Author Topic: Which team(s) will be our challengers in 2020?  (Read 12915 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Which team(s) will be our challengers in 2020?
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
THE FLAG FAVOURITE

Garry Lyon – Collingwood

“I’ve jumped off the Eagles. I had the Eagles, but I think they’ve been ‘hubbed’. I’ve jumped on the Maggies. (I was) very heavily (taken aback by Round 1). I’m supremely confident in the Magpies’ ability.

Nick Riewoldt – Richmond

“I’m sticking firm, I’ve been with this mob for a while. They’ve got a bankable style, they know their system and they’re not going to be affected by their inability to train because they’ve played a certain way for a number of years now and they’re not going to miss a beat.”

Jonathan Brown – GWS Giants

“Callan Ward and Zac Williams are going to be back in the side and Toby Greene’s just going to get stronger and stronger. They play three out of their first four at home.”

Gerard Healy – West Coast Eagles

“I’m going to stay with the Eagles, simply because while they’re giving to the hub now, they’re going to taketh later in the back of the season. They’re big winners out of the times reduced for quarters because Nic Naitanui goes from 60 per cent up to 70 per cent, which means do they play another ruckman? I think Tim Kelly coming back, Oscar Allen – they’ve got some organic growth to come through there and they’ve got a great midfield.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-predictions-fox-footy-on-the-couch-calls-flag-odds/news-story/4f62cae62f6ea854dc3a886be26fa0a2

Jason Dunstall - Richmond

The Tigers are my tip for premiers. They have a proven game style. No other team in the competition is as professional or as disciplined as Richmond. They are prepared to sacrifice each other, and have a full and fit list heading into the AFL season restart.

David King - West Coast Eagles

“They haven’t given me a reason to jump off yet.”

Bob Murphy - Richmond

“The Tigers will probably win it again because they’re very good and their leaders have clocked football.”

Cameron Mooney – Richmond

“I did pick Melbourne originally, with a little bit of tongue in cheek, but having this time off … it’s the mature groups that really going to handle the period off so well. And from all reports Richmond have just rolled back in and are just flying.

“That’s what great, mature teams do. They don’t take a week for training to get going, they just walk in and go bang. They’ve been away for 10 weeks, they’ve done what they’ve needed to do, they come in and go whack.

“Melbourne, I’m just not sure they’ve got that maturity, so that’s why I think maybe not now for the Dees but yes now for the Tigers. They could roll back in, go bang, bang, bang and win the first six and they’re away.”

Brad Johnson – GWS Giants

“My opinion 100 per cent hasn’t changed since February. The thing is with the Giants is they’re a 100-point team. If they can go 100 and keep the opposition to 70 points consistently, look out.

“That’s the perfect year in terms of scores for and against – and they achieved that in Round 1. They’re in a good spot.”

Leigh Montagna – GWS Giants

“There’s simply no reason to jump off the GWS Giants. They’ve already been through so much adversity and they’re so mentally tough, so the recent shutdown won’t bother them.

“They’ve played a lot of footy together as a group, meaning limited training won’t affect them. If they get a fair run with injuries, they’ll be in a Grand Final again.”

Nick Dal Santo - Richmond

---------------------------------

FINAL TALLY

Richmond - 5

GWS - 3

West Coast - 2

Collingwood - 1

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-flag-predictions-premiership-favourites-expert-2020-predictions-richmond-gws-giants-who-will-win-the-flag/news-story/461b7e7bb583e000cf87e36137a196db

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2020, 08:45:32 PM »
How could you go of round 1 only a game who knows what this season throws out.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2020, 01:37:03 AM »
“If they can get 100 points and keep the opposition to 70 points, look out.’’ Brilliant stuff by Brad Johnson there......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2020, 03:52:44 AM »
NICK DAL SANTO         1. Richmond
BEN DIXON                  1. Richmond
BRAD JOHNSON           1. GWS Giants  2. Richmond
MAX LAUGHTON           1. Richmond
KATH LOUGHNAN         1. Richmond
LEIGH MONTAGNA        1. GWS Giants  2. Richmond
CAMERON MOONEY      1. GWS Giants  2. Richmond
TOM MORRIS               1. GWS Giants  2. West Coast    3. Richmond
SARAH OLLE               1. Richmond
BEN WATERWORTH     1. Richmond

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ladder-2020-predictions-full-predicted-ladder-minor-premiers-wooden-spoon-tips-tipping/news-story/28d123bc8b491883310e75490809a627

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »
Kane Cornes’ UPDATED top eight:

1. GWS
2. Collingwood
3. West Coast
4. Richmond
5. Brisbane
6. Hawthorn
7. Port Adelaide
8. Western Bulldogs

On Richmond: “Don’t think they can win it again. Back-to-back flags are so hard to do, but they’ll be in the mix.”

https://www.zerohanger.com/kane-cornes-reveals-updated-top-eight-and-premiership-tip-41571/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2020, 09:11:00 AM »
He can get stuffed like barrett

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2020, 02:26:36 AM »
RISE OF THE SHOCK CONTENDERS

There are three teams sitting on top of the ladder after Round 2. And don’t lie - you didn’t tip any of them.

Port Adelaide, North Melbourne and Essendon are the only teams to have made it to 2-0, with more familiar names Collingwood and Richmond right behind them thanks to their draw.

