Author Topic: Your Round 1 2019 Team  (Read 11668 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Your Round 1 2019 Team
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »
Short is much more important to broad in our team. We’ve got rance, astbury, grimes and at a stretch vlastuin who can defend the taller types already in the 22. Short is 1 of 2 players who primarily provide run off the backline.

If there’s a player better than short in that role than by all means let him take his place but it will require more than ‘a good preseason’ to displace him.

I mean you literally want to replace him with 3 guys who haven’t played a single vfl game let alone an afl game with one of them not playing any jlt. I’m excited about stack too as well as our other first year players but let’s see what they can produce before throwing them into the deep end.

And yes I’ve tried to forget as much as I can from that horrible game but from memory only jack Riewoldt came away with any merit from his performance and that came after half time when the game was already lost.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2019, 05:08:00 PM »
Short Steps should only keep his spot whilever his pros outweigh his cons...after being badly exposed toward the end of last year,  the new kick-in rules have probably tipped the balance slightly back in his favour and saved his arse......for now.....:shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
I'll say again Short needs to learn to defend got exposed badly last year towards the end.I hope he has worked on that.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2019, 02:15:26 AM »
Cellar dweller to Weller feller at Tigers

Michael Gleeson, Jake Niall
The Age
20 March 2019

Axed by lowly St Kilda, Maverick Weller is poised to be picked by premiership favourites Richmond for Thursday night's season-opener.

Their opponents Carlton, meanwhile, will select former Collingwood forward Alex Fasolo as one of four recruits from other clubs to line up for the Blues for the first time, along with No.1 draft pick Sam Walsh and VFL recruit Michael Gibbons.

In all, the Blues are expected to have six newcomers for the opening game: ex-Crow Mitch McGovern, former Giants midfielder Will Setterfield, ex-Swans defender Nic Newman, Gibbons, Fasolo and the highly impressive Walsh.

Weller played in both JLT games for the Tigers and was impressive against Melbourne in Shepparton with a goal and five tackles.

The Tigers will look closely at whether new forward Tom Lynch is ready for round one but if, as seems likely, the highly prized recruit does not come up for the opening match it is likely athletic tall Noah Balta will make his debut. Also potentially in line for a debut for Richmond is big-bodied inside midfielder Jack Ross, a second-round draftee last year.

Richmond will be without the injured Shaun Grigg, Jason Castagna and Josh Caddy.

Weller fell victim to St Kilda’s poor season and niggling injuries that kept him at the fringe of the team last year. Out of contract at season’s end, Weller was a list casualty of being a middle-aged player in a team that had a poor year.

The forward and midfielder who began his career at Gold Coast was recruited as a depth player by the Tigers but looks likely to have pushed his way into the team for round one.

‘‘I think I have a lot of good footy left in me, I had a couple of little injuries this year and I think the collective form of the team affected [my situation],’’ Weller told The Age in October last year after being cut by the Saints.

‘‘I think I have a lot to offer a team, especially one knocking on the door of the finals where I can go in and just play a role and not worry about getting the most out of the other blokes, which is the role I played at St Kilda this year.

‘‘If I can go somewhere and just play a role and contribute I think I can offer something.’’

Weller played 89 games for the Saints after crossing from the Suns at the end of 2013 where he had played 32 games.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cellar-dweller-to-weller-feller-at-tigers-20190319-p515kq.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2019, 02:34:09 AM »
If Lynch plays then I'd doubt he'll spend much if any time in the ruck given it's his first game back from a PCL. Surely that means Balta plays regardless swapping between high HF and 2nd ruck. If he's within 60m of goal he is within range.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
Play Balta in Griggs role on a wing.
I think he can easily do this but I’m not sure how long he would last.

Does anyone know how big his tank is? 
The club that keeps giving.