Author Topic: Changes for the GF?  (Read 6743 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Tigers should resist the urge to debut Pickett (West Aust.)
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 03:07:20 AM »
Why Tigers should resist the urge to debut Pickett

Mitch Woodcock
West Australian
24 September 2019

Hawthorn premiership defender Campbell Brown has called for Richmond to resist the urge to give Marlion Pickett a fairy tale grand final debut this Saturday.

The South Fremantle product won the Norm Goss Medal for a best-on-ground performance in the Tigers’ three-point VFL grand final win over Williamstown.

Pickett had 20 disposals, nine tackles and a goal in the victory, adding further weight to the calls for the 27-year-old to come into the side should premiership player Jack Graham not be available because of his dislocated shoulder.

Brown, who played 159 games for the Hawks and 46 for the Gold Coast Suns, said if he was coach Damien Hardwick he would not be selecting Pickett this week.

“I know exactly what I would be doing if I was Dimma. I wouldn’t be bringing in Pickett, as good as he was,” Brown told SEN.

“He was the best man on the ground, but it was not like he had an absolute blinder.

“I wouldn’t bring in a player to play his first AFL game in a grand final irrespective of him being 27 years of age and having a lot of experience.

“I would bring in Jacob Townsend as a defensive forward to play finger in the back on Nick Haynes and just terrorise him. He is hard, he’s tough, he can take a mark above his head.

“Jacob Townsend can kick a goal, we have already seen that, he can take a mark and he is tough and that’s what wins grand finals.”

If Pickett was to play at the MCG on Saturday he would become the first player in 67 years to make their debut in a grand final.

“It would mean a lot (to play in a AFL grand final) but if it happens I’ll be over the moon. But if it doesn’t, I am not too fussed about it,” Pickett said after the VFL grand final.

Fellow West Australian Sydney Stack is also unlikely to earn a recall for the decider after seemingly re-injuring his ankle in his first game back after a five-week layoff.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/afl-grand-final-campbell-brown-says-richmond-should-resist-the-urge-to-debut-marlion-pickett-ng-b881332033z

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Changes for the GF?
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 11:11:07 AM »
load of crap....have ross and kmac performed better than pickett during the vfl finals???
have they shown more courage or skill than pickett during the finals??

pickett would be no worse than any other inclusion if graham doesnt come up...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
Grand Final injuries: Tigers have reason to be cheerful

Glenn McFarlane, Jon Anderson,
Herald Sun
24 Sept. 2019

Richmond defender Dylan Grimes is growing in confidence teammates Nathan Broad (concussion) and Jack Graham (dislocated shoulder) can overcome their issues to play in Saturday’s AFL Grand Final against Greater Western Sydney.

Both Broad and Graham took to the track this morning for a light session at Punt Rd in a positive sign for their chances.

Graham’s shoulder was heavily strapped and he didn’t complete one shoulder stretch drill, but he won’t be pushed hard until Thursday’s session which will determine whether the pair play.

He did train without any noticeable discomfort and took a few marks overhead late in the session.

Broad completed all the drills and is firming to play, while a handful of Tigers on standby including Sydney Stack and Marlion Pickett also trained today.

Asked about Broad, Grimes said: “He’s In good spirits and seems back to normal.”

“I’m not sure if he has passed the testing and that sort of stuff yet but from taking to himself before he seems back on earth which is a good result.”

Grimes said Graham told him earlier today that he would be fit to take on the Giants.

“I’m really shocked how good he is looking ... all the signs are positives. We hope to see him out there because he is such an important player for us,” he said.

Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin, who copped knocks in the preliminary final, trained without any discomfort.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-injury-news-jack-graham-pushing-to-play-after-shoulder-injury-stephen-coniglio-5050/news-story/622f86dcb46ebcfb3e6626fb27638f65

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 01:37:26 PM »
Broad trained fully in Tuesday's session, at least until it was closed to media, alongside Graham who had heavy strapping on his shoulder.

The midfield bull appeared to comfortably take marks in front of him as well as pick up ground balls, but only partially extended his injured arm while stretching.

Livewire utility Sydney Stack's hopes of a shock AFL Grand Final recall appear distant, only walking laps and completing handball drills.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-24/broad-graham-hit-the-training-track-in-bid-to-play

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
load of crap....have ross and kmac performed better than pickett during the vfl finals???

Yup Pickett has performed well but vfl is not afl and throwing someone in for their debut without knowing how they can run out a game (Pickett struggled to stay in the game for 4 qtrs in the vfl finals) and how they’ll perform is a massive risk. You ask whether Ross or kmac performed better than Pickett in the vfl but has Pickett performed better than either of them at AFL level?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 03:09:12 PM »
I think Graham will play.

If it pops out again he has history of being able to make decent impact with it restrapped and a jab.
Go Tigers!

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »

Yup Pickett has performed well but vfl is not afl and throwing someone in for their debut without knowing how they can run out a game (Pickett struggled to stay in the game for 4 qtrs in the vfl finals) and how they’ll perform is a massive risk. You ask whether Ross or kmac performed better than Pickett in the vfl but has Pickett performed better than either of them at AFL level?

cant answer that obviously...but im sure he would play at a higher level with higher calibre players around him...9 tackles is graham like and that mark he took running into the pack a couple of weeks ago shows what he's all about... anyway pretty sure graham will play so we'll see how he goes next year...

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
Out: Graham (sad face)
In:  I would go with Ross as he is a high disposal player.  McIntosh to play if they want more defensive cover. 

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »
How has Ross form been in vfl ?.

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »
How has Ross form been in vfl ?.
turnover king
there was a reason both he and kmac got dropped....now suddenly people think theyre superstars...get ready for pickett :thumbsup

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Ross had one ad game against eagles and was rushed back.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 08:17:57 PM »
Dimma just said on afl360 that broad passed his concussion test today and will play  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 02:36:15 AM »
Dimma just said on afl360 that broad passed his concussion test today and will play  :thumbsup
That's great news. Cheers TK  :cheers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 03:17:34 AM »
I feel a little sorry for Chronicles, reluctant to be pulled from the VFL GF as cover and now probably no chance of playing in the AFL GF.

Is he looking at new clubs next week?

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2019, 06:34:12 AM »
Feel for Graham. Hope team lift for him. Graham's tackling and pressure are outstanding. His replacement must have the same attributes.