Author Topic: Noah Cumberland [merged]  (Read 53781 times)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Re: Noah Cumberland [merged]
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2023, 08:36:13 AM »
He was fantastic when subbed on.

He was good but I wouldn't say Fantastic. 7 posessions in a half a game when your the one with fresh legs is hardly fantastic. He certainly energized the Forward line when he came on which was what was needed.

That said I think he did enough for a game next week and given the weather last night should of probably been in for Ryan from the start. This is something that has happened quite a few times under Harwick, not sure what the reason is that they seem to not be prepared to make late changes give the weather.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2023, 09:30:17 AM »
He still needs to pressure a tackle when he hasn’t got the ball and with his natural speed there is really no excuse unless he’s lazy.

A good comparison would be Baeu McCreery who has same role, size and speed.

I would say Cumberland is more dangerous around goal than McCreery but in defensive attributes Cumberland falls way way short of the standard.

If he’s willing to work hard I don’t think it’s beyond him but he must be prepared to work harder when the opposition has the ball.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2023, 10:18:54 AM »

He was good but I wouldn't say Fantastic. 7 posessions in a half a game when your the one with fresh legs is hardly fantastic. He certainly energized the Forward line when he came on which was what was needed.

That said I think he did enough for a game next week and given the weather last night should of probably been in for Ryan from the start. This is something that has happened quite a few times under Harwick, not sure what the reason is that they seem to not be prepared to make late changes give the weather.

I don't think his game can be judged on possession

He gave the one thing in our F50 that the others except MRJ didn't and that was defensive pressure and an attack on the contest

I thought he was excellent
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2023, 10:35:38 AM »
Not sure people realise we kicked 1 goal in a half of footy and 5 minutes into the 3rd we have 13 points more on the board due to Cumberland brilliance

Kid is a stuffing jet
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2023, 03:43:19 PM »
Dimma and co clearly got this wrong.

He is AFL quality and we need him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2023, 06:16:16 PM »
THE FIRST SUB TO CHANGE THE GAME: RICHMOND “WILDCARD” HAS TO PLAY AFTER IGNITING TIGERS

Seb Mottram
SEN
1 April 2023

It wasn’t the Tigers’ night on Friday against Collingwood, but Damien Hardwick nailed his substitution call.

The Magpies were all over Richmond for most of the clash, particularly in the first half when heading into half-time leading scoring shots 13 to four. It amounted to only a 19-point lead off the back of some inaccurate kicking, but the Tigers were undoubtedly in trouble.

Enter Noah Cumberland.

The 22-year-old hadn’t played AFL this year after eight exciting games in 2022, but came on as Richmond’s sub after half-time and changed the game.

Gerard Whateley believes Cumberland’s use is the perfect prototype for the sub going forward.

“This is game 19 (of the 2023 season) and this is the first time I feel the sub has made a difference,” Whateley began on SEN’s Crunch Time.

“It was a tactical decision, they were clearly thinking about it in the last minutes of the second half, waited until half-time, and Noah Cumberland changed the tempo of the game in the first ten minutes of the third quarter.”

The Tigers gave Collingwood a fright when kicking the first three goals of the third quarter to narrow the margin to less than a kick before Craig McRae’s side proved too strong to record a 14-point win.

Cumberland came on for tall forward Samson Ryan in the slippery conditions and recorded seven possessions (five contested) and three inside 50s.

Hardwick has been reluctant to play Cumberland in the same team as Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton given their similar roles, but David King believes the “wildcard” simply has to play going forward.

“He is a player. He had a terrific back half of last season. He’s a bit of a wildcard, he finds the ball in really aggressive positions and he plays a style that if he has six or seven touches, they’re going on the scoreboard,” the dual-premiership Kangaroo said.

“I love those sort of players. To me, he’s a must play for Richmond. Their forward line can look a bit pedestrian at times… it’s come out a bit easy the last couple of weeks, so they need those spark players.

“I know we look at the magnets of Dusty, (Tom) Lynch, (Jack) Riewoldt and Bolton and we fall in love with them. But more often than not, you see Maurice Rioli putting pressure on and not a lot of others.

“I think they need a bit more youth in that forward half.”

Cumberland was taken with a second round pick in 2019 and averaged over two goals a game last year.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/04/01/the-first-sub-to-change-the-game-richmond-wildcard-has-to-play-after/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2023, 07:20:49 PM »
Ffs even Seb can see it

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2023, 08:00:38 PM »
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2023, 07:45:51 PM »
The Undroppable: Noah Cumberland

Many Tigers fans have been asking why Noah Cumberland wasn’t in the senior side for the opening two rounds.

He had kicked 19 goals in nine outings in 2022 and was seen by many as a regular in Hardwick’s 22, but has had to settle for VFL footy early this season.

Last Friday night, Cumberland made an immediate impact after he replaced Samson Ryan at half-time. His X-factor and energetic game style helped the Tigers get back into the contest and he possesses a genuine point of difference within the Richmond attack.

Cumberland simply must start against the Western Bulldogs in Round 4.

Source: SEN.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2023, 10:34:38 PM »
If only Cumbo ran around like a headless chook, missed targets by hand and foot and cost us vital goals then he'd never be dropped.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2023, 02:57:24 AM »
Not sure people realise we kicked 1 goal in a half of footy and 5 minutes into the 3rd we have 13 points more on the board due to Cumberland brilliance

Kid is a stuffing jet

Must play and should be one of the first picked.

anyone who cant see it now is blind or incredibly stupid. Our forward line is a mess.

Junior laid 2 tackles, but he is going great isnt he.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2023, 09:25:13 PM »

Kid is a stuffing jet

Must play and should be one of the first picked.

anyone who cant see it now is blind or incredibly stupid. Our forward line is a mess.

Junior laid 2 tackles, but he is going great isnt he.

Its hilarious Junior and Mansell who are there to tackle and harass are not getting it done Dusty hardly has a defensive bone in his body yet this kid cops it.
He was fantastic when subbed on.

Lets see. 41% of game played  7 disposals. 100% game played  would be about 16 or so. Not a bad return for a small fwd. :whistle

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2023, 06:13:10 AM »
The critical point is he offers something completely different to the other forwards. He has a really good goal sense. Must play.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2023, 12:09:43 AM »
If only Cumbo ran around like a headless chook, missed targets by hand and foot and cost us vital goals then he'd never be dropped.
:lol :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2023, 03:05:07 PM »
Dimma in his presser today discussing Cumberland:

"We'll challenge players to add a further string to their bow. So, sometimes it will be one step back, for two steps forward. Now, Noah had to go back [to the VFL] because we wanted him to learn a little bit of a different role as Dusty, Shai and him play a similar role, even Jack to a certain extent. So, to improve like most players at stages - Daniel Rioli we've done it before; Kamdyn McIntosh; these sort of players - they do have to go back and learn a little bit of craft to further progress their career. So, we're reasonably happy with where he [Cumberland] is at. We certainly know he is an AFL quality player, and he is firmly in my view entrenched in our best 22, but sometimes it's not the best 22 now, but the best 22 moving forward. So, he'll play this week."