Author Topic: Little Luca joins Richmond for training session at Punt Rd Oval (Herald-Sun)  (Read 695 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Little Luca joins Richmond Tigers for training session at Punt Rd Oval

Chanel Zagon,
Herald Sun
December 18, 2018

Hard work pays off and can even earn you a premiership, this young Tigers fan learnt at a Richmond Football Club training session on Monday.

Four-year-old Luca Thompson’s dream came true when he trained among some of the club’s best, including Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin, at Punt Rd Oval.

Luca was born with the rare, genetic infantile Refsum disease, which affects only four children in Australia.

Luka, a young Richmond fan and one of four children in Australia born with the rare genetic infantile Refsum disease, meets his heroes at Richmond training on Monday. Picture: Cameron Grimes

It has affected his muscle tone, which means Luca must do physiotherapy and take multiple supplements each day to aid his movement.

Mum Prue said the training opportunity aimed to teach her son persistence.

“He is finding it difficult to understand the concept that hard work and exercising pays off,” she said. “At the moment, the only way to encourage Luca to do any of these daily fundamental tasks is to talk about the ‘mighty Tigers’.

“I thought the only way to teach him was to show him that the Tigers train hard before they play.”

Ms Thompson said the training session inspired Luca to stick with his exercises.

It also encouraged him to continue working hard at Auskick.

“Today meant the world to him,” she said. “Luca lives and breathes the Tigers.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/little-luca-joins-richmond-tigers-for-training-session-at-punt-rd-oval/news-story/420c73d3a03e3eb47321390b0f588421

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
It's stories like this which makes my heart melt and makes me very proud to support the RFC.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Man that's a good photo and a great story. +1