Now, it’s obviously early, but in a season where nine wins may be enough to make the eight, these three sides have set themselves up for success.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-round-2-analysis-talking-points-reaction-shaun-burgoyne-sling-tackle-contenders-north-melbourne-port-adelaide/news-story/d0a9407b11af69c93b404382746c9195

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
Whateley and Cornes rank their top 4 seeds after Round 2

Whateley

1. Collingwood
2. GWS
3. Richmond
4. Geelong

Kane Cornes

1. Richmond
2. Collingwood
3. Brisbane
4. Port Adelaide

Explanations: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/06/15/whateley-and-cornes-rank-their-top-4-seeds-after-round-2/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
Wimpley just had to put his beloved handbangers in there... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2020, 02:09:29 AM »
Power Rankings: Every AFL club ranked 1-18 after round 2

June 16, 2020
Max Laughton
FOX SPORTS

1. RICHMOND (1-0-1, 120.5%) remain ranked 1st.

We said last week we weren’t planning on moving Richmond out of top spot until they lose a game. Well, they didn’t lose in Round 2.

They certainly came close. While the Tigers had the ascendancy for most of Thursday night’s draw, they were forced to play the Magpies’ game - short kicking was prevalent, allowing both teams to set up behind the ball well. That led to the low-scoring nature of the contest.

Still, after dominating the last hour of the game - they had 13 more inside 50s and laid 27 more tackles in that period, amid other impressive numbers - they really should have taken away all four points.

A chaotic Round 2 played into Richmond’s hands, though, because they’re still fifth on the ladder. West Coast and GWS, widely perceived as the other two flag contenders apart from the Tigers and Pies, both lost - so Damien Hardwick’s side hasn’t lost any ground.

2. COLLINGWOOD (1-0-1, 174.3%) up from 3rd.

Thursday night’s draw was probably better for the Magpies than it was for the Tigers.

As mentioned above, Collingwood was able to force Richmond into playing its type of game - a war of attrition typified by short kicking and impenetrable defensive setups. They’ve allowed an average of just 49 points in their last eight matches, which is remarkable.

And just like with the Tigers, the Magpies are still holding ladder position above their big-name flag rivals like West Coast and GWS.

There would’ve been some who went into Round 2 unsure if Collingwood was a true flag contender. Their minds have been changed.

3. GEELONG (1-1, 119.1%) up from 7th.
Friday night was the Cats saying “hey, remember us? The team that finished on top last year and came closest to beating Richmond in September?”

4. PORT ADELAIDE (2-0, 290.6%) up from 6th.
5. WEST COAST (1-1, 87.9%) down from 4th.
6. GWS GIANTS (1-1, 107.8%) down from 2nd.
7. BRISBANE (1-1, 89.9%) up from 8th.
8. NORTH MELBOURNE (2-0, 119.3%) up from 10th.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/latest-afl-power-rankings-round-3-2020/news-story/3c4a309b253e1979dd3d155f4ab7310b

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2020, 07:00:35 AM »
^^^^^

The further Amercianisation of Australian sport

Power rankings  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »
snore. what a toss

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »
Yep  :banghead

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
^^^^^

The further Amercianisation of Australian sport

Power rankings  :banghead
A number of footy 'news' sites are doing this now.

Power Rankings: Round 2

Zero Hanger
Lachlan Blain
16 June 2020

1. Richmond (+2)

It was a frustrating, underwhelming night for the Tigers, but two points is – well – two points. And after the slowest of starts they really dominated much of Thursday night’s match. Many Tigers weren’t at their best – Dusty had an almost night, Jack Riewoldt was largely anonymous and Shane Edwards wasn’t his usual self.

But they still outplayed the team who could very well be their biggest rivals this season – and it’s now 12 months unbeaten for the reigning premiers. All in all, no sleepless nights for Dimma and his charges just yet.

2. Collingwood (-)
3. GWS (-2)
4. Port Adelaide (+2)
5. West Coast (-1)
6. Geelong (+3)
7. North Melbourne (+1)
8. Essendon (+3)

https://www.zerohanger.com/power-rankings-round-2-updated-41710/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
Latest Premiership Odds after Round 3

$5           Collingwood                                       $6 before Round 3

$5.50      Richmond                                          $4.50 before Round 3

$9           GWS                                                 $7.50 before Round 3

$9           Port Adelaide                                    $13 before Round 3

$9             West Coast                                         $8 before Round 3

$12         Brisbane Lions                                   $14 before Round 3

$12         Geelong                                               $10 before Round 3

$15         Hawthorn                                            $21 before Round 3

$21         Western Bulldogs                             $26 before Round 3

$34         Essendon                                            $34 before Round 3

$34         Melbourne                                         $34 before Round 3

$41         North Melbourne                            $26 before Round 3

$41          St Kilda                                                 $41 before Round 3

$51         Sydney                                                 $51 before Round 3

$67         Carlton                                                 $81 before Round 3

$67         Gold Coast                                          $151 before Round 3

$201       Fremantle                                           $101 before Round 3

$251       Adelaide                                              $151 before Round 3

Source: TAB

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/afl/2020-afl-premiership-betting-and-odds-update-ahead-of-round-4/532943