Author Topic: Which team(s) will be our challengers in 2020?  (Read 12675 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Which team(s) will be our challengers in 2020?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
David King’s top 8

Essendon dropping out and being replaced by Port Adelaide.

King added that West Coast, GWS, Richmond and Collingwood are “locks top play finals”.

1. West Coast
2. GWS
3. Richmond
4. Collingwood
5. Bulldogs
6. Brisbane
7. Port Adelaide
8. Geelong

(North Melbourne ninth and Hawthorn 10th)

SEN Breakfast co-host Sam Edmund also named his own top eight.

Sam Edmund’s top 8

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Collingwood
4. GWS
5. Brisbane
6. Bulldogs
7. Geelong
8. Hawthorn

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/01/22/david-king-names-his-top-8-for-2020-with-one-big-bolter/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
What a crock
As if a win in round 7 is redemption for a missed premiership

Flog
They said the same thing about Adelaide in 2018 when they beat us in round 2. Well that win did them about as good as their camp and RFC theme song sing-along bus trip :snidegrin.

Kane Cornes had the Crows even premiership favourite this time last year because they would redeem a poor 2018 :stupid  :rollin.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
I hope King is right about Ninth Melbourne  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 09:02:41 PM »

They’ll see that as a success
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 02:24:34 AM »

They’ll see that as a success
Round 12 against us will be there annual 'Grand Final'  ::).

At least we play them this year at the 'G for once.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 08:45:17 PM »
West coast and Pies the other contenders for me

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
My predictions for the 2020 AFL season

Giacomo Bruno
theRoar.com.au
26 Jan 2020

Season 2020 is set to be the most competitive season in the AFL in recent years, and here is my season prediction for how things will pan out.

First – Richmond Tigers
No surprises here. The Tigers have been the benchmark of the AFL for the past three seasons and 2020 will be no different.

The team’s depth is as good as any in the AFL, and the team’s quality and unison on display is unmatched by any side in the competition.

If all things go right, the Tigers will finish the top of the ladder and be back-to-back premiers come end of the season.

Second – West Coast Eagles
Third – Collingwood Magpies
Fourth – Geelong Cats
Fifth – Western Bulldogs
Sixth – Brisbane Lions
Seventh – Hawthorn Hawks
Eighth – GWS Giants

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/01/26/my-predictions-for-the-2020-afl-season/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 03:14:53 AM »
Richmond are the marginal early favourites to repeat

Zero Hanger
12 Feb 2020

On 28 September 2019, we witnessed only the second Grand Final in AFL or VFL history in which neither team finished in the top two places of the ladder.

The team who would leave with a silver medal, Greater Western Sydney finished sixth – 12 points adrift from league-leading Geelong. Richmond, on the other hand, finished third but on the same points as Geelong and the second-placed Brisbane Lions – placing lower on point percentage.

While this does mean that the titbit mentioned having only occurred twice in the league’s history is a little contentious, it also shows how close the AFL was last season. This season, it’s expected to be an even closer contest but, as is often the way, the reigning premiers are favoured at this stage.

Tigers stay the course

One of the more remarkable aspects of Richmond’s 2019 campaign was that they did it without Alex Rance, who they’ll be without this season as well following the fullback’s retirement. Nick Vlastuin, David Astbury, and Dylan Grimes stepped in to fill the void and did so admirably.

At some point over the offseason, the Tigers may have expected Rance to return and add even more quality to the newly crowned premiers, but the team did well enough to mostly just stay the course. The team just won the Grand Final, has undergone very few personnel changes and has plenty of young talents knocking on the door of the best 22.

Coming back with very much the same team that marginally missed out on the summit of the ladder and landed the trophy, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Tigers are the favourites to win it all again in 2020. In the Aussie Rules betting, Richmond stand as the 8/15 favourites. However, it’s a very closely contested field, with West Coast at 3/5, Collingwood at 6/5, and Greater Western Sydney at 6/5.

It speaks volumes of how exciting the 2020 AFL season is going to be, which team looks poised to be the main threat to Richmond’s throne?

Will all the noise bring them the trophy?

Without a shadow of a doubt, the West Coast Eagles made the most noise in the off-season. In a huge statement of intent to finally bring in the player who they’ve wanted for a couple of years, West Coast paid up to bring in Tim Kelly.

The Eagles took the biggest step forward by landing the biggest move of the trade period. Sure, they almost certainly overpaid, but bringing in Kelly might just prove to be the move that makes them premiers. They’re a better team now, and Kelly is a star, giving them very real title credentials.

Collingwood, who finished fourth last season, on the same points as West Coast, didn’t get much worse, but also didn’t get any better. The Magpies basically stayed the same while all of the teams around them improved.

