Author Topic: Richmond ranked as having the best forward line in 2019 (afl site)  (Read 3779 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who has the best forwards? We rank every club

AFL.com.au
Nat Edwards, Travis King, Michael Whiting, Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary
2 January 2019

WITH boom recruit Tom Lynch set to be unleashed alongside spearhead Jack Riewoldt and his predatory band of fleet-footed smalls next season, it's little surprise Richmond tops our forward line rankings.

Opposition clubs will have nightmares about containing the Tigers, who surged to the minor premiership last season with the AFL's second-best attack behind Melbourne.

Of course, that's on the proviso that Lynch coming in from Gold Coast doesn't upset the apple cart, as fretted by now teammate Alex Rance.

Richmond will possess two dominant key forwards, in the mould of reigning premier West Coast, whose attack is led by twin towers Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling and ranks narrowly behind the 2017 flag winners.

Interestingly, Melbourne's high-powered offence comes in only mid-table, impacted by Jesse Hogan's departure to Fremantle.

1. RICHMOND

A forward line that already boasted the Coleman Medal winner in Jack Riewoldt received an upgrade, with the Tigers securing the free agency market's best prospect in Tom Lynch from Gold Coast. He'll add another reliable goalkicker up forward in 2019. Josh Caddy was an All Australian squad member last year following a stellar season, while Dan Butler, Daniel Rioli, Jack Higgins and Jason Castagna ensure the side keeps its smaller presence even with the arrival of Lynch. The depth is also incredibly strong, with Shai Bolton and Liam Baker keen to make their mark at AFL level, premiership player Jacob Townsend returning as a rookie and with Mav Weller arriving from St Kilda. There are not many weaknesses up forward at Punt Road.

HF: Dan Butler, Jack Riewoldt, Daniel Rioli
F: Josh Caddy, Tom Lynch, Jack Higgins

Forward depth: Shai Bolton, Callum Moore, Jacob Townsend, Noah Balta, Mav Weller, Liam Baker, Mabior Chol, Jake Aarts

2. West Coast
3. Adelaide
4. Essendon
5. GWS
6. Port Adelaide
7. Melbourne
8. Collingwood

All other clubs ranked here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-05/who-has-the-best-forwards-we-rank-every-club

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Richmond ranked as having the best forward line in 2019 (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
Collingwood...  :huh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »

Cox mate, very potent tall forward :rollin

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »

De Goey, Hoskin-Elliot, Josh Thomas all had stand out years. If Jamie Elliot can come back then it has the potency to regularly score the 100 points to win most games. The problem with Collingwood’s forward line is that it relies on supply from their elite mids and ruck. I’ve always thought Sidebottom was very underrated as their playmaker and if he, along with Grundy can be neutralised, then I’m not sure that forward line could invent goals like we can.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:37:24 PM »

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:42:26 PM »
happy to go with this
Jr good for 50 goals at least
Lynch two a game
Caddy kicked what 46 goals as a medium, theres no sneezing at that but one proviso!!!  Caddy has only done it the once. Was it the new Caddy or an aberation.

Imo the three smalls Butler Rioli and Castagna dont kick enough goals individually and so far none have made a decent contribution to midfield rotations which is expected nowdays.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:01 AM »
Was very disappointing to see Butler, Georgie & Rioli add nothing to the midfield in the 2017 grand final. Probably a factor in us losing that game
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 04:48:15 PM »
Was very disappointing to see Butler, Georgie & Rioli add nothing to the midfield in the 2017 grand final. Probably a factor in us losing that game
Lol they were so influential they had the ball a whopping 9, 10 and 11 times each.Good to see you continue to make a fool of yourself.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
Pathetic isn't it. Added nothing and should have their medals taken off them I reckon.

You don't win premierships with small forwards. As proven when we lost the 2017 Grand Final to Adelaide
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »
Lol they were so influential they had the ball a whopping 9, 10 and 11 times each.Good to see you continue to make a fool of yourself.

Mate you really need to change your name from claw to negative Nancy. I wake up in the morning to 10 new comments on different threads which ends up just being you crapping all over someone. I honestly question whether you actually support Richmond considering you criticise something like 95% of the list.

Castagna was the only one of the 3 small forwards who played anywhere close to the full season and he kicked 26 goals which puts him in the top 10 for small forwards in the comp, pretty good for the dud you make him out to be. Your problem is you expect every one of our players to be the best in the league in their position like we have an unlimited salary cap or something. If only you critiqued opposition players the same way you critiqued Richmond players.

Yup gray is better than Edwards. Is that so horrible that our fwd/mid all Australian premiership player is a worse player than the guy who is no.1 in the comp in that position. Really what point are you making?

This forum is for discussing/debating all things Richmond but you would think after a premiership and a preliminary final in the last 2 years your ratio of positive to negative comments would improve from the 100:1 it currently is.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:48:28 PM »
YA!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »

Mate you really need to change your name from claw to negative Nancy. I wake up in the morning to 10 new comments on different threads which ends up just being you crapping all over someone. I honestly question whether you actually support Richmond considering you criticise something like 95% of the list.

Castagna was the only one of the 3 small forwards who played anywhere close to the full season and he kicked 26 goals which puts him in the top 10 for small forwards in the comp, pretty good for the dud you make him out to be. Your problem is you expect every one of our players to be the best in the league in their position like we have an unlimited salary cap or something. If only you critiqued opposition players the same way you critiqued Richmond players.

Yup gray is better than Edwards. Is that so horrible that our fwd/mid all Australian premiership player is a worse player than the guy who is no.1 in the comp in that position. Really what point are you making?

This forum is for discussing/debating all things Richmond but you would think after a premiership and a preliminary final in the last 2 years your ratio of positive to negative comments would improve from the 100:1 it currently is.

Oh I didn't see this post until I basically wrote the same thing on another thread. You probably said it better than me though. Well done.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
happy to go with this
Jr good for 50 goals at least
Lynch two a game
Caddy kicked what 46 goals as a medium, theres no sneezing at that but one proviso!!!  Caddy has only done it the once. Was it the new Caddy or an aberation.

Imo the three smalls Butler Rioli and Castagna dont kick enough goals individually and so far none have made a decent contribution to midfield rotations which is expected nowdays.

With Lynch in the side Caddy will not be kicking as many goals this year.

But that will suit you as you can take Caddy down for not being any good

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
:lol