Author Topic: Richmond is off to the Queensland hub on the Gold Coast  (Read 36887 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond is off to the Queensland hub on the Gold Coast
« Reply #285 on: September 07, 2020, 08:27:10 PM »
Jack Riewoldt:

It's a team sport. Two players made a series of poor choices but we are not going to ostracize them. We are going to own this as a group, use it as another learning experience, and rebuild the respect we've lost as a club and as a brand.

We're hurting too as it went against our club ethos. Take real exception to being 'arrogant' as a club.

:clapping

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #286 on: September 07, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
Can someone please talk about Bucks punishment ( or lack there of ) Like wtf

Fat Ed was comfortable with the punishment so Gill the Dill signed it off.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #287 on: September 07, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »
‘We are bloody hurting’: Jack Riewoldt’s raw insight into ‘sombre’ Tigers camp

September 7, 2020 8:52pm
Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt has provided a raw insight into the “sombre” mood among the club’s playing group and admitted it was on “heightened alert” to avoid another off-field misdemeanour.

Riewoldt’s comments come after teammates Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones both copped 10-game suspensions, while the Tigers were hit with a $100,000 fine, after the pair were involved in a 3am scuffle outside a Gold Coast strip club.

Speaking on his SEN program Tiger Time, Riewoldt said it’d been “pretty difficult” period of time for the players and there’d been a “sombre mood around the hub”.

“We’ve had we’ve had two young men make a lot of very poor decisions and the easy thing to do is to ostracise them from the group and say ‘that was their choice’. But the sign of a good football club and the sign of a good organisation is that we own it,” Riewoldt told SEN.

Riewoldt said the “decent whack” the club had copped from commentators and fans was deserved but also “cut the deepest and the most”.

“We feel like we’re a great organisation and we’ve had a couple of young men that have made the decision to pull against the fabric of our organisation – and it really hurts,” he said.

Stack and Coleman-Jones’ error was the second breach of the AFL’s COVID-19 protocols by people connected to the Tigers.

Should the club breach protocols a third time, it’d face losing premiership points and draft selections.

Riewoldt said the playing group understood the consequences of their actions, adding they “only have ourselves to blame”.

But the dual premiership forward declared “you can’t take it as a failure of two people”.

“This is a team sport and we’re not going to ostracise the boys and throw them out. We’re going to own it – and I think the club’s done that really well,” he said.

“They’ve gone against the grain of what we’re about. The majority of our actions – and I mean, 99.999 per cent – are of solid, good-cultured football club and a club that is built on respect and built on connection, built on love and built on care for each other. But these two young men, they made two really poor decisions.

“That’s not going to define us in the back-end of the season … We’ve got to learn our lesson from it because we’re in a position where we’re right on the borderline of going over into the next stage of punishments, which are pretty severe.

“So we’re on heightened alert as well. We know that we need to maintain the regulations, as every side does up here.”

Riewoldt said the club’s brand had taken a hit but took umbrage with suggestions the club had become “arrogant”.

“We’ve got some extremely humble people in here and they would cringe hearing that and I would cringe about them saying that about our people,” he said.

“The brand has really been affected – and it’s a brand that we do so much work on … We do some amazing things in the Alannah & Madeline Foundation space, Black Lives Mater I feel like we’ve been the industry leader, KGI and all these other programs that happen behind the scenes that players put a lot of energy in and staff at this football club put a lot of energy in – and that’s been really hurt by this.

“Yes we’ve stuffed up, yes the brand has been affected and yes we’ve lost some respect from people in the industry, from other supporters and from our own supporters who would be feeling down about the way that the club’s been painted at the moment. But culture is what you do next. How do you bounce back? How do you prepare and put this behind you and get ready for Friday night in a massive game of AFL football? How do you look after your people to get them through and get them going again?

“I have a firm and strong belief the leaders that we have around this club – and that’s players, Peggy, Brendan, Dimma, everyone that’s in a senior management position – is pushing in the right direction. We’ve had a couple of slip-ups and a couple of massive blues, but we are pushing in the right direction. We learn, we grow and we’ve been planted again. It will be the true showing of culture.”

Asked if he had a message for Richmond fans, Riewoldt said: “I just empathise with them and say that we are in that position as well.

“There’s players here that are guttered, absolutely guttered about what’s happened because they’ve been dragged into something that is so against the grain of their own ethos and the club ethos.

“The last thing that the players want is to be in the media for the wrong reasons and that’s all I can really say is that we are bloody hurting. It’s really cut deep in a lot of our guys and I think that’s what steels us to go: ‘How can I make up for this mistake? How can I get the get love and get the connection back to those fans that have been hurt?’ Because we’ve got 100,000 members that have paid their money up.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-jack-riewoldt-on-sen-sydney-stack-and-callum-coleman-jones-fight-at-strip-club/news-story/ea9f48c339dedcbe05c38fc1821a305c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2020, 10:14:53 PM »
Craddock says he’d heard whispers of more protocol breaches on the Gold Coast, where a number of Victorian clubs are currently staying.

“I heard Richmond CEO Brendon Gale say it’s all about winning … some people are onto it and I know our reporters on the Gold Coast and they were sniffing around a couple of other stories that they couldn’t get up,” he said.

“They believe there were more (breaches) involving other people.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09/07/how-richmond-could-cost-annastacia-palaszczuk-the-queensland-election/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2020, 05:24:15 AM »
Lloyd on Footy Classified said if he had been in a situation where he had let down his club to such a degree he would feel the need to pay or at least contribute to the fine.

Caro mentioned the Club is looking at such things as coming to an agreement whereby Stack and CCJ agree to pay off the fine over years rather than in one hit which the AFLPA won't allow. Eg: A $150k p.a. contract would become a $125k p.a. contract or something similar.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »
Richmond great Matthew Richardson launches impassioned defence after 'over the top' criticism

Glenn Valencich
7News
9 September 2020 12:59 pm

Tigers great Matthew Richardson has launched an impassioned defence of his former club ahead of Richmond’s return to the field in a top-four clash with Geelong on Friday night.

The reigning premiers have not played since last Wednesday, two days before Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones’ drunken night out on the Gold Coast.

The young teammates were banned for 10 games by the AFL and ordered to leave the Tigers’ Queensland hub.

Criticism came thick and fast after an earlier COVID-19 protocol breach involving Trent Cotchin’s wife Brooke had already pushed Richmond further into the spotlight.

But Richardson says the idea that the Tigers have a culture problem is laughable.

“(Club chief executive Brendon) Gale and the club released a statement saying they need to be better. But if you look at it in isolation two young guys made a mistake,” he told 7NEWS.com.au on Wednesday.

“How is that related to the former breach that happened a month or so ago with Brooke Cotchin? They’re not really related at all.

The Tigers will return on Friday bidding to answer questions about their motivations against the Cats, their top-four rivals and the most in-form team in the competition.

“The narrative will come up - is it going to derail Richmond’s season?” Richardson said of the fallout to the latest breaches.

“If they lose to Geelong people will start talking that (up) but I don’t think it is.

“They’ve had a pretty good year on field. Of course those two breaches were disappointing but I don’t think they’re related at all.

“It was a huge mistake. They’ve paid severely for it but if you’re trying to make out there’s big deep-seated issues at Richmond I think that’s trying to make something out of it that’s not there.”

Richardson said the Tigers must back up their words with actions and ensure Stack and Coleman-Jones, if they’re prepared to put in the hard yards, are given the chance to succeed.

The players will not be available until at least round five next season.

“(They’ve) been dealt with harshly, don’t worry about that,” Richardson said.

“I don’t think you can hang them out to dry now as players. You need to support them and help them.

“I’m sure this could be a real turning point for them in their careers - if they want to learn something from that.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-great-launches-impassioned-defence-after-over-the-top-criticism-c-1302572

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
 :clapping :bow Richo

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »
Nice change from his ridiculous overcompensating commentary during our games... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2020, 10:30:17 PM »
Nice change from his ridiculous overcompensating commentary during our games... :shh
Agreed.

Richo is annoying the way he goes too far the other way...

Time is right Richo to be a Tiger again.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2020, 10:53:40 PM »
So Bennell’s hub breach was Melbournes second indiscretion. Can anyone explain why they copped a 50k fine compared to our 100k and why Bennell got 4 games compared to CCJ and Stacks 10 games?????

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2020, 05:30:25 AM »
So Bennell’s hub breach was Melbournes second indiscretion. Can anyone explain why they copped a 50k fine compared to our 100k and why Bennell got 4 games compared to CCJ and Stacks 10 games?????
Like Collingwood, the Dees first breach wasn't in Queensland.

We copped the double whammy and more severe penalties because both of ours occurred up north.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-covid19-breach-timeline-sydney-stack-callum-colemanjones-strip-club/news-story/6a344e91a33810379b45a1b4a3fb448a

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: September 21, 2020, 01:17:49 PM »
2 players involved also maybe why it's 100K

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2021, 05:54:40 AM »
‘I was suicidal’: Brooke Cotchin’s hub hell revealed

The wife of Richmond captain Trent Cotchin has tearfully revealed she considered ending her life amid the fallout of a AFL hub breach.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/brooke-cotchin-reveals-she-was-was-suicidal-after-breaching-covid-rules-while-in-afl-hub/news-story/1313eb8eeb7e56bd42d0e0e650c6a886

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2021, 07:33:32 AM »
I too was suicidal reading that article
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2021, 07:39:46 AM »
Gez honestly not this again in the media.No one told her to go up in the first place and alot people in our community doing it tough to.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:17:49 AM by georgies31 »