GWS is one such fellow contender which had a strong offseason, bringing in ruckman Sam Jones to patch a major hole in the team. Last year’s finalists look to be coming back to try and go all the way this season but perhaps aren’t as strong as the likes of the Eagles or the Tigers.

The tight odds on the four leading contenders in the AFL for the 2020 season just shows how competitive the league is and how exciting it’ll be to see it unfold. As it stands, Richmond are the pick of the bunch, but there’s been plenty of movement beneath to foresee a team usurping the reigning premiers.

https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-are-the-marginal-early-favourites-to-repeat-38432/

Terry Wallace believes that Geelong will remain a competitive finals team, but aren’t in the premiership mix.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/11/is-geelong-in-their-premiership-window/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ken Hinkley believes Port Adelaide can win the 2020 premiership (Foxsports)
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 03:20:43 AM »
Meanwhile ...

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley believes the Power can win the 2020 premiership

Port Adelaide hasn’t won a final since 2014, but Power coach Ken Hinkley believes his side can go all the way ...

"I love this club and I love the history of this club and this club's history is premierships," Hinkley said on Wednesday.

"So, that's what we're starting out to try and do. We're going to start this year wanting to win the premiership in our 150th year.

"We're going to do everything we can to do that. To do that, you have to qualify for finals, so look out, we're coming."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/port-adelaide-coach-ken-hinkley-believes-the-power-can-win-the-2020-premiership-in-150th-anniversary-year/news-story/0a5df22a6320173933f0aa1a73485a83

:facepalm

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ken Hinkley believes Port Adelaide can win the 2020 premiership (Foxsports)
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
Meanwhile ...

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley believes the Power can win the 2020 premiership

Port Adelaide hasn’t won a final since 2014, but Power coach Ken Hinkley believes his side can go all the way ...

"I love this club and I love the history of this club and this club's history is premierships," Hinkley said on Wednesday.

"So, that's what we're starting out to try and do. We're going to start this year wanting to win the premiership in our 150th year.

"We're going to do everything we can to do that. To do that, you have to qualify for finals, so look out, we're coming."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/port-adelaide-coach-ken-hinkley-believes-the-power-can-win-the-2020-premiership-in-150th-anniversary-year/news-story/0a5df22a6320173933f0aa1a73485a83

:facepalm

Thanks Cyclops, I will have the Hinkley v Dimma thread ready for a bump when required

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »
No chance Kenny Boy try again in another decade or two.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
Ken will be the first coach sacked in 2020
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »
Gez people getting on eagles Kelly a great get ,but we seen a few signs last year few players got exposed.Massive loss to Rioli.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood is the biggest threat to Richmond: Matt Rendell (SEN)
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 11:58:38 PM »
How Collingwood could be Richmond’s “greatest challenge”

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
13 Feb 2020

Matt Rendell believes Collingwood is the club that provides the biggest threat to reigning premiers Richmond in 2020.

The Tigers boast a 4-2 record over the Magpies across the past three seasons but one of these two defeats was a forgettable 44-point preliminary final drubbing on a fateful night in 2018 when Mason Cox turned it on.

While Richmond has held aloft two of the last three premiership cups, Rendell feels a fully fit Collingwood side is the key to knocking off the competition’s benchmark outfit.

“We rolled Richmond in that preliminary final. It wasn’t necessarily just because of Cox,” the Magpies’ assistant recruiting manager said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“But we really troubled them with the way we were playing against them. I know they were really worried about us last year.

“We beat them early in the year, I know they had a couple missing. Then they smashed us pretty easily later in the year when we had quite a few out.

“I’d just like to have a crack with them with our best team.

“(Darcy) Moore playing on (Tom) Lynch, maybe (Jeremy) Howe or (Jordan) Roughead playing on Jack Riewoldt. I think we’ve got the team that can beat them.

“I know that they see us as their greatest challenge.”

Rendell reiterated that a full arsenal of personnel at Collingwood’s disposal will undoubtedly put them in a much stronger position of once again presenting as a genuine flag threat.

“I reckon Collingwood’s improvement will come from getting a better run with injuries,” he added.

“Keeping players out on the ground like (Jordan) De Goey, who has missed a lot, you need Moore out there all the time, Howe, (Brayden) Maynard. Keeping your better players out there all the time with no soft tissue injuries.

“We ran into a bit of trouble last year. Whether we beat GWS in the preliminary final, whether De Goey would have played not, I doubt it. They went to great lengths to try and get him up in case we made it.

“Getting our best players on the ground is number one.”

The Pies will get to test themselves against the Tigers in the Marsh Community Series in Wangaratta next Sunday, March 1 before the two powerhouse clubs again lock horns in Round 2 of the season proper at the MCG on March 26.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/13/how-collingwood-could-be-richmonds-greatest-challenge/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 07:17:12 AM »
If my aunty had balls shed be my uncle. They gotta get to a grand final first then theyll do what they usually do and thats choke.