Author Topic: It's Time  (Read 3951 times)

Moi

It's Time
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »
For Rainsey to get a rising star nomination.  Although not one of our best players, had another great game last night holding his man, Brennan.
What say you?  We go down to the AFL and blockade the building until they nominate him lol

:gotigers

PuntRdRoar

Re: It's Time
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:36:48 PM »
Itll be between him and Dale Thomas for who wins it I reckon.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »
Good call Moi.  Come on nominators.  Give him a nomination; or else. >:(  :rollin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 05:25:25 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »
Well said Moi  :clapping  ;). He deserves a nomination.

Rainesy's either contained or beaten his direct opponent in at least 3 1/2 of the 4 games while giving us run out of defence. He had 15,16,14 and 17 disposals. He was able to match Robert Murphy of the dogs despite the ease in which the ball was coming down into our defence. He gave Milne and Brennan a bath. The only downer was Sampi's short 3 goal burst in the 3rd quarter last week but he didn't have much help from those around him or upfield and for the rest of the match he had the better of Sampi.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Raines - A special homecoming (RFC site)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 08:01:27 PM »
A special homecoming
1:05:44 PM Sun 23 April, 2006
Andrew Browne
Sportal for afl.com.au

It was only a few of years ago that Andrew Raines was living in Queensland and watching a northern premiership dynasty unfold as he witnessed numerous Brisbane Lions maulings of opposition sides at the Gabba on a regular basis.

On Saturday night, Raines returned to his former 'home' and experienced 'a special feeling' in his brief AFL career as Richmond recorded its second consecutive win at the once mighty Lions fortress. More importantly, it was the Tigers' first victory of the premiership season.

"I used to imagine how good it would be running out in front of a Queensland crowd and got the chance to do it and it is even better doing it in the yellow and black," a delighted Raines told afl.com.au amongst noisy and joyous scenes in the visitors' rooms on Saturday night.

"It was a special win and special for me too being a Queenslander."

Despite losing its first three games and coming off a trip to Perth, Raines said the club retained the self-belief to win at the Gabba.

"We had a look at the Lions during the week and thought we could beat them," he said.

"After two interstate trips and the shocking loss to the Western Bulldogs in the first round, it was good to bounce back, find some form and stick with it.

"You have to go out every week and make a contest and if 22 players go out and give it their best we will be there with a strong chance."

The names Roach and Raines are synonymous with Tigerland. But it was the former with the name of Thomas (son of famous spearhead Michael) who was drafted with the club's father-son selection in 2003.

At the same draft, Andrew - who is the son of 1980 premiership legend and triple best-and-fairest Geoff - had to wait until the eighth round and pick no.76 before he joined his esteemed father's club.

Raines junior made his long-awaited debut in round 22, 2004 against Sydney at the MCG but it was an appearance that would be best forgotten as the Tigers were thrashed by 64 points, secured the wooden spoon and Danny Frawley coached his last game at Punt Road.

However, just over 12 months and 11 games later, the 20-year-old has tasted the sweetest victory in his short career and is showing the coaching panel enough promise that will hopefully keep him in yellow and black colours for a long time.

Saturday night saw the former Southport player put in another solid performance against a more experienced and taller opponent with the high-leaping Jared Brennan, which drew praise from coach Terry Wallace.

"I was out my depth with height but thought I fought it out for four quarters and did okay," was Raines' self-analysis about his performance.

Meanwhile, Wallace had backed the youngster for a spot in the starting 18 when he called Raines three weeks before the season started to tell him Western Bulldogs livewire Robert Murphy would be his round one opponent.

"I saw him (Raines) that way a month out and his performances over the summer and the first four games have been outstanding," Wallace enthused.

"His attack on the ball has been second-to-none, so he deserves his right to play."

Following consecutive road trips, Raines is eagerly anticipating the return home to experience the new-look MCG turf, as they cope with another short turnaround when they face traditional rival Carlton on Friday night.

"It will be great to get back there at our home ground and we will be ready to play despite the six-day break," Raines said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=259926

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 08:03:55 PM »
Itll be between him and Dale Thomas for who wins it I reckon.

Thomas was the round 2 nominee.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 08:12:57 PM »
I think my dad's still got a couple of 34 yo bumper stickers Moi. I might put one on the car for Rainesy.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Moi

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 09:44:59 PM »
I think my dad's still got a couple of 34 yo bumper stickers Moi. I might put one on the car for Rainesy.
Huh  ???
Yours always go over my head lol

Moi

How good is this
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »
Raines wins Rd 4 Rising Star
11:08:59 AM Wed 26 April, 2006
Australian Football League

Richmond’s Andrew Raines is the Round Four NAB AFL Rising Star nominee.

It’s fitting the young backman’s nomination has followed Richmond’s defeat of the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba Saturday night, as Andrew played his junior football on the Gold Coast for the Palm Beach Currumbin Juniors and a year at Southport.

Andrew made his Tiger debut back in round 22 in 2004 and played six games in 2005. He has played all four games in 2006 for a total of 11 AFL games. Over the past month Andrew’s opponents have included Robert Murphy, Stephen Milne, Ashley Sampi and Jarred Brennan and collectively he has held them to just five goals.

Son of Richmond 1980 premiership player and triple best-and-fairest Geoff Raines, the 20-year-old was not selected by father-son rule. He was Richmond’s eighth selection (76th overall) in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft, the same draft that Shane Tuck, Thomas Roach, Daniel Jackson and Brent Hartigan were selected.

Andrew represented Queensland in the 2003 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=260534

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: How good is this
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:00:30 PM »
Raines wins Rd 4 Rising Star

And how much did that cost ya ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: How good is this
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 02:55:19 PM »
Richmond’s Andrew Raines is the Round Four NAB AFL Rising Star nominee.

:woohoo 

Well deserved  :bow.

If he keeps this form up we could have a rising star winner 2 years in a row   :clapping

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »
When we play the pies...Raines needs to play on Thomas. If Raines gives him a bath then that will put major doubts into the minds of the voters and Raines could win it.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 03:24:27 PM »
well done young rainesy   a worthy winner for the round and in contention for the award
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »
When we play the pies...Raines needs to play on Thomas. If Raines gives him a bath then that will put major doubts into the minds of the voters and Raines could win it.

Gives Rainsey Didak. Then if Andrew comes out on top we'll get twice the enjoyment  ;D.

It's rare for a kid to do a Judd or Lids and play all 22 games and be better nearer the end of the year. Most tirer as playing AFL during your debut year takes its toll on the body. Rainesy is in his third year while Thomas is in his first so Rainesy will have an advantage there.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
interviewing him now on SEN
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench