Author Topic: AFL shuts down 2020 season indefinitely (Fox)  (Read 5162 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt defends players after Lethal's pay cut criticism (Fox)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:06 AM »
Tigers star Jack Riewoldt defends players after AFL legend’s ‘irresponsible’ pay cut criticism

* March 25, 2020
    * Source: FOX SPORTS

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt says he’s disappointed in Leigh Matthews’ “irresponsible” comments about the playing group, as he strongly defended them from criticism surrounding pay cuts.

AFL legend Matthews poured fuel on the fire when he declared he had “lost respect” for today’s players because of the current debate over how much money should be withheld from them during the coronavirus hiatus.

The AFLPA has agreed to accept a 50 per cent pay cut, while the league is keen on a higher portion, given the lack of revenue coming into the AFL while games aren’t being played.

The players have said they’re working with the league to ensure the financial security of the competition, but that they need to be able to survive in the interim and to train fully for when the season resumes.

Riewoldt told AFL 360 the players are keen to re-evaluate the situation ahead of the May 31 target date for a possible return to normality, and fully understand they’re not going to be paid fully this year.

“I don’t think I can sit here and say one thing that would make everyone happy. That’s the crux of it,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“I was really disappointed by what Leigh Matthews said. ‘Disillusioned’ in the current playing list.

“We’ve only got to go back, what three weeks ago, and 45 or 50 of the best players of the game put their hand up and said we'll help Australia raise eight million dollars, and put our bodies on the line - which we do for a job and we love doing.

“We’ll do that, for what we want to do, we want to be apart of helping people who’ve been through bushfires.

“So for an AFL great of the game to say that about the current playing list I think is really disappointing. And Leigh has a strong opinion, and a well-heard voice, so I thought that was maybe a bit irresponsible.

“It's hard. We aren’t going to please anyone. I think the decision the PA has taken which is look, we’ve got 10 weeks, this is when we’re looking at getting the game up and going, any negotiations further on that need to be done when we actually know where the game’s going to be going.

“So at the moment we’ve put a position to the AFL that says let’s re-evaluate in 10 weeks’ time, probably six weeks’ time I think because we’ll know what’s going. People shouldn’t be under illusion that we’re gonna go, no no, we want to be paid fully then.

“If the game isn’t going, we understand that there’s a massive role for the players to take here. There'll be plenty of other cuts, we may see lists cut, we may see players’ jobs lost.”

Herald Sun lead football writer and AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson then suggested the AFLPA’s position had come out “combative”, in a time when the sides should be working together.

But Riewoldt defended the players and said they voted to play 22 games this year, rather than 17, because that would mean more money for the league as a whole - and save jobs.

“You think that we wanted to pay 22 games because we want all of our pay,” he said.

“It’s a direct correlation - 50 to 100 million dollars a round is lost when we don’t play footy. If we play five less rounds, say 250 million dollars, they’re the jobs that are being cut now.

“We’re not saying ‘we definitely want to play this’, we’re saying if you want us to play 22 games in a shortened time, we’re happy to do it. Because we don’t want jobs to be lost.

“It’s a pretty simple equation. More games, more money, more people have jobs.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tigers-star-jack-riewoldt-defends-players-after-afl-legends-irresponsible-pay-cut-criticism/news-story/4a3cb5d39392fa1a766c337e19b92136

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: AFL shuts down 2020 season indefinitely (Fox)
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
The players are a bunch of selfish pricks.

People are losing their jobs in their thousands each day and these pricks think they are special. 

They’ll send the competition under if they don’t cop the same as everyone else

Jack ‘look at me’ Riewoldt is talking poo as usual also.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »
Love Jack, but I don't believe for one moment the players are trying to save the jobs of others by playing more games.

Even without a bushfire + fundraiser the players would put their hand up for a state of origin match any day, just to say that they had the privilege to play against the best of the best.

It's all about money. AFL careers aren't usually that long and most players don't earn the big $$$. They're just like us - they plan their lives around their incomes, their mortgage, school for their kids etc. Unfortunately though they have dug their own grave on this one and because they wanted a piece of the profits now they have to take a piece of the losses.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »
Problem for the players and Jack and now Dangerfield (his waffle on SEN this morning was insulting) don't realise is that their argument doesn't pass the "pub test" or as my law friend calls it "the reasonable person test"

To say they need more info is insulting....

Suggest they jump in their cars and drive past their latest Centrelink and look at the queues...

or better yet pick up the phone and call every person from their respective clubs who have already been stood down or lost their jobs for more info on how this impacting the game NOW.

Players on the big contracts wont lose their jobs.... so many of the co-workers wont be so lucky
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 12:45:30 PM »
cant believe these blokes.

I must say as much as scott is a flog, what he did with clarko was fantastic

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
Hardwick should do the same. All the coaches are loaded.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
Hardwick should do the same. All the coaches are loaded.

All coaches have taken a cut

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 02:13:01 PM »
cant believe these blokes.

I must say as much as scott is a flog, what he did with clarko was fantastic

Agree Frankie

Well said

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
The players are a bunch of selfish pricks.

