughhead but Collingwood do.
Same with Fort and Geelong.
Same with Sweet and Footscray.

IMO our need is greater than all those other clubs but we chose to go with either nothing (the Lloyd pick), an light winger and an ordinary VFL forward flanker.
Funnily ehough I do rate what I've seen of English.
Turner is one of the youngest players drafted. How can you rate him now? He is an endurance beast and will be an elite runner for years to come. We are short in that area too as Grigg, our current link man, is coming to the end of his career.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 11:27:41 PM »
Rightly or wrongly, the club obviously feels comfortable enough with our ruck stocks.

We had plenty of opportunities to address our apparent lack of ruck depth and didn't. Indeed, we still can but look like getting Stack instead.

I personally think that Stack is a bit of a luxury. I posted else where that on talent alone, I think he is a better prosect than Hill, and I thought he would be drafted higher than the pick 40+ he was slated to go at. In the end, he slipped through the draft altogether. People have mentioned off field baggage, and he does have some, but so does Hill so to get Stack after the draft if it happens is a good get.

But realistically, I don't really see the need Stack fits. With Tom Lynch now in our forward line, I feel we might have drafted a kid or two who could play across HFF and deliver the ball well inside 50, like a Sheds with better footskills. It is a bit of a niche role, but there were/are still a couple of kids who could fill the role really well.

I personally would like to have a look at Tyron Smallwood. He has fantastic foot skills, great goal sense, a great footy brain and is a very hard player for his size. Like Shane Edwards, he also has great vision and if you look at highlights of various WA u/18 players, he is often involved in the play when he is not the subject of the footage. Injuries cruelled his chances this year, most notably a broken jaw which costs him a few U/18 games, so he is an under the radar type with a lot of upside.

Jordan Clark will be a good player for the Cats, but he is close to being AFL level ready. I reckon Smallwood has more potential to improve than Clark does. A couple of years on an AFL list and you'd have a very good player in Smallwood I suspect.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 02:37:44 AM »
I see English & Ross as being our Nathan Jones & Patrick Cripps at best and improved versions of Jackson & Tuck at worst... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »
The Herald-Sun's view 6 months on.

RATE THE 2018 TRADE PERIOD- RICHMOND

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
9 July 2019

Score: 8/10

A club that had only won the premiership a year previous was able to secure the best free agent out there and for only about a million bucks a year.

Tom Lynch has been a riotous success if you consider he has come off a PCL injury, playing every game and having several huge games.

The critics have come for him but consider what he will do in the next five seasons when fully fit.

Even though he is only approaching full fitness, his worst games have still included a couple of telling moments in a team that has missed Jack Riewoldt.

The Tigers moved on the likes of Sam Lloyd, Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis, forcing themselves to find some depth. Instead of playing those guys when the injuries hit they have unearthed the likes of Sydney Stack, Noah Balta and Ivan Soldo.

The Tigers also have high hopes for Riley Collier-Dawkins (pick 20) and have seen the potential in bash-and-crash midfielder Jack Ross, who is only out of the side because of injury.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-hq-check-out-all-the-big-list-calls-facing-richmond-this-offseason/news-story/ab818dcf97b0081731bd796c3f798eab

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
I was certainly wrong in thinking we'd need the likes of Conca, Miles and C Ellis as depth. The kids we've brought in have shown plenty and proven the above mentioned were barely more than list cloggers.

I was right in thinking we needed depth.

For mine (so far):

Trades
Lynch - tick

Draft
RCD - Still developing physically, so not going to give a mark. Started off looking very solid but has fallen badly out of form since the early season - which makes perfect sense with an underdeveloped body 2/3 through through a season.
Ross - tick.
English - tick

Rookie
Aarts - cross. Probably not going to make it.

Pre-Season supp
Stack - Huge tick (may be the greatest recruitment story in the clubs history)
Weller - Cross. Cost next to nothing so not too much harm done but has shown nothing that we didn't already suspect.

8/10 seems to stand for mine.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »
Agree with most of that but I wouldn't give English a tick just yet - and what about Turner?  Big tick for me....:shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
Agree with most of that but I wouldn't give English a tick just yet - and what about Turner?  Big tick for me....:shh
My mistake.

Turner - tick.

Re: English, from the glimpses I have seen he seems to have enough to potentially make it. Which, as a fourth round draft selection meets a pass mark for mine. May be suffering the same developmental issues as RCD. He is still 18.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
My mistake.

Turner - tick.

Re: English, from the glimpses I have seen he seems to have enough to potentially make it. Which, as a fourth round draft selection meets a pass mark for mine. May be suffering the same developmental issues as RCD. He is still 18.

English has been injured for most of the year. Has time at this stage.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
I gave a 9/10 at the start of the year purely based on the Lynch Trade. I would change it to a 10 if I could purely from the new found success of Ross and Stack

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »
I gave a 9/10 at the start of the year purely based on the Lynch Trade. I would change it to a 10 if I could purely from the new found success of Ross and Stack

It is off the charts if RCD makes it into that mix.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 11:50:27 PM »
10 out of 10 for me.

It’s not often you draft an out and out A grader. And Sydney Stack is that and more.
In fact probably not since 2012 when we drafted Vlastuin.

Obviously add that to the Lynch pick up and we killed it.

The others are just a bonus IMO.