People are losing their jobs in their thousands each day and these pricks think they are special. 

They’ll send the competition under if they don’t cop the same as everyone else

Jack ‘look at me’ Riewoldt is talking poo as usual also.

Going to go into bat here for Jack and partially retract my whack a couple of posts back

Jist Watched a snippet of him on AFL360 last night talk about the RFC and the people who've been stood down

He was incredibly emotional when talking out our Club and those terrific people who don't know of they are going to have job to go back to... he sounded crushed

But my whacks at Dangerfield stand.  >:(

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »
Players
Whatever cut they take
Well the club can keep that % of my membership
Sounds fair to me

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'You live in a bigger bubble than I thought': Caroline Wilson rips Jack Riewoldt over bushfire comments

By Chris De Silva
Nine WWOS
26 March 2020

Veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson has ripped Richmond star Jack Riewoldt after he used the players' participation in the State of Origin for Bushfire Relief clash as evidence of players' selflessness.

Riewoldt issued the comments in response to AFL great Leigh Matthews saying that he was disappointed with the current crop of players for their involvement in the AFL's pay dispute.

"We've only got to go back three weeks and 45-50 of the best players of the game put their hand up said (they) will help Australia raise $8 million and put (their) bodies on the line," he told Fox Footy.

"We want to be a part of helping people that have been through bushfires."

However, Wilson, who admitted that Riewoldt was her favourite player, was left incredibly disappointed by the Richmond star's comments.

"This arrow is directed at whoever it was at the Players' Association who advised AFL footballers to use their participation in that bushfire relief game as a selfless act. Please," she told Footy Classified.

"Sure it was a great event and a lot of players gave up their time, as many did money, for a critical cause.

"Jack, and it pains me to say this, you are my favourite player, but bodies on the line? This was a fun, bruise-free kick and giggle. I would have thought to do so much good at a critical time was a privilege and a gift.

"Whoever it is, if you actually believe that what you did was a sacrificial act, then you live in a bigger bubble than I thought.

"What a pity you have used such a wonderful thing as a bargaining tool in a PR battle you are losing so badly."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/caroline-wilson-slams-players-for-using-bushfire-appeal-to-display-selflessness/64b43712-b05b-4d08-861e-6a3cc92e7e0e

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
'You live in a bigger bubble than I thought': Caroline Wilson rips Jack Riewoldt over bushfire comments

By Chris De Silva
Nine WWOS
26 March 2020

Veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson has ripped Richmond star Jack Riewoldt after he used the players' participation in the State of Origin for Bushfire Relief clash as evidence of players' selflessness.

Riewoldt issued the comments in response to AFL great Leigh Matthews saying that he was disappointed with the current crop of players for their involvement in the AFL's pay dispute.

"We've only got to go back three weeks and 45-50 of the best players of the game put their hand up said (they) will help Australia raise $8 million and put (their) bodies on the line," he told Fox Footy.

"We want to be a part of helping people that have been through bushfires."

However, Wilson, who admitted that Riewoldt was her favourite player, was left incredibly disappointed by the Richmond star's comments.

"This arrow is directed at whoever it was at the Players' Association who advised AFL footballers to use their participation in that bushfire relief game as a selfless act. Please," she told Footy Classified.

"Sure it was a great event and a lot of players gave up their time, as many did money, for a critical cause.

"Jack, and it pains me to say this, you are my favourite player, but bodies on the line? This was a fun, bruise-free kick and giggle. I would have thought to do so much good at a critical time was a privilege and a gift.

"Whoever it is, if you actually believe that what you did was a sacrificial act, then you live in a bigger bubble than I thought.

"What a pity you have used such a wonderful thing as a bargaining tool in a PR battle you are losing so badly."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/caroline-wilson-slams-players-for-using-bushfire-appeal-to-display-selflessness/64b43712-b05b-4d08-861e-6a3cc92e7e0e

Full disclosure - I don't have a particularly high opinion of Caroline Wilson and her tendency to sneer and talk over guests on the show,  and I watched Footy Classified last night as this arrow was launched I saw nothing to change my opinion.  I often see things differently to the masses but when you watch the full segments Jack has participated in on AFL360 the last couple of weeks and then see just how out of context those comments were taken to create a story and when Eddie M is the one making sense well the world is being turned around.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 09:54:34 AM »
If they want to retain employees at their club then everyone should take a 50% paycut to support those guys being laid off.

Dangerfield whinging that players are still required to train FMD haha

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
I wonder if the club will pause monthly membership payments themselves?  That would probably be the right thing to do.  They can keep my 2 memberships coming out as it doesn't really worry me but people will begin to struggle financially soon and this is a non essential expense. 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 10:42:57 AM »
I wonder if the club will pause monthly membership payments themselves?  That would probably be the right thing to do.  They can keep my 2 memberships coming out as it doesn't really worry me but people will begin to struggle financially soon and this is a non essential expense.

One of the many things the Clubs and AFL are working through

If people want their payments stopped they can call the club and they will oblige

It's an individual call to make

Personally, have made the call that they can continue to take my monthly payments, so many great people at that are being stood down; just want to help